Can I run waste peanut oil?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2004, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I run waste peanut oil??

I have access to waste peanut oil from fryers. My question is, can I mix this with the diesel right into my tank after I filter it? I would plan to keep one tank straight diesel for startups and shutdowns. Would I be able to run it straight without having a heater for the tank? I plan to try it in the summer time only. Much appreciated, Klimczak
'96 Powerstroke F250 5 speed, Banks Stinger 60hp chip, 3" downpipe, K&N Filter, Eagle Alloy rims, 4:10 limited slip rear, straight pipe,Autometer Boost and Pyro gauges, Powerstroker exhaust brake
klimczak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Re: Can I run waste peanut oil??

From what I have gathered, peanut oil is great. Filtraton is a must but any waste vegetable oil needs to be heated if it is to be used straight.

Some guys are adding WVO to their diesel with success. But, as outside temps cool, that percentage must decrease. Its all about flow rates. Colder veggie, regardless of the level of filtration, moves more and more like syrup. Diluting with regular diesel helps but at some point the lines and filters will get clogged unless heat is added.

Congratulations on securing some good peanut oil. You're on your way!

Todd T
2002 F-250 Lariat, PSD, CC, short bed, 3.73, auto tranny, Line-X bed liner, AFE Filter, HX crossover, intake heater delete, Evans NGC+, Dieselsite 203 thermostat, coolant filter, Amsoil by-pass filter, Schaeffer's synthetic blend tranny fluid, Bob Riley's tranny filter, Velvet Ride shackles, Rancho 9000 shocks with in-cab adjustment, 60 gallon aux tank for burning heated WVO, burning veggie since fall of '04.
ToddT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm running 20% peanut oil 80% diesel right now in my truck with outside temps running between 70-80 deg.
I won't run a higher ratio than that and would probably reduce that if it gets colder.
My goal is to do a seperate heated tank to run 100% veg oil as soon as I can find a high presure fuel pump that works.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

What high pressure fuel pumps have you tried? Which ones are insufficient in your opinion and why?

I've heard more than one person talk about the Holley Blue pump as a good one to pump the veggie. Agree? Disagree?

Todd
2002 F-250 Lariat, PSD, CC, short bed, 3.73, auto tranny, Line-X bed liner, AFE Filter, HX crossover, intake heater delete, Evans NGC+, Dieselsite 203 thermostat, coolant filter, Amsoil by-pass filter, Schaeffer's synthetic blend tranny fluid, Bob Riley's tranny filter, Velvet Ride shackles, Rancho 9000 shocks with in-cab adjustment, 60 gallon aux tank for burning heated WVO, burning veggie since fall of '04.
ToddT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2004, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

Funny you should speak about the blue holly. I have just ordered one, gonna use it to push the veggie to the front of the truck. Installing it just below the tank on the frame rail underneath the truck.
The pump will push the veggie to and through the heated filter under the hood. I feel that the lift pump on my PSD is/will have troubles when the cold weather really gets here, so the blue holly will help things out.
Anyway thats the way I have it figgered out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] and I'm sticking to it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Unless someone tells me this blue holly will blow the hoses off.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

RoReRi

96' 4x4 F250 EC 4"lift Ranch Hand Front and Rear bumpers. Tymar intake and downpipe & Cat delete pipe. 203 degree T-stat, $40 AIC, Stage 1 INJECTORS...
Running WVO since May '04

Be without fear in the face of your enemies
Be brave and upright that God may love thee
Speak the truth even if it leads to your death
Safeguard the helpless

THAT IS YOUR OATH
roreri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2004, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey thanks a bunch guys. I plan to get some oil coming in and start filtering it when I get the chance to.
Klimczak
'96 Powerstroke F250 5 speed, Banks Stinger 60hp chip, 3" downpipe, K&N Filter, Eagle Alloy rims, 4:10 limited slip rear, straight pipe,Autometer Boost and Pyro gauges, Powerstroker exhaust brake
klimczak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ive heard that its got too many fats in it, but this was in reference to turning it into BD.

Hmmm....

Ide check out the infopop site. Theyve got GOOD info.
Kubota L4300 DT, custom pintle type hitch on box, avocado hauler
83 Volvo 244 GL, 2.4L NA, Diesel, Manual, 140k+, For sale!

biodiesel from leoco.com

What Would Reagan Do?

mannytranny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2004, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Remember, the first diesel engine invented by Rudolf Diesel ran on peanut oil. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

F350 4x4 CC SWB SRW 2003.25 6.0/Auto, FX4, Lariat, Toreador Red/Arizona Tan, Bench Seats, Moonroof, etc. Ordered Nov.6, 2002. Received Jan 30, 2003. Pulling 1992 Alfa 34' 12200GVWR with Pulliam SuperGlide. Retrax. 86000 miles and counting. Traded, July 4, 2007
kalalp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

klimczak- Before going to the seperate SVO tank, I ran up to 75% WVo and 25% diesel with no problems down to 40*. I would Say at even a 50/50 mix you would be plenty safe in those temps. As for the stock pump, it WILL eventually fail if using it for SVO that is not heated to better than 130. Mine worked great for about 4 months, but recently started stalling. I would have to tap on the pump to get it to work in the mornings. Even with diesel wvo mix. The holley blue I am sure would make a great lift pump, but it is only rated at 14psi, so it could not be used effectively as a primary pump. I just recently shelled out for the Aeromotive A1000, and that is one mutha of a pump. So far it is working great. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] If you are going to continue to use the stock pump as the HP pump, I would highly recomend replacing it with the Aeromotive unit, and never look back. just my .02 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
fordnut74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2004, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I replaced my holley red with a summit brand fuel pump because I got sick of crawling under and beating the red to get it to run.The summit came with an adjustable regulator also. I THINK the psi is highier than the blue also.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rudolph's first diesel ran on coal dust.
Volvo diesel auto,slow off the line but I get 42 MPG on the highway. </font>
Bunch of other compression ignition toys.
Welder,Mechanic,Fabricator,Fueloil distrubutor.<font color="OOFFOO">
Eastern Pennsylvania.It's still nice here.Really.
supermechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2004, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Seems like I remember coal dust too.

Anyway, I have also been thinking about Peanut oil as I have about 50 gallons of the stuff in my garage I want to get rid of (I have a friend that brings his gear over a couple of times a year and fries Turkey's, wings and fries). I've been watching it in the containers since it's been getting colder, and although it's a little syrupy (sp?), it seems like a good electric pump would be able to pump it.

What's the best way to heat the tank? I know a few Mercedes diesel guys that have run coolant lines back to a second tank with WVO, and use the primary tank with Diesel for starting and shutdown, then switch to the WVO after the engine has reached operating temperature and the coolant has been circulating through the lines back to the aux. tank.

Just kind of seems like you could get hosed if you thought you were just stopping for a few minutes and it really turned into several hours in the winter if you didn't switch back to Diesel every single time before you shut the engine down.
1979 Jeep J-10 www.jtruck.net
1991 Ford Bronco XLT
1946 Willy's CJ-2A www.jtruck.net/willys

jcjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm considering this, but I do long trips. $-8 hours. I would use deisel fo rtown and the veggie for travel. Atleast one tank of the trip will be cheaper. I'm going to see if I can get some connections in the towns we race at so I can refill when I go eat.
99 F-350 cc, dually, lb, 3.5" down pipe with 4" out to a ghetto 5" chrome tip. In tank mods, pre-pump, fuel lines, HX, open filter intake, reg. return. harpooned. 10k. Aux. trans coler with fan. Edge Evo 2
stickboy274 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2004, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well I did it and she is so far running fine
I strained and filtered my used turkey frying peanut oil.
filtered it thru a 3 micron filter at 65 psi.
mixed 2 gallons of peanut to 15 of #2.
smokes alittle more at idle but i contribute this to it being 50 out side.
other than that no real difference.
to chicken to run a higher concentration. it dilluted fine in my test quart so i decided to mix it 2 gallons to 15
robert

oh yeah the two turkeys were GOOOOOOOOD

2002 F350 Larait Crew Cab Dually , (sold 65k Miles)
1992 F250 HD 4x4 Super cab 7.3 IDI W/banks(Sold 118k miles)
1988 F150 Short bed 4x4 (sold 45k miles)
Feel the Force of TDS

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

I had 2 cubies of turkey frying peanut oil given to me last week.I filtered it and dumped it in along with the oil I get from the donut shop.I cant see any difference. It starts and runs the same and no difference in the amount of smoke.
BlueMule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.