Poor Fuel mileage - need help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Poor Fuel mileage - need help

I have a 2003 F250 6.0 and am only getting around 14.5 mpg. Does the whining of the turbo have anything to do with the bad mileage? Any suggestions on what would cause the fuel mileage to be that low or how to fix it? Oil changes and upkeep is up to date and regular. It is getting to the point I may have to trade it in and I love my truck.
jasonk_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonk_5 View Post
I have a 2003 F250 6.0 and am only getting around 14.5 mpg. Does the whining of the turbo have anything to do with the bad mileage? Any suggestions on what would cause the fuel mileage to be that low or how to fix it? Oil changes and upkeep is up to date and regular. It is getting to the point I may have to trade it in and I love my truck.
I wish 14.5 was poor for me! I average about 14.2 and always have. Do you have a fuel psi gauche? I woukd check psi and see if it could be related to poor psi. Sorry, wish I could be of more help. Low fuel pressure could be from regulator being weak or a pump problem even which I would imagine could cause a mpg problem.
Quad Pod w/ EGT, EOT, ECT, Fuel PSI Glowshift Elite 7 series Gauges
MBRP 4" TurboBack off-road
Leveling Kit
20" Moto Metal 957's
295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Vortex Spray in Liner

02 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 auto 7.3L PSD. w/Bullydog 6 position flip chip.

00 Excursion V10 4x4 Limited - SOLD
96 F-250 PSD SOLD
94 Mustang GT H/C/I and NX kit SOLD
95 GT VERT all stock (wifes car)
jamartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

14.5 seems about right from what most people are getting. I'll get any where from 13mpg in the winter time to 14 to 14.5mpg in the summer driving back & forth to work. 90% of the driving that I do is four lane highway (65 to 70mph). The mpg does go up if I do two lane driving. I have gotten as high as 17mpg (only once) doing two lane roads (55 to 60mph).

Towing our camper the mileage is even worse. I'll get anywhere from 8mpg to the occasional 10mpg.
| River City Diesel EGR Delete | Blue Spring Upgrade
High Idle Mod | ARP Studs

2009 30ft Puma Travel Trailer | Approx 8000lbs when loaded up for the weekend!!
hawkeyediesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

14.5 may not be bad, or it may be horrible, depending on what kid of driving you're doing when you're getting it.

But if you have to sell the truck because you're getting 14.5, what kind of MPG are you expecting to get? If you could turn that into 20 MPG, how much savings is that really, and does it justify selling/trading the truck for anything any where close to the same kind of vehicle?

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (64)
Welcome to the site JasonK 5, it would help us all a bit if you filled out your signature with the specific info on your truck; (i.e.; mods, etc) so we all know what you have.

That being said, I am averaging anywhere from 15.5 to 16.5 on a yearly average for the past 6 years.

To me, IMO, a yearly average is the best way to get an accurate idea of exactly what you're fuel consumption is.

I have a log book from day 1 and get a receipt for my fuel every time I fill up. I crunch the numbers in the beginning of January every year.

Talking about receipts, its a good idea to get one each fill up because once I had a fuel jockey pump 14 gallons of gasoline in my tank from the diesel pump and held them accountable for it. Couldn't have done it without that receipt. Just sayin.

All the best

Eng Bld: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
2825 Hrs +/-, 101K Miles - No Major Probs other than brakes
DC Power 185 Alternator
ZOODAD, SEIC,
Atlas 40 FICM @ 90K
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315 - 70R17 Duratrac's
Centramatics
Bodiak Front Receiver
SG2
Coolant Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W Oil added 1oz/Gallon Fuel
Band_Member is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Depending on the manufacturing of the turbo,the power and the mileage of the vehicle varies.The maintenance of the vehicle is one of the concerns in shortening mileage which depends on the performance,quality training and experience of the driver.
binakaradia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

They're are several factors that determine mpg's as stated above. I don't do a lot of highway driving and I have a short drive to work, I get around 14.5mpg in my 05. On the four lane it goes up. I got about 17.8-18.3mpg the last road trip I took and that was going around 60-65. Of course pulling my travel trailer changes everything. People don't really buy superduty trucks for their fuel mileage. My advice is to keep the truck you love and don't focus on what mileage it's getting.
ggford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have a 04 6.0L and typically get 14.5 to 15.5 "around town" depending on where and how I have been driving.
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook moniter (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer Yaesu FTM-10R & a Comet CSB 770A
Matt0987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

We have a F250 2007 6.0 4x4 4door short box,we got it at the end of last summer,we got it to pull our 6500lb travle trailer, and that is about all we use it for,I thought we where getting about 14 mpg loaded last year but we just got back from a long trip and we where at 9mpg, I will be sellling this truck we have a few friends that have the 7.3 diesels and they are getting 13mpg pulling 20,000 lbs and 19mpg empty.

The 6.0 cost to much for me to run at this mileage. Diesel fuel cost about 0.45 cents a gal more filters & oil cost more. I can go to a big block gaser and get 9or10mpg but I will most likely look for a 7.3 my truck is also due for a service so I am getting ready to change oil and fuel filters and if the mileage doesn't get better than I was going to take it back to the shop and have it looked at I was thinking something was wrong. I was driving 62 to 65 mph on the trip we just took I-35 and hwy53 and hwy52 in MN. I love this truck and I am heart broken now.
dinomack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can understand your disappointment. Here, diesel cost is comparative to premium gas. And w/ the volume of oil and the cost of filters the trucks must be up to efficency or they are just not worth the expense. Though the torque of a diesel is very strong.

I have both. A 7.3 Ex and a 6.0. F350. An '03 and an '04 respectively. You can see my 6.0 milege up a paragraph or two. The 7.3 gets about 11 around town and 20 +/- on the highway doing 65 or 70. I pulled a car trailer about 1100 miles once in the 7.3 and got 18 HWY.

Does yours have the exhaust regenerator? (Or, whatever it is called.) I read, when they system first came out, that the MPGs were way down - 5 or 6 MPGs - due to the system dumping fuel into the regenerator to burn off the diesel fumes. You may want to check into that system if you have it. The system was one of the reasons I did not turn in my '04 6.0 at the time. By the way... I still have my 6.0, though I only have 80,000 miles on it, and it is running good.

Not having the regenerator system I have not followed the forum writings regarding it. Perhaps there is a way to improve, or bypass, it if it is the reason for the poor milege. Only legally of course. I am not suggesting you do anything illegal.
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook moniter (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer Yaesu FTM-10R & a Comet CSB 770A
Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rub

Were you always getting 14.5 or did something change and you dropped to 14.5? Personally my 06 gets 17-19 with cruise set at 70mph no winds, down to 16 with head wind. If mine suddenly dropped to 14.5 without a check engine light I would change my fuel filters, air filter and clean the egr. If it that did not fix it I would take it in to the dealer.
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Were you always getting 14.5 or did something change and you dropped to 14.5? Personally my 06 gets 17-19 with cruise set at 70mph no winds, down to 16 with head wind. If mine suddenly dropped to 14.5 without a check engine light I would change my fuel filters, air filter and clean the egr. If it that did not fix it I would take it in to the dealer.
I am not sure if you are asking Dinomac or me. So, I will reply. I get the indicated milege w/ my 6.0 around town. I am not sure what I get on the highway with my 6.0 as I do not take it on trips. The truck is used for my construction business on the San Francisco, Ca., peninsula. No pleasure driving. So my milege is combined. Freeway, around town, emply, loaded to the max, towing, loaded and towing. Hills and flat.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0987 View Post
I am not sure if you are asking Dinomac or me. So, I will reply. I get the indicated milege w/ my 6.0 around town. I am not sure what I get on the highway with my 6.0 as I do not take it on trips. The truck is used for my construction business on the San Francisco, Ca., peninsula. No pleasure driving. So my milege is combined. Freeway, around town, emply, loaded to the max, towing, loaded and towing. Hills and flat.
Sorry, I was asking Jsonk5. If anyone is getting 14.5 mixed driving IMO that would be best case scenario. I have owned two 6.0's and my 04 Ex was 11-13 mixed, my 06 F350 is 13-15 mixed. I also had a 00 7.3 Ex and did not see any better than my F350 mpg. My 06 F350 might be a rare case but I see 18mpg hwy all the time at 70-75mph. My best mpg is setting my cruise at 65 and see up to 20mpg.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
I can see anywhere from 11-17mph. I get the best mpg unloaded, with correct pressure in the tires, stock tire sizes and driving 60-65mph on the highway. On flat ground and going down hill only. This has been the norm on 2 trucks. When I went larger than stock tires the mpg went to the toilet.

Most people that gripe about mpgs have a lift and 35"+ tires and expect 20mpg. Wrap your mind around the fact it is a 7000-8000lb barn with wheels. If you gained 6 mpg your still not going to make that huge of a difference in fuel cost by the time you consider paying tax title and lic on a new vehicle.
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbockguy1979 View Post
I can see anywhere from 11-17mph. I get the best mpg unloaded, with correct pressure in the tires, stock tire sizes and driving 60-65mph on the highway. On flat ground and going down hill only. This has been the norm on 2 trucks. When I went larger than stock tires the mpg went to the toilet.

Most people that gripe about mpgs have a lift and 35"+ tires and expect 20mpg. Wrap your mind around the fact it is a 7000-8000lb barn with wheels. If you gained 6 mpg your still not going to make that huge of a difference in fuel cost by the time you consider paying tax title and lic on a new vehicle.
I ordered my truck with the 20" wheels so the tire size was 34.4. I got tired of the hard ride of the 20's so I ordered 17" wheels and went up to 35" tires. I did have to do a 2" leveling block on the front springs to fit the slightly bigger/wider tires. I did not see my mpg go down with new wheel tire combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.