fuel from used tires? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel from used tires?

Well I've been burning lots off tires in my wood stove at home and I get gallons of this black gooey stuff that runs out the bottom, so I mixed some with dog manure and a little #2 for good measure. Of course I filter it, window screens work great. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] No really, I saw a short news clip of some one who just patented a process where used tires are chopped up and cooked down under high temp and high pressure. The result is a liquid that has properties close to that of diesel. The other by product is a black powder that is inert. The process is suposed to be worth doing. Meaning, more out than in. They explained that the process frees up energy stored in carbon bonds and anything containing carbon could go through this process, tires are so readilly available and have a high carbon content. I think tires are a petrolium based product right? This process could be done to trash of mostly plastics and rubbers. The owner stated he was going to end our foreign dependency on oil. I got all excited and tried to find info on the internet, but no luck. Thought it could be a good stock investment if available. Any one else hear about this process, or some thing similiar?

DP F5 tuner (60tow,80econo,120race,140agres) sportcomp auto meter trans, boost-n-egt's, cyberdyne digital fuel pressure, coolant and fuel temps., napa tymar w/zoodad, wicked wheel, aih delete, evans lifetime 0 psi coolant, 203 t-stat, diesel site coolant filter, diesel site trans. filter, triple disk billet TC, rebuilt tranny with sonnax upgrades,Richter69 tuned valvebody, custom waste vegetable oil fuel system with FASS pump,(Vegistroke design) Made for cold weather w/50 gal. tank. 315/75/16 DickCepek MC's, 2" front spring lift, rino liner, Fisher Minuteman 8' plow, 3.5"dp to 4" w/dual 5" tips straight out the back w/ soot stains on the bumper, and real .357 bullet holes in the tail gate, not the silly stickers.
frashdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: fuel from used tires?

Haven't heard of that one, which means one of two things;

1-It's true but I just haven't heard of it.

2-It's just a hallucination brought on by your exposure to burning rubber and dog manure [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
JOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

Burning tires for fuel is a working technology for heavy industry. One paper mill in Arkansas can take just about all the used tires for hundreds of miles. Rather that belching out tons of black smoke like when we burn one tire, this process burns so hot that it actually pollutes very little. I don't know if they are using some sort of precipitator on the stacks or what. I have a feeling it is a very complete combustion. From what the plant employees tell me, it works.

I like this because it does two things at the same time: reduced dependence on foreign oil and reduced load on landfill disposal. Oh, and it eliminates a major source of standing water which is a wonderful breeding ground for mosquitoes... the state bird of Louisiana.

Todd
2002 F-250 Lariat, PSD, CC, short bed, 3.73, auto tranny, Line-X bed liner, AFE Filter, HX crossover, intake heater delete, Evans NGC+, Dieselsite 203 thermostat, coolant filter, Amsoil by-pass filter, Schaeffer's synthetic blend tranny fluid, Bob Riley's tranny filter, Velvet Ride shackles, Rancho 9000 shocks with in-cab adjustment, 60 gallon aux tank for burning heated WVO, burning veggie since fall of '04.
ToddT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

Found this:
Pig Manure Converted to Crude Oil

Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News

July 2, 2004
Crude oil and gasoline prices are near an all-time high. But don't despair. One scientist has found an alternative source of energy: pig manure.

Yuanhui Zhang, an agricultural engineering professor at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, has succeeded in turning small batches of hog waste into oil.

The process, called thermochemical conversion, uses heat and pressure to break down carbohydrate materials and turn waste into liquid. The project is still in its infancy.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...02_pigoil.html

And this: Smithfield Foods to convert hog waste into diesel fuel
March 2003
U.S. Water News Online

SMITHFIELD, Va. -- When people think about recycling manure, they usually think about using it as fertilizer on crops. But manure is good for something else, too -- powering cars.

Smithfield Foods announced recently that it will invest $20 million to build facilities that convert its hog waste into ecologically friendly diesel fuel. Production in Utah and another undisclosed Southwestern state is expected to begin by October.
http://www.uswaternews.com/archives/.../3smifoo3.html

Still can't find the guy I saw on tv. There are many people actually burning tires straight, but this guy turned them into liquid fuel like the manure stories. Maybe the oil companies got to him and they wiped out any trace of his existance [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That whole diesel poo thing seems like interesting. Let's figure out how to make it at home. We'll call it "po" short for (poo oil). Wonder what the exhaust smells like? Have you seen the sunflower stickers for the gas doors on vo burning vehicles how about a turd [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Or veggistroke stickers how 'bout pooperstroke [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] oh I'd better stop.

DP F5 tuner (60tow,80econo,120race,140agres) sportcomp auto meter trans, boost-n-egt's, cyberdyne digital fuel pressure, coolant and fuel temps., napa tymar w/zoodad, wicked wheel, aih delete, evans lifetime 0 psi coolant, 203 t-stat, diesel site coolant filter, diesel site trans. filter, triple disk billet TC, rebuilt tranny with sonnax upgrades,Richter69 tuned valvebody, custom waste vegetable oil fuel system with FASS pump,(Vegistroke design) Made for cold weather w/50 gal. tank. 315/75/16 DickCepek MC's, 2" front spring lift, rino liner, Fisher Minuteman 8' plow, 3.5"dp to 4" w/dual 5" tips straight out the back w/ soot stains on the bumper, and real .357 bullet holes in the tail gate, not the silly stickers.
frashdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
That whole diesel poo thing seems like interesting. Let's figure out how to make it at home. We'll call it "po" short for (poo oil). Wonder what the exhaust smells like? Have you seen the sunflower stickers for the gas doors on vo burning vehicles how about a turd Or veggistroke stickers how 'bout pooperstroke oh I'd better stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Glad you said it first. Now I won't have to sink to that level. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Interesting concept tho. Think of all the waste out there to be used. Guess my inlaws would get less wierd looks hauling hogs to the stockyard, with all the trucks smelling the same...
JOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

The tire story you are talking about reminds me of the 'thermal depolymerisation' story that was really big in the news about two years ago. I think they mentioned tires. I think it's a technology similar to pyrolysis (spelling?) which is where you heat up stuff at high temps with no oxygen and it decomposes into various useful fuel-like products (liquid and maybe methane or something? I really dont know this properly!)

anyway, the TDP people, Changing World Technologies, put out a huge press announcement about how they're building a plant that turns 'anything into oil' and I think they mentioned tires. The press story from the press release got forwarded all over the internet and beyond, so a lot of people sort of remember parts of it (like me). It sounded to good to be true.

In the real world, it didnt' work really very well and they're having serious problems. The whole thing is discussed over a 35 page thread at biodieselnow.com: http://www.forums.biodieselnow.com/t...p?TOPIC_ID=829

Mark

...several years with a couple of different 6.9's... now running a (gasp!)1998 GMC 6.5 van... don't shoot me.
girlmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2005, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

If memory serves, there was a pyrolisis plant built in Canada in the 80's with the sole purpose of rendering tires into their various componants ie: oil, carbon and steel.At the time the economics were not rite to provide a profit to the owners so the idea was scrapped perhaps the plant survived but I doubt it. To bad. The problem as I see it with this sort of technology is that once implemented it is adding CO2 to the atmosphere that has been locked in fossil fuel rather than just recycling the current avaliable co2 from biomass.

Bullwnkl.
1990 F250 4x4 nearly stock, Alcoa wheels, 2 1/4" dual exhaust w/glass packs, Air bag rear suspension assit. Motocraft glow plugs, two Optima gelcell batteries, diamond plate running boards, Cowboy Junkies in the CD player, Rust the original Loc-Tite
Bullwnkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

yeah, we all like biomass better from a "carbon cycle" standpoint, but really, if you can use somethign (like tires) twice rather than once (like tires being landfilled or burned for disposal without using the energy for anything) then it seems more sensible..

Mark

...several years with a couple of different 6.9's... now running a (gasp!)1998 GMC 6.5 van... don't shoot me.
girlmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

http://www.edgeleynd.com/edgeleymail...ent_projec.htm

This small down is about 50 miles south of where I live.

It is getting close to being built.
Corbay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

tire burning in CT
toalpi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.