Just saw this on Trucks! (www.freedomfuelamerica.com) opinions? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just saw this on Trucks! (www.freedomfuelamerica.com) opinions?

Hey guys, I just saw a show on Trucks! that featured a do it yourself bio-diesel brew machine from a company called Freedom Fuel America. This machine says to combine WVO, lye, and racing fuel to make your own biodiesel. The combination of valves, detailed instructions, and "chemistry" equipment they include in their kit makes it seem like it could actually work!

Have any of you used this kit and/or have comments on the feasibility of their product by drawing on your own bio-diesel experiences?
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Just saw this on Trucks! (www.freedomfuelamerica.com) opinions?

Unfortunately that's a Fuelmeister-

it's CRAP.

Here's a thread at biodieselnow forums. The administrators of the forum, who are EXTREMELY knowledgeable about biodiesel, made this thread a 'sticky' just so as to warn newcomers not to buy the machine:

http://www.forums.biodieselnow.com/t...?TOPIC_ID=6791
If you go to that forum and do a search for 'fuelmeister' you'll hear a LOT of reasons why you shouldn't buy one.

IT's quite easy to make biodiesel without spending the $4,300 that they charge for the full unit.

For some details of how, see www.localb100.com/cbt and for some vendors of equipment (if you dont' want to buy it locally) go to www.biodieselwarehouse.com, www.utahbiodieselsupply.com and www.b100supply.com

They all sell gear to make 'Appleseed' processors which are safer and cheaper to build (and work better) than Fuelmeisters.

Mark

...several years with a couple of different 6.9's... now running a (gasp!)1998 GMC 6.5 van... don't shoot me.
girlmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi

Does your book list and tell me all I need to know?
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Are there others ...books and such, you recomend?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
'02 Navigator SOLD
'06 F-150 SCREW XLT Sold
'03 F-350 CC LB Dually 7.3 PSD Sold
'09 Taurus
'14 F-250 CC 4x4 Short Bed Gasser
coolfords is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

What about taxes and home-made fuel? Is there some small print I should be aware of before investing in any bio-diesel solution?
Old 06-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looks like its $3000 for the basic unit, then you have to buy the lye and racing fuel.
Then, I don't think that you can run 100% biodiesel in your truck. I believe that 20% is the max. Even if you could make it for 70 cents a gallon, if you can only use it at a 1:5 ratio, it would take forever to pay for it.

Let the commercial companies make it..............

2013 Forest River Surveyor Select SV264
2013 Polaris XP 900 Blue/Orange Madness LE
2013 PJ 25' gooseneck with adjustable dovetail
2013 PJ 24' bumper pull heavy equipment hauler
2014 S&H 16' stock trailer
2014 Big Tex dump trailer
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Then, I don't think that you can run 100% biodiesel in your truck. I believe that 20% is the max. Even if you could make it for 70 cents a gallon, if you can only use it at a 1:5 ratio, it would take forever to pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, where are you getting your information? The only rigs I know of to have trouble with 100% bio-D was a handful of 6.0's (and I think that was later blamed on poorly made fuel).

The 7.3 trucks LOVE 100% bio-D.

Why let the commercial joints have all the fun! Its easy to make, cheap to make, and our trucks run great on the stuff.

Use Girl-Mark's appleseed processor, and you can make for a couple hundred bucks, what that other site is asking 3 grand for!!

Please check out the other threads in this section and see how much time and effort folks have put into these systems, and you will find that your statements are poor at best.
Ford_Forgotton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Free information on how to build a biodiesel processor , and how to make biodiesel:

www.localb100.com/cbt

(processor page is www.localb100.com/cbt/appleseedprocessor )

Below are some companies who sell some of the parts to build a processor in case you dont' want to do the local hardware store runaround (Their prices are very close to what you'll pay at Home Depot, therefore a very good deal) They also sell complete processors and all the other equipment you need, cheap:

www.biodieselwarehouse.com
www.b100supply.com
www.utahbiodieselsupply.com

the company who Fuelmeister got the idea from , who made the original 'kit'- theirs takes a while (compared to biodieselwarehouse.com etc) to get built and shipped, but it's a much better product with better components than Fuelmeister: www.biodieselgear.com

The point about how long it takes to get a 'return on investment' (ie get your $3,000 or $4,300 back ($4,300 is what the Fuelmeister actually costs when you buy a wash tank and a heater) is a very good one. If your goal is to save money on fuel, spending thousands of dollars up front and then doing the labor every time you make fuel, doesn't save you much money. Same goes for SVO kits if someone else installs it for you- you have to look at what your goals are. For many people it's more than the cost.

Of course if you spend $200-$600 to build an Appleseed processor and buy a scale and simple lab gear from one of those other companies or at the pawn shop, it's a lot quicker to "get your money back" compared to the cost of diesel.

My biodiesel book has lots of info about all this, but there's also lots of free info on the www.localb100.com/cbt website also (the site is written by many others as well as me). I've been running out of copies of the book a lot these days, so it takes me 10 days to fill orders these days- I'm working in a town "out in the sticks" and only get to the print shop to print them once a week.
thanks for the plug for this, Darryl.

Mark

...several years with a couple of different 6.9's... now running a (gasp!)1998 GMC 6.5 van... don't shoot me.
girlmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

yea i saw the show then tried to go to their website and it didnt work lol
Autometer Phantom 35psi boost, EGT, Oil Pressure gauges
173/175 injectors with stock nozzles from Swamp's Diesel Performance
modified IDM from Swamp's Diesel Performance
chip from Swamp's Diesel Performance
DIY tymar from Swamp's Diesel Peformance
:future:
20 degree high pressure oil pump
97f250RED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

HEAT AND PLASTIC DO NOT MIX!!!!!!!!!!! I have bought girl_marks book and have built an appleseed processor. It cost me just under $450 to get everything together including collection barrels at restaurants, storage, pumps, fittings, piping, water heater(used), and her book (I would pay triple what she asks for). I now run 100% bio-diesel with no problems. I actually had to put some #2 in yesterday because I've been busy with the new baby and the truck is louder and idles rougher. The bio really runs great. I just saw the trucks episode and it is a shame that they won't come to my house and film my set up.

Scott
sagebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
it is a shame that they won't come to my house and film my set up.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any pics of your setup?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
'02 Navigator SOLD
'06 F-150 SCREW XLT Sold
'03 F-350 CC LB Dually 7.3 PSD Sold
'09 Taurus
'14 F-250 CC 4x4 Short Bed Gasser
coolfords is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

My 05 PowerStroke Diesel owners manual states on page 29:

"Diesel fuel containing no more than 5% biodiesel can be used"

How do you interprete what this means?

Old 06-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

Sadly, Johndeerfarmer, the 6.0 PSD's don't like the 100% biodiesel as our 7.3's do. It has something to do with the higher injector fuel pressure. Others here will be able to guide you regarding the highest percentage of bio to dino to run. You can bet whatever the factory indicates is a VERY conservative number and can be expanded by a fair bit.

Todd T
2002 F-250 Lariat, PSD, CC, short bed, 3.73, auto tranny, Line-X bed liner, AFE Filter, HX crossover, intake heater delete, Evans NGC+, Dieselsite 203 thermostat, coolant filter, Amsoil by-pass filter, Schaeffer's synthetic blend tranny fluid, Bob Riley's tranny filter, Velvet Ride shackles, Rancho 9000 shocks with in-cab adjustment, 60 gallon aux tank for burning heated WVO, burning veggie since fall of '04.
ToddT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Uhm, where are you getting your information? The only rigs I know of to have trouble with 100% bio-D was a handful of 6.0's (and I think that was later blamed on poorly made fuel).
FORD MOTOR COMPANY.............. See my reply a few responses above.......

Please check out the other threads in this section and see how much time and effort folks have put into these systems, and you will find that your statements are poor at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

My statements are true. Seems like most of your other posts are full of crap.
Both Ford and John Deere recommend no more than 5% biodiesel. I know because I own a new 05 Ford and two John Deeres, one being an 05 model. I am not going to buy a $40k truck and a $60k tractor and run 100% biodiesel in in because some idiot like yourself thinks that it's allright, that is unless YOU want to pay the repair bills.
If you want to run it in your 7.3 that's fine, but keep your mouth shut about what you know nothing about. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

we don't need to start another shouting match. personlly I question everything ford says. why, cuz IH makes the motor. I go by there specs.

higher injection pressures, and the rubber lines in the fuel system is why 5% is recomended. although most have run higher ratios, for alot longer, the rubber lines will eventually need to be replaced.

Daryl, You out of new orleans yet????

Diesel Rod

A '97 F250 with 295K miles, 90 LED's and 5" stacks, among other things....

A '96 F250 Reg cab with 210K miles, Needs to go away. PM me.
'86 359 Peterbilt SHORT HOOD. The ongoing "project" it aint pretty but its got a 425 air to air Cat motor .....13 speed Eaton. Corvette Dash, 17 gauges, 8" black stacks, 63" flat top---> 36" sitting here waiting for paint. 1.305 Million Miles.

I don't know what I am doing, I just know I don't have time to do it.
brahamfireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

There are no manufacturers that are backing bio diesel. What ever the reason be politics with big oil or the variance in fuel quality. If you really want to help, run B100 in that new equipment, so we ALL can get an idea of what can safely be run. Maybe start with a couple tanks of B5 and then B20, 50 and so on. I don't have any pictures of my set up yet, I just bought a digital camera yesterday. When I get some I will post them on my webshots.

Scott
sagebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.