Inline fuel heater - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Inline fuel heater

I've been wanting to run WVO in my truck but I've been too busy with other things to even begin. Today I was servicing a semi truck at work and noticed it used a large coolant filled inline fuel heater. It was about 6 inches in diameter and 12 inches tall. I was wondering if it would be possible to mount one of these near the engine, as close to the injector pump as possible and be able to eliminate the tank heater? I never drive this truck in the winter, its usually at least 60 degrees or warmer out whenever I drive it and most of my driving is back and forth to work, so with a large tank and heater it would take longer to heat the oil than it would to drive to work. Is it possible to use only an inline heater and maybe heat the lines between the heater and injector pump? I would think one of these would heat up pretty fast, but would it heat the oil quickly enough before it is pumped back out to the injector pump? I'm just trying to simplify things and since I don't use the truck when its cold out I was wondering if this would work, or do I still need to heat the tank?
burlbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2005, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Inline fuel heater

The concerns are you want the oil hot, preferably above 150 degrees F.
You also need it heated enough in the lines so it pumps easily. The tank doesn't have to be heated if you are running pure vegetable oil. Unfortunatly most waste oil sources will have some animal fat in them, so if you don't get some heat to the tank it may clog the lines over time. If I were going to try what you're suggesting, I would probably run the heater hose along the fuel line down to near the tank, and mount the heated filter there. Have the tank gravity feed into the filter, and also run the heater hose along the fuel line up to where it comes out of the tank. Enclose all the heated lines in pipe insulation. May work if you can get the oil hot enough.
JOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.