Stock exhaust / muffler delete benefits? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock exhaust / muffler delete benefits?

I am installing the Hypertech III on my 2003 F350 6.0 dually crew w/auto tranny and 4X4. Not looking for HUGE power, just a little boost and a little better tranny shifting. Does removing the muffler help much or is it just the sound that changes? I noticed that there is a pretty good crimp in the exhaust just below the turbo. It seems like that would cause a pretty good restriction. Would the muffler removal be a waste as far as flow is concerned? Should I just look for a 4" turbo back system (with a cat of course)? Thanks! Dave
Talon20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Stock exhaust / muffler delete benefits?

If I were to do it all again, I would DEFINATELY try it with just deleting the muffler. Should only cost you $20.00 to cut that sucker off (nothing if you have a sawz all) First mod you should do IMHO.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I doubt if you will feel any difference but it should breathe a little better and be about 50 lbs lighter. I think it sounds good especially when towing my TT up the pass and going through a tunnel @3000 rpm's with the RR window down.
2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic
pics
bikerforchrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

There isn't much to be "felt" in a turbo back exhaust except in the eardrums. The 03 DP is a POS but is not that bad, assuming stock to mild power increases. IMO, and if I were to do it again, I would forgo the complete exhaust and kill the muffler. The OE muffler has got to be the most restrictive part of the exhaust so eliminating it would be your cheapest flow to $buck$ bang.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

So the jump from 3 1/2" to 4" is not worth the effort? I got 50Hp and 100 ft lbs by doing the front and rear end opening..Beats the heck out of a chip.
2000 F250 SC 4A SB OEM TC, OEM Trans, OEM Turbo, OEM Injectors, OEM Airbox, OEM CAC, Quad Pod W/4 Autometers, 3 Guage cubby-hole, Jody-isized, Fuel System Mods, Mag Hy-Tec, Schaefers 9000, Transgo, Interior is soundproofed, 3.5" DP SS XL Magnaflow, LPG, 106k miles, NVK5 to MNMO, 2200 WATT BI-AMP, 18"s, Best MPG-22.80, Best MPT-760 miles.
FORD-DIESEL.COM MODS--Heater Hose Cutoff Valve, T/C lock, EBV brake, MIAH Plug, QD's removed, Wrapped CAC Tubes, Double Clamped Coolant Hoses, Zoodad, Relocated License plate, painless fuse box. Other RSB Mods
388HP 818Ft.Lbs.@ 130MPH. 4th gear dyno run, 2.1 60, Home-Made Traction bars.
This is a Street truck, 18+MPG(No LP), 14.2 at 98mph, 13 sec Motor, 14 sec Truck(NO Traction)
2004/03 CC SB Auto 6L W/OCT flash, 19+MPG, 20%Bio, AFE, Magnaflow XL SS 4" Exhaust, 75K, Heater By-pass mod, 21.1 MPG best.
2006.5 Jetta DSG 14K 41MPG Best
2005.5 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI 49MPG Best 73K
Kubota 7800 30 HP Hydrostatic 4X4
All Diesels
1969 Mach1 351C 4M 9"
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 04:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Depends on what your end goal (mods) is and what turbo you have. Many factors giving many different results. I would not go with a 4" DP on a 03 turbo unless I was adding larger injectors, etc. 3 1/2" is good for stock to mild.

Most exhaust manufactures advertise way less than 50HP. Generally 5-10% increase over stock. After some power mods such as intake, chip, fuel, etc. you could easily get 50+ but not with just exhasut.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Deleted muffler on my 02, it does not have a cat from the factory. Sounds great, no change in seat-of-pants feel. Sprung for the whole exhaust on my 04, to me the straight piped 02 sounds better. Anything you do is better than that 55 gallon drum factory muffler!

07 Dodge 2500, QC, LB, 5.9 CTD, Auto, 4WD

http://community.webshots.com/user/oldmikegraham
oldmikegraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
I am installing the Hypertech III on my 2003 F350 6.0 dually crew w/auto tranny and 4X4. Not looking for HUGE power, just a little boost and a little better tranny shifting. Does removing the muffler help much or is it just the sound that changes? I noticed that there is a pretty good crimp in the exhaust just below the turbo. It seems like that would cause a pretty good restriction. Would the muffler removal be a waste as far as flow is concerned? Should I just look for a 4" turbo back system (with a cat of course)? Thanks! Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have had or are planning on having the 06E03 recal done on your 03 truck, you may have problems with the aftermarket exhaust, and if you decide to put a AM intake on it, that may cause you problems as well.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave
If I was to do it again, I would get a 3.5 inch down pipe ($160) and a muffler delete pipe (under $50). Just those two would give a decent increase in HP and MPG [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img].

TasMan
2004/04 Engine,King Ranch,F-250,4x4,SWB,3.73 LS, Adjustable pedals,Reverse sensor,Moon roof,clearance lights, Power rear window,Heated seats,Bedliner, DPPI T-409 Turbo Back, AFE Pro-Guard7, C-Bet'r mirror, Fumoto drain valve, AIC, Extange Tonneu, Lund SS Interceptor, Siver Star Bulbs, Harpooned tank, SUV double wiring harness, Bright Box, Clifford RS 3.5 alarm, 3" Edge Plush Ride, Bilstein Shocks, Westin Sportsman CPS Grille Guard, XM Commander wired in with a PIE Adapter, Eagle 137 series rims and Bridgestone Revos 285/75-16, Husky Liner Mud Flaps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tasman3721 UpDated 27 October 2005
Retired Chief Warrant Officer 4
tasman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have had or are planning on having the 06E03 recal done on your 03 truck, you may have problems with the aftermarket exhaust, and if you decide to put a AM intake on it, that may cause you problems as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! What is the 06E03? It had a different turbo installed on a TSB. It also is on it's second tranny. I bought it used and it seemed to have more power before I took it in for the transmission. I'm wondering if it had previously been programmed and they returned it to the stock program. I like the donaldson intake filter so I probably won't change that. Thanks again, Dave
Old 04-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave
If I was to do it again, I would get a 3.5 inch down pipe ($160) and a muffler delete pipe (under $50). Just those two would give a decent increase in HP and MPG [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img].

TasMan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Where did you buy those parts at? Dave
Old 04-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Diesel Performance Parts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave

TasMan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Where did you buy those parts at? Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Diesel Performance Parts Mark is a great guy and he will do you right. Tell him TasMan sent Ya [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

TasMan
2004/04 Engine,King Ranch,F-250,4x4,SWB,3.73 LS, Adjustable pedals,Reverse sensor,Moon roof,clearance lights, Power rear window,Heated seats,Bedliner, DPPI T-409 Turbo Back, AFE Pro-Guard7, C-Bet'r mirror, Fumoto drain valve, AIC, Extange Tonneu, Lund SS Interceptor, Siver Star Bulbs, Harpooned tank, SUV double wiring harness, Bright Box, Clifford RS 3.5 alarm, 3" Edge Plush Ride, Bilstein Shocks, Westin Sportsman CPS Grille Guard, XM Commander wired in with a PIE Adapter, Eagle 137 series rims and Bridgestone Revos 285/75-16, Husky Liner Mud Flaps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tasman3721 UpDated 27 October 2005
Retired Chief Warrant Officer 4
tasman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.