NEED HELP DECIDING- EGR COOLER VS. DELETE AND - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation NEED HELP DECIDING- EGR COOLER VS. DELETE AND

Injector question- Ok, egr is shot (again) and 6 out of 8 injectors are on there way out. I'm in MI & have an '04 f250 w/ 106k on it.

1. Are there any longevity issues concerns with an egr delete kit vs a bulletproof/upgraded cooler? Any mpg differences? I'm pretty hard on my truck, so reliablility is a huge thing.

2. are standard injectors ok if I'm looking at adding a tuner and some pressure, or do i need customized. Can my existing (failing) injectors be rebuilt, or do i need to get new ones?

3.what else should I have the mechanic do "while he's in there?" that will give me those most preventative and performance bang for the buck. I need the parts to come in around 3k max. (dealer wants $4400 for 6 injectors, oil & egr coolers-all stock-ouch!)

Thanks in Advance
sdoubledub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoubledub View Post
Injector question- Ok, egr is shot (again) and 6 out of 8 injectors are on there way out. I'm in MI & have an '04 f250 w/ 106k on it.

1. Are there any longevity issues concerns with an egr delete kit vs a bulletproof/upgraded cooler? Any mpg differences? I'm pretty hard on my truck, so reliablility is a huge thing.

2. are standard injectors ok if I'm looking at adding a tuner and some pressure, or do i need customized. Can my existing (failing) injectors be rebuilt, or do i need to get new ones?

3.what else should I have the mechanic do "while he's in there?" that will give me those most preventative and performance bang for the buck. I need the parts to come in around 3k max. (dealer wants $4400 for 6 injectors, oil & egr coolers-all stock-ouch!)

Thanks in Advance
1.I know of no issues of a EGR Delete vs bulletproof. Overall, the engine will run much better without an EGR but unless you intend to make your truck an offroad only vech. it is illegal

2. Standard injectors are fine unless you want to add much more power. You should be more concerned with keeping your fuel pressure up on the injectors and the fuel going into them clean. Those are the two biggest killers for 6.0 Injectors.

3. Want to be safe? Change your headgaskets out, although im sure that will be out of your price range. These trucks really should be studded whenever possible.
5% 3M Tinting
Viper 791XV with Remote Start
152dB Kleinn 3-Trumpet Horn System
Dakota Digital Gauges
T409 MBRP Straight Pipe
AFE Stage II Intake
HARPOONED Fuel Tank
2003 10 Vane Turbocharger
Blacked Out Harley-Davidson Edition Headlamps
ARP Head Studs
AVIC-Z2 In-Dash Navigation System
205cc Elite Sticks
Coolant Filter
Elite Regulated Return Fuel System
FS2500 Oil Filter
HPOP STC Replaced

My Pictures
cmirabile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just had to deal with the same decision you did last week.

I had 3 bad injectors, and 158k on the truck, so I decided to replace all of the injectors.

I live in Chicago, but haven't found or heard of any decent shops around here. Ended taking the truck to River City Diesel down in East Peoria, IL. They rebuild my injectors (155 mm, largest they recommended with the stock turbo) and added an SCT for me. So far, I'm pretty happy with the results. I ended up having them delete the EGR while in there, since I was planning on doing that later.

As for delete vs. bulletproof, my reasoning was price.

Good luck
naperkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naperkin View Post
I just had to deal with the same decision you did last week.

I had 3 bad injectors, and 158k on the truck, so I decided to replace all of the injectors.

I live in Chicago, but haven't found or heard of any decent shops around here. Ended taking the truck to River City Diesel down in East Peoria, IL. They rebuild my injectors (155 mm, largest they recommended with the stock turbo) and added an SCT for me. So far, I'm pretty happy with the results. I ended up having them delete the EGR while in there, since I was planning on doing that later.

As for delete vs. bulletproof, my reasoning was price.

Good luck
What was the cost savings to have the injectors rebuilt vs buying remanufactured (on ebay for $180)? Pardon my ignorance, but is an SCT a tuner? Curious if you have a tuner- make/ model and what your results have been since the delete and injector rebuild. Thanks in advance
sdoubledub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Delete ur egr n beat it with a hammer after! Ya ya its illegal but so is dealin drugs n ppl get away with that every bloody day.
Edge juice w/ attitude ( unlocked)
Banks Intercooler, Hi ram intake n tubes
Twin Optima yellow tops
BD 5" exhaust
Snow Performance Water/Methanol injection w 7 gallon tank (water only)
EGR Delete Kit
Silverline twin 8" slash cut stacks
New stock Ford Hpop
New stock Ford oil cooler (waiting for BD's version of remote cooler filter kit)
Garrett Powermax GT3788VA Turbo
Airaid cold air intake
Zoodad mod
10.5 " Procomp lift (really 8.5 w some mods)
42" good year wranglers w Kevlar sidewalls
5" Bushwacker cut out Flares
Goodhood Dual ram air fiberglass hood from US body
90 F250 Extended cab long box 460 auto
57 Mercury stepside
fordnatic68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoubledub View Post
What was the cost savings to have the injectors rebuilt vs buying remanufactured (on ebay for $180)? Pardon my ignorance, but is an SCT a tuner? Curious if you have a tuner- make/ model and what your results have been since the delete and injector rebuild. Thanks in advance
The dealer wanted over $200 / injector. The place I took my truck did a little work on the injectors too. They are now 155 mm injectors, so this added a little more power. The cost was $1500 for the injectors, plus the labor to install. The 155 mm are the largest injectors they recommended for a stock turbo.

Yes, the SCT is a tuner. I have their Livewire, but not sure if I'd buy that again. Great tuner, but using it as a monitor, it is a bit of a pain. You have to manually turn it on and off each time I use the truck.

It's been about a week and a half since I got the truck back. No issues, but there shouldn't be at this point in time.
155 mm injectors
SCT Livewire with River City Diesel custom tunes
RCD EGR delete
Custom sound dampening
Pioneer AVIC-X910 In dash Nav
Boston Accoustics 6 1/2 components all around
320 W amp to power
Viper 5901 remote start
158,000 miles
naperkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.