what is the best programmer for a 2006 6.0L powerstroke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what is the best programmer for a 2006 6.0L powerstroke

Hey guys. New to the forum here and wanted a bit of advise from you experienced Ford enthusiasts.

I have a solid black 2007 F-250 with an 8" lift, 36" Nitto tires, 18" rims, black and red leather interior, sun roof, and power rear window. I was hoping ya'll could give me some advise on which programmers that I might choose from, to make my truck run as tough as it looks.

With all welcome advise could you please include what kind of results I might expect? (ie. horsepower, torque, and mileage)

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by BigRob76; 02-19-2010 at 05:06 PM.
BigRob76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Our favorite is the SCT with custom tunes by Innovative Diesel. I have it on my personal '05 and have tried alot of the other tuners but nothing compares. A big feature is the SCT actually tunes the tranny where none of the others do. It comes with three tunes.

My mileage went from 14 to 18 on the highway. Truck has 130k on it.

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

James
RSD
Rollin Smoke Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Has anyone used the edge evolution? A buddy of mine has it on a duramax and loves it but i didnt know how it does on the 6.0. From what he said with that you dont need the pods because it monitors everything for you, so i was wondering how accurate that actually was.
Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Has anyone used the edge evolution? A buddy of mine has it on a duramax and loves it but i didnt know how it does on the 6.0. From what he said with that you dont need the pods because it monitors everything for you, so i was wondering how accurate that actually was.
I have used the Edge Juice on my 6.0. The Evolution works good on the Duramax. I guess if I wasn't so performance minded the Edge products are not a bad choice but I do not like the way the tranny shifts with them on.

James
RSD
Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
power programmer for my 6.0

I have several people say that the Banks Six Gun is the way to go on the 6.0. With it's horsepower and torque advancements and the moderate gas mileage upgrade along with it's on the fly switching it has been recomended over many others. Would this be a wise choice or should I take another avenue for a programmer?
BigRob76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Banks is not the best choice. In fact, no shift-on-the-fly set up is generally recommended unless you purchase an additonal programmer with trans only tuning on it.

The Edge Evolution does have actual trans tuning like the SCT (the Edge Juice does not) and works quite well but you are stuck with the "canned" tunes Edge puts into it.

If you want custom tuning, your options are either the SCT or the Gryphon programmer from Power Hungry Performance. The Gryphon is an Edge Evolution that PHP is putting custom tuning on to. It is renamed because Edge has (or is trying to get) CARB certification for their stuff and as such, they cannot do custom programming or allow it to be put onto their programmer and still use the Evolution name.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good advice. Being a dealer I get the chance to try out alot of products. I ran the Banks Six Gun for a couple months. Good power and mileage but once again I always go back to tranny shifting. Shifts were not clean and very inconstinent under hard throttle.

I always go back to the SCT and a set of gauges on the 6.0.

James
RSD
Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
Canned tuning can get more mpg but at the risk of too much timing. This causes problems with head gaskets in short. Also shif on the fly and lack of trans tuning will kill the tranny with as little as 40hp over stock. You best bet is to do like 90% of the educated 6.0 crowd that has a tuning device. Get a sct, get a nice tow tune with turbo braking, get a good street and/ or race tune and enjoy. A good hot tune will give you mpg and more drivability. Use the skinny pedal to determine if you want to go fast.
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

I second the SCT. I got mine from River City Diesel. They were awesome to deal with and I got my trans tuned as well. They also have ARP head studs and Black onyx gaskets with their power packages. I even got custom injectors from them. I'd recommend the head studs. Their SCT tunes put out 170hp. You're gonna need to keep your heads intact and the factory studs won't cut it.
4" Turbo Back MBRP exhaust,
Adrenaline HPOP from Dieselsite.com.
155 injectors, egr fix, ARP studs, black onyx gaskets, and SCT custom tunes. All from River City Diesel!

86' 944 Turbo. 4cyl, pushin'600hp. Now Goin' for 700hp! 194mph top speed. been down for a long time and finally getting my tranny rebuilt to handle the power...I hope.

04' 760li. V12, 443hp, Matching 22' wheels on adjustable coilovers, suede headliner, fridge in between reare seats, yadda yadda. Always in the shop.

Yes the girl in my avatar is actually "my girl"
VegasDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sct from Innovative is what I have and love it!
SCT X3 Custom Tuned by Innovative,
58v FICM Tuned by Innovative,
MBRP Stainless 4" Turbo Back,
ISSPRO Pyro,Boost, & Trans Gauges
Prodigy Brake Controller,Remote Start and Turbo Cooldown,
High Idle Mod., PM-13A on the Oil Pan,
HFCM Plug Upgrade,DieselSite Coolant Filter,
Blue Spring Mod, 08 Diff Cover,
Banjo Bolt Mod, Energy Suspension Bushings,& Stanadyne every tank
my03psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasDiesel View Post
I second the SCT. I got mine from River City Diesel. They were awesome to deal with and I got my trans tuned as well. They also have ARP head studs and Black onyx gaskets with their power packages. I even got custom injectors from them. I'd recommend the head studs. Their SCT tunes put out 170hp. You're gonna need to keep your heads intact and the factory studs won't cut it.
the factory installs tty bolts not studs. this is part of the issue.
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

huh, no wonder. Good info. They're not even studs. What were they thinkin?!
4" Turbo Back MBRP exhaust,
Adrenaline HPOP from Dieselsite.com.
155 injectors, egr fix, ARP studs, black onyx gaskets, and SCT custom tunes. All from River City Diesel!

86' 944 Turbo. 4cyl, pushin'600hp. Now Goin' for 700hp! 194mph top speed. been down for a long time and finally getting my tranny rebuilt to handle the power...I hope.

04' 760li. V12, 443hp, Matching 22' wheels on adjustable coilovers, suede headliner, fridge in between reare seats, yadda yadda. Always in the shop.

Yes the girl in my avatar is actually "my girl"
VegasDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

How many programs can the SCT hold including the factory settings? I'm looking for a programmer that can do a low end power for pulling, a program that will gives me good mileage for trips and such, and then the fun program for raw power; the duremax stomper program. And if it can hold my factory settings that would be awsome too so if i ever needed to go back to them for some reason i could.
Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's odd, but true. The raw power program and the best mileage program are the same program. I've found this to be true time and again. Don't waste your money on a mileage tune. If you need a pulling tune that is a separate tune, but it sounds like you could get by with two; pulling and hot street. Any tuner will store the factory strategies to allow you to return it to stock later on if needed.

SCT is the way to go if you want max power. A custom tune from Eric at Innovative Diesel is the hottest ticket I've found. He has the world's fastest 6.0 truck. 10.85 in the 1/4. The world's fastest for now anyway...

Ah, dare to dream. I'm sure it will always be the fastest.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

New to the site and saw this trend. I have an Edge Evolution on my 2006 6.0. I have not had any issues to complain about except the fact that at night the screen bothers my eyes. Granted, the truck is basically stock and not driven like I stole it, but just a drivers input to this tuner.

Last edited by RDG; 04-24-2010 at 10:59 PM.
STROKIN THE 6 O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.