muffler delete pipe for stock exhaust - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
muffler delete pipe for stock exhaust

Who makes a muffler delete pipe for the stock exhaust system?
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: muffler delete pipe for stock exhaust

I was going to buy this...

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

...but I ended up just going to a local exhaust shop instead. They cut the muffler out, welded a piece of pipe and a couple hangers in its place for $65, all in about 30 minutes.
licketysplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I went to a local muffler shop also! Like $40, and 30 minutes.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

How does the 6.0 sound with the muffler delete? Is it still easy to hold a conservation over the exhaust? Also does it get annoying on long interstate trips?
Westen Bull bar with PIAA 520 Driving Lights, Silverstar Bulbs in Headlights and PIAA lights, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake Controller, Reese 10,000 pound Weight Distribution Hitch, Reese Gooseneck hitch, Viper Alarm System with Remote Start, Bully Dog A-Pillar Gauges(Boost, EGT, and Trans Temp.), Tinted Windows, UWS "fifth wheel" tool box, Micky Thompson Classic II's surrounded by BFG All-Terrain 285-75R16 Tires, JVC DVD headunit with XM radio and Ipod hookup, 4-8" inch Memphis subs, Memphis 5x7 components in all four corners all powered by a Memphis Big Belle

2006 Acura RSX Type S - Pioneer AVIC-D3 with navi and iPold, AEM cold air intake
Got_Torque_570 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

I put one in about a year ago. Since, I have had the truck from PA to Alaska and back. Under normal conditions the change is negligable. But give 'er a little fuel and it sounds great. Especially in a tunnel! At idle my ehaust sounds like a jet engine spooling up. Nothing but the wonderfull sound of a turbo spinning. I ordered mine from some place in the south that made parts for large trucks. I had a few problems installing the pipe. I ended up cutting off the mout aft of the cat and then cutting the exhaust a few inches fore of the cat. I then removed this section-- cut out the cat and welded the new piece to the remaining pipe. I used a clamp to reattach it to the exhaust system. After installation I was unhappy with the play in the system so I welded on a new support. Go for it... it's a cheap change that makes a great difference.
capp07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2005, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

got torque,
I just took mine in today and cut the muffler off, and left the cat. I find myself wondering why ford even put the muffler on it to begin with. The truck exhaust sounds much more like the truck should sound, in my opinion. It is not obnoxious at all, much like a v8 with free flowing exhaust and a little turbo whine. I do service work out of my truck, and cannot go job to job sounding like ricky rodeo, but find this mod to be a good inexpensive one.

Sprinkler Repair Austin Tx
Austin, TX Sprinker Repair FAQ
www.fixmyheads.com
03six0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Does it sound at all like a 7.3 litre with a straight pipe?

Also did you notice any change in the EGT, both empty and towing after the muffler delete?
Westen Bull bar with PIAA 520 Driving Lights, Silverstar Bulbs in Headlights and PIAA lights, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake Controller, Reese 10,000 pound Weight Distribution Hitch, Reese Gooseneck hitch, Viper Alarm System with Remote Start, Bully Dog A-Pillar Gauges(Boost, EGT, and Trans Temp.), Tinted Windows, UWS "fifth wheel" tool box, Micky Thompson Classic II's surrounded by BFG All-Terrain 285-75R16 Tires, JVC DVD headunit with XM radio and Ipod hookup, 4-8" inch Memphis subs, Memphis 5x7 components in all four corners all powered by a Memphis Big Belle

2006 Acura RSX Type S - Pioneer AVIC-D3 with navi and iPold, AEM cold air intake
Old 08-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

Im thinking of doing this mod also,wish someone would make one that we could bolt on as my muffler shop isnt as "cool" as you guys,they wouldnt take mine off for me...
H&S Mini maxx
Warn GenII winch mount
Smitty Built 12K winch
2" Autospring leveling kit
35/12.50/20 Toyo M/T's
Real Rancho shocks w/dual steering stabilzers
6k HID Headlights/Fogs
Adj.High Idle mod

08' SD CC 6.4L 4x4 (Sold)
06' SD CC 6.0L 4x4 (traded)

12' CanAm 1000 XT in Camo
06' Cat 420D 4x4 Backhoe Loader/Cab&Air
http://community.webshots.com/user/hdsilverado
Rutcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sounds nothing like a 7.3 with a straight pipe. I couldnt take towing with my 7.3 straight and ended up putting it back on. Its not poppy and doesnt drone like the 7.3 did, it has a rumble like a v8 gasser, but much less noisy than 7.3 was. Barely notice the sound in the cab now. My egts have dropped, although I havent towed yet so I dont know exactly how much. Maybee 75-100 degrees. Truck has a slightly more powerful feel, less turbo lag. Itp has a delete kit. Doesnt make any sense why they would not take it off, diesels dont have to have one from my understanding.

Sprinkler Repair Austin Tx
Austin, TX Sprinker Repair FAQ
www.fixmyheads.com
03six0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rutcutter,

I purchased my delete pipe from Auto Jet in Des Moines, Iowa. It cost me about $80.00 and I had to put it on. Nobody around my area, eastern Iowa, had the equipment to bend 3 1/2" pipe. Sounds MUCH nicer!! Very easy to do, just need a reciprocating saw. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

What's the sound like. Anyone able to attach it to a wave file or something?

I want a little more turbo noise/whine but nothing like the redneck straight pipes every half wit puts on there 1/2 ton's.

More whistle that's all.
RMJ_Motorsports Silver 2004 F-350 SC FX4 9900lbs, camper pack, 15K hitch, lighted/heated mirrors, clearance lights, truexdo cover, 5" oval aluminum ford running boards (04/04 from what the stickers and data plates say but built in late Oct/early Nov-03)
rmjmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2005, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
What's the sound like. Anyone able to attach it to a wave file or something?

I want a little more turbo noise/whine but nothing like the redneck straight pipes every half wit puts on there 1/2 ton's.

More whistle that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly! Anyone have a wave file?

'84 CJ7,TBI I6, SM465, D300, 4.88's, D44/ARB front, 9"/Detroit rear, SOA, 37" MT/R's, OBA, HS9500i.

1MutCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2005, 02:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

how many times can you guys beat a dead horse damm if you went out and did the mod it woulld allready be done but insted you are in here on the computer pulling your pud talkin about it and a wave file dam just go do it all ready
v8jeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

The truck has a little more rumble when you get on the pedal, but is no where near a straight piped 7.3 without the cat. I think that most people get scared because they hear those straight piped Cummins' that sounds god awful if you ask me. The sound is no where near that. Took mine in for tranny and injector recall the other day service guys liked the way it sounded, and had no problem with the mod.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

I went to 2 different shops today to see about having this done, so far both refused to do it. First shop claimed that by decreasing the back pressure I would loose power and the only way to go is a 4" Bully Dog exhaust. Second shop said that by removing the muffler it will decrease the back pressure. The drop in back pressure would really mess up the computer, destroy the computer and cause me to have major problems.

I though that back pressure didn't matter with the turbo diesels, if anything the less pressure the better. Am I right in that thinking?

Has anyone notice a decrease in power or a check engine light or anything to confirm either one of these stories?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.