Replacing head gasket 6.0 diesel 2003 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing head gasket 6.0 diesel 2003

I am replacing the head gaskets on my 2003 F350 with the 6.0 diesel and need some help in finding out how to remove the high pressure oil line that passes down into the head from the oil rail. How do I remove it and do I need a special tool to do it? I can see a nut at the base of the line just above the head but there is not enough room to get a wrench in. Also does anyone know if the new ford head bolts any better then the original ones or should I go with the APR ones? The APR ones are very expensive!
back yard mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by back yard mechanic View Post
I am replacing the head gaskets on my 2003 F350 with the 6.0 diesel and need some help in finding out how to remove the high pressure oil line that passes down into the head from the oil rail. How do I remove it and do I need a special tool to do it? I can see a nut at the base of the line just above the head but there is not enough room to get a wrench in. Also does anyone know if the new ford head bolts any better then the original ones or should I go with the APR ones? The APR ones are very expensive!
I had the new ford ones done under warranty, they stretched in 2 weeks.
So unless you want to do this again, get the ARPs. Also make sure you send the heads to a machine shops, they are known to crack around the valve seats and be warped. This is a huge job, you don't want to do again.
05' F-350 6.0L Diesel Crew Cab Long bed sitting on Brentz Wheels Custom Billet Dually 22's, Kenwood Indash Nav, Sirrrus Sat, HD Radio, Nintendo game Cube, 2 - 7" Tv's in head rests, Dual MTX 10" Subs behind seat, Arp Studs, Innovative Diesel SCT tuned for Snow Performance Stage III Meth kit, Bully Dog 5" turbo back exhaust, AFE Stage II w/ProGuard 7 Cold Air Intake, Remote Start. 03 Turbo, dam the whistle is Insane! @ 38 PSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2zEFb6bFLc - Video
8000K Bi-Xeon H.I.D Headlights, Recon Big Rig, White lighting tailgate light and 3rd LED Brake lights.
05Duallyon22s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
ARP head studs, $400
ex mounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by back yard mechanic View Post
That oil line has a quick connect fitting and it does require a special tool to remove however it is not difficult to release the connector using an improvised tool that will push the black ring into the connector to release the spring clip. The connector has a tendency to stick and requires a little force to separate it. I use a prybar to do so.

You can get a look at the tool (or buy) it HERE but it is a little pricey if you are going to use it once. Looking at it might help you fabricate something.

To complete a head gasket repair you need to correct the cause of the excessive combustion chamber pressures. Check your turbocharger as it may be causing an over boost condition and have your PCM updated to a current level calibration which will mitigate over boosting.
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 05-20-2011 at 01:02 PM.
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
I would put a new oil cooler in and save the factory bolts for something less important than a engine. They might make good scrap or a paper weight. As stated before the arps are about $400 shipped and not to hard to find for that price. Also make sure you have a clean flat mating surface and good heads. Do you still have a functioning egr system? Might also want to address that while ur there by welding up the cooler and making a delete out of it.
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

<<< Just had mine done. Arp to the rescueeee
Viper 5900 remote start/alarm w/ one mile range - Pioneer D3 nav - 2500 watt power inverter - Harley headlights - Recon smoked cab lights - ebay 2.5" axle mounted leveling kit
DieselSite coolant filter- added at 39k
8ft WESTERN Pro-Plus w/ back drag blade
6000k slim ballast hi/lo H13 headlights and H10 fog HID kits from ddmtuning.com

to be done mods.. Innovative SCT X3, Edge Insight CTS w/ egt, oil bypass

88 mustang hatch- 347 stroker - for the strip
88 mustang vert- 4.6 DOHC gt-45 turbo - street car
calabrese19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.