SCT tuner for 04 6.0 - has anyone blew - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT tuner for 04 6.0 - has anyone blew

So I have searched and found a ton of info here saying that the SCT tuner is the safest tune to run on the 04+ 6.0. Yet I couldnt find anyone who blew up. I guess they are out there but, not hitting the key words I guess...

Question is will it blow...

I am using it as my daily driver, since new, and never ran a tune. I have 220k miles and the mod list below

New turbo - stock
New Injectors - Stock
New Oil Cooler - Stock
New EGR Delete

Everything else is stock except for 35's and rims

I really cant afford the truck being down, or to pay for head studs, and cab removal, yet with the new 35's its become a little less peppy...

I was thinking about the SCT tuner, and an exhaust, the MBRP matt black OR system.

Anyone know of a blow up from just that? I know anything can happen, yet has there been any documented cases where early 04's have blown using the SCT tuner?
TT_05_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get a way to monitor your system, do your maintenance religiously, and don't dog it until fully warmed up.

If you don't have a way to monitor your system ( I use an Insight CTS) you may be overboosting or over temping your truck.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well the 6.0 is maxed out on HP now so you add more something has to give and that is head bolts. You have played it safe this long yes you can get tunes for head bolts should work but you need gauges like the Edge Insight CTS, fuel pressure gauge under 45lbs kills injectors a coolant filter did you do a coolant flush and switch to a ELC coolant things need to check the health of your motor plus the max boost on a stock 6.0 is 28lbs and you do not have a boost gauge that is why you need gauges because when the ones in the dash move it is to late.
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Didnt know they were comprimised till the machinist said so. After studding, still not sure if i will run the aggressive street tune again. People that say, "it's not will it, but when." say that for a reason. Shame you didnt get it studded while they were in there. Good luck!
ciuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

These trucks can go either way, I have had my SCT on for about 30k miles, I have had some coolant puking the last few weeks when pulling heavy on stock tune. Normal driving no issues. But there is no way to say for sure that it was from the tuner...considering I run stock the majority of the time cause I am usually towing 8500-18,000lb trailer.

A good friend of mine has an 04 F350, he bought it in 07 with 20k miles on it, put a bullydog triple dog tuner on it. He dirves it like he stole it all the time on the extreme setting and now has over 100k on the truck with no headgasket issues (just 2 trannys from the bullydog). In no way am I reccomending a Bullydog, especially after I raced him once!!

I knew when I bought my tuner what could happen, started saving right away. So know that I am having puking issues, I already have the Headgasket Kit, Studs, EGR delete sitting in the garage. Just saving to get a new oil cooler, and 155/50 injectors, gogo stage 1 intake before I tear it down. Might as well do it all while its apart!

If you cant afford to fix it, or have the truck sit for a while if it blows a headgasket I would suggest putting the money toward monitor, then save up to get studs done, then if you still want the tuner you should be safe. Either way get a monitor and gauges to watch boost, oil temp, water temp. This can alert you to potential problem such as oil cooler failure before it does damage.

You may be fine with a tuner for a long time.....may be just a matter of months. It is really hard to say for sure either way.
Quad Pod w/ EGT, EOT, ECT, Fuel PSI Glowshift Elite 7 series Gauges
MBRP 4" TurboBack off-road
Leveling Kit
20" Moto Metal 957's
295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Vortex Spray in Liner

02 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 auto 7.3L PSD. w/Bullydog 6 position flip chip.

00 Excursion V10 4x4 Limited - SOLD
96 F-250 PSD SOLD
94 Mustang GT H/C/I and NX kit SOLD
95 GT VERT all stock (wifes car)
jamartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
jamartz
You said (I have had some coolant puking the last few weeks when pulling heavy on stock tune. Normal driving no issues. But there is no way to say for sure that it was from the tuner...considering I run stock the majority of the time cause I am usually towing 8500-18,000lb trailer.)
What kind of deltas are you seeing and are you still running the Ford Gold Junk coolant if so then before you do your repairs you need to do a flush and install a ELC coolant, the max spread that i have see is 10* pulling and about 4* solo and i pull 14,000lbs.
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

What sucks is about 8 months ago I purchased head studs, when I did all the other work. I do all my own mechanical work. Yet when I found out the price people would charge to lift the cab I decided I didnt have the money or the way to lift the cab.

I was going through a divorce and was strapped for cash... So put the studs up on ebay... forgot to set a minimum and they went for 200 shipped... lost 300+ on that...

Now I saw the post where the guy put them on with cab still on and no engine shifting... I want to kick myself... Had no Idea studs would go in without cab off.. hell it was hard enough just to replace the passenger side injectors with that torx bit... **** is close to the evaporator... and the firewall... let alone a 10" stud...

Guess it will be exhaust only until i pay for studs and put them in myself...
TT_05_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
IMO best tuner for a 6.0 is Brian at BTS..no one knows these trans better and the shift stragities are very important to the life of the trans..I keep mine in the 80hp tow all the time works great.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

My truck had over 190k on it before having to do anything at all to the engine. When the egr cooler went bad I went ahead and done head gaskets, studs and all. I have ran the sct tunner on mine set on the 65hp tow mode for the last 120k miles. The truck runs great and haven't had any issues at all from the tunner. This is just my experience.
2004 F350 4x4 Crewcab Dually XLT, 6.0L V-8 Diesel 6-Spd H/D trans. Oxford White. 4.10 Limited Slip Axle, Advanced Security Group, Bright Polished Cab Steps, Sliding Rear Window, FX4 package, 6 Disk CD Changer, Fog Lamps, Cloth Captains Chairs, Privacy Glass.
B&W Turnover gooseneck ball hitch and five leaf overload pack added.
4" Exhaust, SCT tunner running the 65hp heavy tow tune!
New headgaskets, head and valve job, ARP Studs, Injectors replaced, Upgraded oil tubes, EGR Delete, New oil cooler, New manifolds, Blue spring fuel pressure kit, new 850 batteries, and ScanGaugeII.
6.4L Banjo Bolts
tlcregger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

My truck has had the SCT tuner on it with Innovative Diesel extreme street tunes for 90,000 miles with no problems.I don't race the truck or tow over 6,000 lps. Its a gamble just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

im kinda at a loss for thoughts right now also about all this, im new to the diesel scene and i just put a 4"mbrp exhaust,banks technicooler system with high ram intake,and afe stage 2 intake running a sct tuner with edge insight monitoring on a 06 f-350 dually with 4.30 gears. i noticed when i run the 85hp tune it actully seems like i get better fuel milage than when i have the 65hp tow tune in. im not sure what to go off of though bc the insight says im getting like 14mpg ave. and the "lie-ometer" only says im getting 9mpg on the 85hp tune vs. 8mpg on the other. i only drive 6mi. one way to work and i keep my foot off the go pedal as much as possible. i have complete solutions pack from sinister waiting to be installed in a few months but i guess my question is as far as mpg goes is the insight really that accurate and is it really gonna hurt to be boosting 28-30psi for a few months till i get head studs installed?and as far as the mpg averages go i boost a max of 15psi when im being easy on it. i did install sinisters coolant filtration system also?

Last edited by Sinister6oh; 12-12-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added to the post
Sinister6oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I get better mpgs with higher horse power tunes also.

I would hand calculate your mileage. My lie-o-meter is way off since tuning the truck. It was only off one or two mpgs before.

28-30 psi of boost is higher than I would like to see. I don't have studs yet either. Your tune writer should be able to adjust that or possibly your turbo needs to be cleaned.
CAMPINGTOM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm only seeing that kind of boost when I really lay Into it but since my upgrades and tuner I have noticed twice the amount of boost just taking off from a stop driving normal.im running just the default tunes that came preloaded on the sct tuner right now so would u suggest getting a custom tune written for my specific application then
Sinister6oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Getting back to the basic problem - you changed the overall gear ratio by putting on the oversize tires. Change the diff gears to 4.1 or 4.3 to get the gearing back to normal and you will get the pep back without taking the engine over where it wants to be power-wise in stock form.

Brian
MC5C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to justjimmy17
I cracked a head within 10,000 miles on mine with sct. Good product though just think programmer added a little to much juice. Going to o-ringed heads that can handle 1300 horsepower. Make sure you monitor, monitor, monitor! Mechanic says no worries ever again after putting these heads on.
Arp headstuds, Sinister coolant filtration, Sinister egr delete
Oil cooler, Glow shift gauges, Upgraded hpop, Upgraded up pipe
54 volt ficm, Rear main seal @ 148,000
Top Gunz dual steering stabilizer Fox cylinders
O-ringed heads with updated Victor Reinz gaskets
Bulletproof diesel radiator, 155cc warren injectors
Powermaxx Stage ll turbo
justjimmy17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.