Upgrade or sell? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade or sell?

I have my 1st diesel which is an '04 F350 6.0L Super Duty SB Crew that I bought in '05.. It has an '07 turbo in it and the EGR was addressed in '06. I get GREAT mpg the truck treats me well. My concern is though I recently added a 35' 5th wheel toy hauler and all year when pulling, the 'ol girl seems to struggle at times. I also get pushed around a bit... it seems I'm just too light and under powered. I do not have any upgrades other than a Volant intake. No chip, no exhaust, no air bags, etc... Well, I'm on the fence if I should move up to an '05 or '06 DRW 6.0L or a SRW 2000- '01 7.3L. Any suggestions gang?
AMZOIL
SEMPER FI
Pearlgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can say from experience that a DRW will tow a big fiver a lot better than a SRW.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'll second the use of a dually for a trailer that big. What gears do you have in the diffs of your current truck? That will make a difference too, as will the shortbox model.
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Longer is better, DRW's also helps in stability. I've put 50K miles on my truck from May until October pulling fifth wheels and travel trailers from Indiana to Florida. Handling is fine, and power is adequate, though I am envious of the 6.7's power. But I can't justify spending 60 grand for that power. I know some guys that have bought new ones, but after the new wears off and they're still making those $1500.00 monthly payments they're just not that impressed. In my opinion, you could get a newer long bed crewcab dually 6.0 and spend some money bulletproofing the motor, and you'd be money ahead.
1997 F350 XLT Crew Cab Dually, 7.3 Powerstroke, 4:10 limited slip, K&N Air Filter, MBRP 4" Turbo back w/muffler, Edge programmer, Billet torque converter, Monster tranny cooler.

2004 Cadillac CTS V 5.7 LS6, Tremec 6 speed,
K&N Cold Air, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSD Ignition,
LS7 clutch, Getrag 3:73 posi-trac, 377 RWHP
badbart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

My truck has a 4:10 rear and when I bought it, it was towing a 20-something foot horse trailer off hitch. I have come to realize that an '05-'06 F350 DRW Crew is about where I can be in regards to cost. I found a couple SRW 8' Crew's in 7.3. I guess I'm so comfortable with 20+ mpg on highway without towing I have separation anxieties! I'm sure there are things to add to a 6.0L DRW to "enhance" performance but I'm not as knowledgable. There are soooo many things out there I get a headache then a pocket-ache when looking at them all. Any and all advise is welcomed gang. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I have looked at Dodge and GMC/ Chevy but the back seat of the F350 is great for the kids (3) and I have absolutely NO CLUE about a diesel from either one of them.
AMZOIL
SEMPER FI
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lynnwood Used 2006 Ford F-350 Seattle

Albany, OR 2005 Ford F-350 Lariat Used Truck near Salem, OR near Corvallis, OR Lassen Auto Center

Bellevue Used 2006 Ford Super Duty F-350 DRW Crew Cab 172 King Ranch 4WD Seattle

Lynnwood Used 2006 Ford F-350 Seattle
AMZOIL
SEMPER FI
Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This one, it look like they are running a CarQuest oil filter a Big
MotorCraft or Racor only.
Bellevue Used 2006 Ford Super Duty F-350 DRW Crew Cab 172 King Ranch 4WD Seattle
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I Am towing a 40' toy hauler 5th wheel with my 05 F250 SRW and she pulls it just fine for me. I am sure it would tow better in the cross wind with a DRW set up. But all in all I like it. The power is ok with Banks Big Hoss® Bundle with the IQ and all of the BPD upgrades. here is a pic of my set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrade or sell?-truck-5th-trailer.jpg  
4.56 W/ARB air locker front & rear
Banks Big Hoss Kit with IQ & Banks cool air intake
BPD oil cooler & BPD EGR cooler
Coolant filter & Amsoil Oil Bypass filter kit
Blue spring Fuel reg upgrade
6.4L banjo bolt upgrade
GOGO Diesel direct clutch solenoid

Last edited by WFObansheeboy; 11-20-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: posting pic
WFObansheeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

I guess the first issue is not having a 8' bed but the SB. The second is my truck is virtually FORD OEM except the intake. I have the EGRs (no bypass) and the cat with stock exhaust. I though of doing a by pass and exhaust and bags on the rear but after that's all said and done I'd assume it would only solve 1/2 my problems. I can't make the truck longer nor wider.. UHG!

As for the oil filter, it appears to be a NAPA/ WIX... but maybe a bit too high in the cap which then I'd agree with ya 2 Stroker. I ran NAPA Golds and AMZOIL.. both made by WIX. Have since I bought it in '05 and same with the fuel filters.

As for your SRW WFOBansheeboy, I think if I had the 8' in SRW id be good. I just figure if I am going to take the plunge then go all the way with a DRW or stay a bit safer (?) and find an 8' SRW like what you run. My trailer has been averaging around 13,000 lbs when we're loaded. It's a Dutchman 'Voltage 3005 and starts out at 35' and 10,800 lbs before all the fluids, toys, food and misc. At the end of the day I'm around 2,000 to 3,000 over GCVWR.
AMZOIL
SEMPER FI
Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

... oh, and I was looking at that DRW King Ranch because it already had the BANKS system in it along with bags at the rear.
AMZOIL
SEMPER FI
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

I know how you feel on the LBS. I am also at my max when loaded now. The 05 can town a little more then the 04.If I was to do it again I would look for a F550 DRW 4X4. I am off road a lot with my trailer at Pismo, Sand Mnt NV and Oregon Dunes So the 4X4 is a must. I also would not do the 8" lift again only 6" and 35".
Good luck and keep us update.
4.56 W/ARB air locker front & rear
Banks Big Hoss Kit with IQ & Banks cool air intake
BPD oil cooler & BPD EGR cooler
Coolant filter & Amsoil Oil Bypass filter kit
Blue spring Fuel reg upgrade
6.4L banjo bolt upgrade
GOGO Diesel direct clutch solenoid

WFObansheeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

An F550 DRW?! Oh ye who's pockets over flow..

I looked at F450's but I do use my truck to run around town as well taking kids to school, classes and such so I have to stay a bit conservative in my dreaming. I guess the hardest part for me right now is either upgrading to a DRW or staying with a SRW but in an 8' bed. 5 or 6 years ago I would have never worried about my mpg driving such a rig. Now look! I love my SB but she's got her limits.

And on a side note, has anyone ever REALLY used the search engine on here? Holy CRAP! A fella can get lost for hours running around reading forums looking for that one little morsel of information and hope.
AMZOIL
SEMPER FI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.