Regulated Fuel Return - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regulated Fuel Return

i have a nearly stock '06 6.0L F350. it is my daily driver and i pull a 30ft. camper with it at least 20 times a year. i am not planning on tuning it. i run an edge insight to monitor temps.

i have read about the dead end in the fuel line on each side of the engine. if i am planning on staying stock with injectors and exhaust, does it pay to put a regulated fuel return on ? i monitor fuel pressure with an autometer electronic gauge already.

i put on a dieselsite coolant filter, and also an amsoil bypass oil filter. i want to keep the truck a long time, 200,000 plus miles. i bought her with 53K, she has 57K on now. i only want to modify the truck to increase longevity, fuel mileage, or pulling power while not tuning it. i also just had the dealer do a coolant system flush, as i figure it will be good to use the heavy service maintenance schedule going forward.

thanks in advance for your opinions

Last edited by willingtonpaul; 03-04-2010 at 01:21 PM.
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

I learned from other members here that if your truck is stock and fuel pressure is in the 55-58 psi range, that any of those fuel system upgrades like reg return or the air dog and such, wont do much except lighten your wallet.

As long as the pressure is where it should be, our dead head system is ok.

My fuel pressure runs from 58-62 psi, but if it goes below 45psi thats when theres a problem. Then I would consider an upgrade.

Unless you just want some kind of fuel system upgrade for bragging rights, and money is no object, then go for it. Might not gain that much for the money tho.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkstarr View Post
Unless you just want some kind of fuel system upgrade for bragging rights, and money is no object, then go for it. Might not gain that much for the money tho.
This is correct.... Frankly, if you have fuel pressure problems on a stock truck, a regulated return is only going to delay the inevitable replacement of the pump.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster

Last edited by teamroper60; 03-04-2010 at 02:40 PM.
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks again for the replies....this is kind of what i thought but i was not sure....
i'll spend the money on preventative maintenance instead.....i have to say, the truck is running just spectacular. i feel for any and all that are having troubles with their 6.0L. but i had an '05 that was great for 70K, and now another good experience with this '06. granted, it is early yet with this truck, but my temps on the insight are perfect and all looks and sounds really good in the engine and drivetrain.

the variability amazes me on the 6.0L. that one block can have no casting sand and another throw a bunch from the get go and another start throwing it at 60K....
Old 03-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Talk to Chad at Trusted Performance he can help with all your fuel system needs
3000 watt inverter keeps drill batteries charged
4" tubo back MBRP cool duals
CFM+ intake elbow / Airaid cold air intake
SCT X3 from innovative diesel
Coolant Filter / Amsoil by-pass system
ATS Intercooler
Fluidampr / 200 amp alternator
ARP head bolts / Black onyx head gaskets
185cc Injectors 70hp+ / stock turbo
stage 1 fuel lines / cross over with fixed orifice
58 volt FIMC mod from swamps diesel
Airdog 2 with in tank fuel module upgrade Mag-Hytec Diff. and trans. covers
Aluminum degas tank
paintingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can someone explain exactly what a regulated return is to me? And where exactly does it mount? Also wheres the cheapest place to get one?
Mavsps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

There are a couple of different types of regulated returns out there..

The most common version regulates the fuel after the injectors. Most versions of this system replace the factory feed lines going into the front of the heads with larger lines and then remove the plug at the back of the heads, so that fuel goes completely through the head and then sends the fuel to an adjustable regulator where the pressure is set and all excess pressure is bled off and returned to the tank. Typically, the regulator is mounted on the engine, near the alternator. The disadvantage of this system is the degree of difficulty in installation. Most instruction sheets say it will take several hours to install.

The other system also replaces the feed lines but where it differs is that it regulates the fuel by removing the guts of the factory regulator system and running a line from where the factory return line was, to a new adjustable regulator. The excess pressure from the new regulator is then sent to the tank. This system is still a deadhead system like the factory setup. All it is really doing is giving you more precise control over the fuel pressure that is being fed to the front of the heads. Typically, the regulator is mounted to the inner fender someplace convenient. This type of system can be installed in roughly an hour's time.

Both of these systems allow you to precisely set the fuel pressure to what ever psi you desire. Neither system is going to cure a low fuel pressure problem caused by a weak fuel pump. For an individual with stock injectors and good fuel pressure via the factory system, buying one is probably a waste of time and money. IMHO, a much wiser purchase would be a fuel pressure gauge, to make sure your fuel pressure is (and remains) where it needs to be.

Now, if you are running larger, aftermarket injectors, one of the two systems is probably a good investment, simply because the stock system was not designed to feed them..
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

i see this thread was resurrected...
i added a fuel pressure gauge and the upgraded ford fuel pressure spring and called it a day....

truck is still running fantastic.

2006 F350 4X4 6.0L Lariat
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
I added a fuel pressure gauge to the fitting on the end of my new aluminum fuel filter cap, added a Long Island fuel line on the rear of the heads, then did the 1/2 Banjo mod on the passenger side fuel line. Plus the pre-pump fuel filter install. Good enough for me.

Al
Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the explanation team roper. Can someone send me a link to the first kind of system? And would this raise fuel pressure to the injectors? So basically its for large injectors that drain the fuel lines at the engine?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albin View Post
I added a fuel pressure gauge to the fitting on the end of my new aluminum fuel filter cap, added a Long Island fuel line on the rear of the heads, then did the 1/2 Banjo mod on the passenger side fuel line. Plus the pre-pump fuel filter install. Good enough for me.

Al
Al,

Having your sending unit in the filter cap is not necessarily telling you how much pressure your injectors are seeing. That location is on the wrong side of the filter. If you have new filters, it probably will but if your filter was to get clogged, you would not see that the injectors were getting low pressure.. To know how much pressure the injectors are seeing, you need to move the sending unit to the test port..

pics

Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsps View Post
Can someone send me a link to the first kind of system?
Sinister Diesel 6.0L Regulated Return Kit

Trusted Performance's Fuel Systems for the 6.0 Ford Power Stroke or Powerstroke Engines

Quote:
And would this raise fuel pressure to the injectors?
Yes, if you set the regulator's pressure higher than you are seeing now, provided your pump is strong enough to supply that pressure. Some factory pumps, especially if it is old, are not.

Quote:
So basically its for large injectors that drain the fuel lines at the engine?
Primarily. You can put one on a stock injectored truck but it is not necessary. If you have a good fuel pump and a good return spring, you will get plenty of fuel at plenty of pressure to your injectors with the stock setup....

pics

Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

albin, originally, i did mount the sending unit for my gauge off of a billet aluminum cap for my upper fuel bowl as well. got that advice from an indy shop near me. roper and others corrected me, and i got the ITP (now sinister) adapter line and ran it off the test port after i put the upgraded pressure spring in. now there is a nice aluminum plug in that hole......

2006 F350 4X4 6.0L Lariat
Old 07-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

ok so this definetly helps the situation of having bigger sticks and factory pump... Good to know
Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post
Al,

Having your sending unit in the filter cap is not necessarily telling you how much pressure your injectors are seeing. That location is on the wrong side of the filter. If you have new filters, it probably will but if your filter was to get clogged, you would not see that the injectors were getting low pressure.. To know how much pressure the injectors are seeing, you need to move the sending unit to the test port..
Interesting. The good news is that the likelihood of anything clogging the secondary fuel filter is pretty small due to the previous three fuel filters I have installed.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.