Taking cab off to change head gaskets - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2005, 03:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Taking cab off to change head gaskets

A lot of shops are pulling the cab instead of the motor to do head gaskets. Anyone try this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2005, 06:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Taking cab off to change head gaskets

I don't think either has to be done to do head gaskets. I found one of the best tips I have ever heard in one of the recent threads. Somebody mentioned dropping studs in the bolt holes while the head is off the motor. Then you use rubber bands to hold the studs up so they don't drop thru the holes when you lift the head That way you can install the head with studs without removing either ther cab or motor.

871 HP #2 only
Co-President Mason-Dixon TDC
maximumstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2005, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

why would you remove the studs? the idea of using studs is that they torque more acuratly than bolts. any stud use i have ever seen keaves the studs in there.
04crew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2005, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

i have seen the front end removed in one piece for major engine work or engine swap.
04crew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Go to www.flatratetech.com they have a fair amount of info there. Thats how I am gonna do my 6.0 since it is a regular cab. Not sure I would do a crewcab that way though cause part of the interior has to come out to get the middle cab bolts.
10" Lift 38 PJs, EDGE Trac Bar Relocate, ORU X over, Weld Outbacks, AFE Stage 2,Hypermax 5", Hypermax Mod BJ Code Injectors, Hypermax H2E (broke, replaced with something bigger), Hypermax Rev Kit, ITP Fuel Sys, Aeromotive fuel pump, forged rods, main studs, head studs, billet intakes, WOP fire rings, BTS Trans & HPOS,

99 F-250 Reg Cab 4x4 Auto, Project truck,
97 F-350 Reg Cab 4x4
96 F-250 Reg Cab 4x4 Auto, Stock/Wrecked AVAILABLE
03 F-250 Reg Cab 4x4 Auto 6.0, Studded, EGRless, Hypermax Injectors/Firerings/5" exhaust, AFE Stage 2, Electronics vary DEAD

SDCRM #13
Agree? Disagree? Wanna Talk Trucks?
(785)243-4879
<font color="red">KANSAS members, PM me. </font>
Nick Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
why would you remove the studs? the idea of using studs is that they torque more acuratly than bolts. any stud use i have ever seen keaves the studs in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, sorry about the confusion. That is not how I meant for you to take that. What I was talking about was if you were to do a gasket swap and install studs at the same time. Granted if the studs were already installed previously you may or may not want to take them out to do a head gasket. This is just a way to do the job without removing the motor or cab.

871 HP #2 only
Co-President Mason-Dixon TDC
maximumstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2005, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
DSI

my truck was just finished friday, the core support was removed, but not the hood or fenders, the head's were removed while the block was still in teh truck, the head's with the stud's rubber banded on them were re-installed in the truck. there was room to work, and get even torque on all studs.

and it doesn't puke on demand anymore [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

DSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2005, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

New to the 6.0 so sorry for the dumb question. Why are you pulling the heads on your trucks?

2001 F250 Lariat. BTS, DP Tuner, Banks inter-cooler, Banks Turbo upgrades, Banks Exhaust, Banks Exhaust brake,
edinning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2005, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)

Under power headstuds will "strech" and allow the cylinder pressure to blow into the coolant passages, thus causing the truck coolant to "puke" out the overflow container (I should have the basics correct). You should replace the head gaskets after this due to an increased risk of it happening again.

While there are reports of this happening on stock trucks, this is not a common occurance.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2005, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of shops are pulling the cab instead of the motor to do head gaskets. Anyone try this yet?

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> I had it done and it looked to be a piece of cake. They raised the entire cab of my crew cab and then had lots of access to the engine. Not a scratch on it anywhere. Took a little less than 1.5 days of actual work including diagnosis. I was very pleased. </font>
Troutly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
lco

^how much did that cost
lco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
^how much did that cost

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">
The warranty claim was $2,207. There are several misc parts and fluids (oil / coolant) that need to be replaced when doing gaskets / bolts. </font>
Troutly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

What HP or mods are causing the heads to have problems? Are the 05 doing this or has Ford corrected the problem? Thanks

2001 F250 Lariat. BTS, DP Tuner, Banks inter-cooler, Banks Turbo upgrades, Banks Exhaust, Banks Exhaust brake,
edinning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.