can I use a propane tank for fuel storage? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can I use a propane tank for fuel storage?

I found a 120 gallon LP tank that I can scrap or use. I pulled all the valves off and a fair amount of propane came out. There is no water or liquid in the inside. It appears rusty, but I think the metal may be discolored. The tank is tagged still, it was made in 1973.
Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't use this tank for filter WMO.
My main concern is the possibility of rust lining the inside. I don't know if it is rust and I don't know how it could rust when it has been air tight for the last 20 + years.
Any thoughts or input would be great.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I believe that LP can contain a small amount of water in it. That's what I was told about 10 years ago while I was filling my RV tanks in a midwest state. So it just might be rust and that can't be good. You can get fuel tank liner that you can roll on..Probably on the $$ side cause I used it on an old Subaru tank and it was expensive.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
dude you massively scored on that find.

Go read all the threads about those of us struggling to collect oil. Put a vaccuum pump on it and life is grand.

they make a GREAT tank for oil, and it is the perfect size.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am jealous too. I was doing a section survey about 75 mi from my home and came across an old one that was still in good shape. I wanted to ask the home owner about it, but he wasn't home. There is always the chance that he'll be around when I go back to set the property corners. He also had an old International 1/2 ton that was in really good shape, among other stuff, I see all sorts of things while surveying.
Muffler is Gone!
DIY 6637 Air Intake
Hutch and Harpoon mods

1990 VW Jetta 1.6L NA 5sp 224k mi
Beater with a heater commuter car
Slower than hell, but cheap on fuel.
Ky_0686 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had no idea I hit the jack pot. This thing weighs a ton I can hardly move it but I did manage to load it into my truck. Any bigger and it would be hard to use. I check craigslist almost daily so I recomend you guys search "fuel tank" in your area, here in Orlando there are lots of people both city slickers and rednecks that get rid of tanks for $100 or less quite often. I got this one for free. There is no 'liquid' in the tank of any kid, but there was propane gas for sure. I guess I could use it for an oil storage tank I need to figure out how integrate it to my up-flow processor. I would like to store my finished oil in it. I could cut a hole in it and paint it up. I might look into that. I didn't look all that well with a light to see if it was rust or not.
I kinda figured rust wasn't good for fuel. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input
Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
BUILD A SUPER SUCKER OUT OF IT!!!

However if you don't want to cart it around to collect fuel (some guys mount them on small trailers) it will make a good storage tank. Keep it sealed and you can use air pressure to pump the fuel to your truck.
1986 F350 Crew Cab 2wd SRW. 1991 7.3 IDI, T-19 4spd Sterling 10.25 4.10 rear, kingpin D60 4.10 front, 12" HD clutch. A Banks waste gated turbo. Midwest rebuilt IP turned up. AC Delco 6.5 GM 12V GP's, working great. Running W80-W85 high performance zero-gel black diesel! 4wd and dually conversion is done. Washer mod on the D60 kingpins eliminated the death wobble. Custom 10" C-channel front bumper with military D-rings front and rear. Pintle hitch, receiver hitch, and goose neck hitch. 7800lbs full of fuel....
rsr911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

That is my next question. I will post a new thread. I don't know what a super sucker is, I may already have the parts around the yard, but i just don't know it. Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Simple. Install a good sized valve, at least 1" near the bottom or at the bottom of the tank, hook up suction hose of the length you need to reach at your collection points. Put another ballvalve on the end and a pickup wand, just a length of pipe. Find another fitting on the tank to hook to a vacuum source and put a valve there. Install a vacuum/pressure gauge. Cap all the other bungs. You can use the vacuum from your engine pump but don't drive the truck until the tank is pulled down all the way or your brakes won't work well. Once the tank is pulled down it's good to shut a valve to close off the vacuum in the tank. At your collection point leave the truck running and reopen the vacuum valve if you are using your engine pump. Stick the wand in the collection barrel, open the valve at the tank (this one's a safety really in case the hose breaks) and open the valve near the wand, the vacuum in the tank will suck the oil out faster than you can believe. Best one I saw was about a 175 gallon tank with a 2" suction hose and 2" ball valves with a 1.5" suction wand, the guy could suck a drum of WVO down in minutes! When done shut all the valves. When you get home you can let the remaining vacuum out and pressurize the tank. Reverse the process, stick the wand in your storage barrel and open the valves to empty the tank. When ever I find one I plan to build a trailer around it complete with a tool box for my gloves an such.
1986 F350 Crew Cab 2wd SRW. 1991 7.3 IDI, T-19 4spd Sterling 10.25 4.10 rear, kingpin D60 4.10 front, 12" HD clutch. A Banks waste gated turbo. Midwest rebuilt IP turned up. AC Delco 6.5 GM 12V GP's, working great. Running W80-W85 high performance zero-gel black diesel! 4wd and dually conversion is done. Washer mod on the D60 kingpins eliminated the death wobble. Custom 10" C-channel front bumper with military D-rings front and rear. Pintle hitch, receiver hitch, and goose neck hitch. 7800lbs full of fuel....
Old 12-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

As soon as there is an eight day of the week, I might, have time to build something like that. I'd like to but for now i'll have to pump. I did a little bit of research on super suckers, it seams hard to find a compact source for vacuum like a vacuum cleaner size or something. I'm just not sure if the truck-packaged-application will work in the areas I'm going to be in. Everything is to big, where I pick up my oil is back in the back with no room for trucks and tanks etc. I may be able to use it at the house though.
I'd have to think about it
Old 12-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

what about a harbor freight vacuum pump they arent much bigger than a pump. also if you cant get your truck to the 55 gal drums to use the super sucker take a hand truck with you and roll the drum to the truck then suck it and put it back. still easier than picking up the drums or pumping onto the truck
whitejohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

I wonder if you could put two shop vacuums in series.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

They one's I've seen pull them down to about 27" vacuum, don't know if a shop vac will do that since they are fans and not positive displacement pumps. I know the engine vacuum pump works if you don't mind waiting to pull the tank down before driving.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah I looked at vacuum pumps, My IQ isn't up to part to understand volume suction empty tank vacuum tank etc. I will get that school lesson later on.
I understand that you want to super suck out the oil, a shop vac comes to my mind, If I wanna pump crazy fluid I have a 1.25 HP flotec well pump on the shelf. I can run it 110v and just have it fit into the 55 gallon drum and plug it in. That's simply to me.
I don't mind spending some money, if I can apply the tool usefully, personally I'm not ready for a super sucker unless they sell one for $19.95, however I'm open to ideas.
Maybe a hybrid super sucker, like a drill pump on steriods, we are Americans, we have to be able to invent something on the cheap that can get the job done in a simpler way. Well Happy New Year guys, it's been great building my WMO filter setup, I'm looking forward to saving TONS of money burning oil, Thanks for the help talk to you guys next year
Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Don't make it so complex in your mind. Basically attach a vacuum source to the tank and pull it down to a vacuum. When you put the collection wand in the collection barrel at your source that vacuum in the tank will pull the oil into the tank, kind of like a giant straw. At some point if you may need to replenish the vacuum in the tank, especially if you are collecting a lot of oil in one trip so it's nice to have an onboard source. The engine vacuum pump for the brakes can be used just and long as the valve to the tank is not open when you are driving or you're power brakes wont work well.

Think of it like a big turkey baster. You squeeze the bulb then put the end in the oil, release the bulb and the vacuum created by the bulb pulls the oil up into it.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

rsr am i thinking correctly saying one of these would work?
2.5 CFM Vacuum Pump

the reason i ask is i have family in the HVAC business and could prolly get an older pump off my uncle for free. if it will work
whitejohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.