The Diesel Stop banner

Oil Cooler upgrade

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  FionaThe02PSD 
#1 ·
I am the proud new owner of an 05 F350 with 150000 miles. I want to do whats necessary to keep it going another 150000. I am going to be doing a egr delete. Do I need to replace the oil cooler or, is doing a good flushing, refilling with proper coolant, and adding an external filter all that is necessary? If replacement (of the cooler) is recommended is the Ford OEM unit OK? Was it recently improved/updated to be more efficient? If so what is the part # I need to look for? Is there a better aftermarket unit? Your help is much appriciated.

#3 ·
IMO, I would replace oil cooler at the same time as egr kit. The newer coolers have a better sump screen than the original and if it's original, it's probably due. Also, while you're there, install updated STC fitting, standpipes and dummy plugs. Then when money permits, you could add (a good investment) a coolant filter with flush and do the "Blue Spring" upgrade to keep your injectors happy.

#4 ·
Like Marks said, check your numbers with a scanner. If you do decide to do your oil cooler and egr delete, you might as well do the STC fitting while you are in there. It will be SO easy with all that stuff out of the way. I just did my oil cooler and egr last week. I did my STC fitting long ago and wish I would have done the cooler and egr cooler at the same time. Much easier. I used new "upgraded" stock oil cooler and sinister egr cooler. Went with a "basis solution" from sinister diesel. See link below. I don't know about everyone, but some have reported mpg loss with the egr delete. Not sure if that is the truth though. But here are a few links. Basic Solution Coolant filter

#5 ·
If you have the funds look at the products from Bulletproof Diesel. They make an improved EGR cooler and a kick butt oil cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.