BP Biodiesel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BP Biodiesel

The closest fuel stop to my house actually doesn't sell regular diesel It's a BP and they sell BP biodiesel. I'm drawn to it for 2 reasons, 1-price...it's quite a bit cheaper than regular diesel fuel. 2-it's close to home. I've tried to find info on the fuel, but I'm not getting much out of my searches. I get info on making my own biofuel, not info on bp biodiesel. I asked the cashier about their fuel and they replied, "what's biodiesel?" I pretty much felt like that was exactly what I asked them. Is this a blend of diesel and biodiesel? Or is it pure bio? Can I even run pure biodiesel around Chicago with the cold temps?
I have some rubber lines, will it trash them or is it ok to run. I don't know anyone that runs this stuff, and I've never seen anyone at the pumps to ask them about it. Thanks for your time!
1993 F250 supercab longbed 4x4 with a quarter of a million miles. Stock 7.3, e40d trans and 3.55 rear gears. I got rid of my silly 6" exhaust stack in the bed and installed a thrush turbo w/side dump exhaust. The thrush gave it a little too much hush. Pro comp 6" suspension lift. Got a Meyer 7.5 foot snow plow, a flipper style gooseneck hitch, a cushion ride tag hitch and a 21,000lb fifth wheel hitch.
CGBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

im not sure how bio is made myself but i do kno that almost all diesel anymore is B5 or B10 atleast and im sure the bp stuff is just a blend as well maybe B25 or so. but im sure someone with more knowledge will step in here and help you out
whitejohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

I know alot about how biodiesel is made...I should, as I make it myself. The highest concentration a station will sell typically is B20, which is 20% Biodiesel & 80% diesel - the B is the percentage of biodiesel. The reason B20 is the peak, is as that is sort of the magic number that a number of manufacturers has said is okay. So you'll see all sorts of biodiesel ranging from B2 to B20(the colder the area, the less B typically), and then occasionally you'll find B100.

You can run biodiesel, but it will probably clean out your system - read frequent filter changes for a while especially if you haven't used fuel additives fairly regularly. The other thing to be aware of, if it's cold, it will cloud/gel sooner - the good news is that a lot of the diesel additives work, or at least say they do, up to B20.
Bernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the info. I've used additives in the truck for the last 2 1/2 years, I'm hoping the fuel system is clean. The fuel tank is very clean, I took it out of a gas f250 and had to retro fit the fuel pickup and fuel level sending unit/float. We've got some really cold weather coming up so I think I'll try running some biodiesel after it warms back up a bit. This is my money maker right now and I can't risk it gelling up on me.
1993 F250 supercab longbed 4x4 with a quarter of a million miles. Stock 7.3, e40d trans and 3.55 rear gears. I got rid of my silly 6" exhaust stack in the bed and installed a thrush turbo w/side dump exhaust. The thrush gave it a little too much hush. Pro comp 6" suspension lift. Got a Meyer 7.5 foot snow plow, a flipper style gooseneck hitch, a cushion ride tag hitch and a 21,000lb fifth wheel hitch.
CGBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.