My WMO set up - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My WMO set up

I have been running w85 for a little over 4 months and put over 9k miles on my powerstroke. In this time I have changed stuff, bought new parts, and made some new ones too. I figured I would show what I have made in order for others to maybe learn something and for me to learn what I could do better from everyone else.

In my first pic I have 4 different totes. The bottom left is my settling tank. I use the 2 top totes to go out and do pick ups with. Well one of the top totes, I havent had a pickup big enough to need both yet. Once I pick the oil up I add 10% rug and let it sit for 2 to 3 days. I then drain off any antifreeze that I may have picked up. After I get the majority of the AF out I drain the top tote into the bottom tote with the clear hose. I have a bulkhead fitting on the top of the bottom tote that has pvc going to the bottom of the bottom tote. This way I can allow the oil to trickle into the bottom of the bottom tote with out disturbing the clean oil that has been settling. In the tote that is on the lower right is all of my waste oil. In here is all of the oil that I have drained off of the settling tote. I am not sure what I am going to do with this oil since this tote was originally full of nasty wvo that was just caked into it. I tried to pressure wash it out without any luck. I am hoping one day the wmo will disolve the wvo and I can drain it and dump it at my friends shop. For now it is a trash oil collection tank. The 2 jugs in front of the lower left tote are full of AF that I drained out of the top tote before I drain it into the bottom one.

My next pic shows my filter and final mixing drum. When I make a tank of fuel I use the 55g drum to measure out each tank. I pump 45g off the top of my settling tote into the 55g drum. I then add 5% rug and pump it through the filter for about 10 min. I do this after each fill up so I have a tank ready for when I need to fill up again if I am in a hurry. That way I dont have to set up a tank and pump it if I need to be somewhere. By making a new tank after filling the truck the oil can sit for a week in the 55g drum and more crap can fall out of the oil for the filter to get out. And since starting to do it this way I havent had any water in my water seperator on the truck and my secondary filters have lasted 2x as long as the first set. I quickly found that you shouldnt do a pickup and try and make a tank in the same day. I killed all of my filters on that tank and decided I needed to do something different. The oil may look perfectly black on top but right under the surface is SH*T!

In the 3rd and 4th pic is my pickup pump. When I first started I was using the green filter to do pickups with. It worked great as long as there was no AF in their oil tank. If there was the filter turned most of the oil to chocolate milk for the next couple weeks. That is how I ended up with 2 of the green filters. I was planning on using the second one for pickups but the gear pump was bad so I made my own pump that is smaller, not much lighter but definatley smaller. I used the electric motor from the second green pump and bought a new gear pump and welded up the base to put them together. It is working better this way so I dont get any emulsified oil. Without the filter the oil and water dont mix up.
The base isnt the nicest looking thing in the world but it works good. I ended up using a piece of frame rail from an international truck and it was a PITA to cut with my little plasma cutter.

I am going to build a supersucker hopefully in the next 3 or 4 months. I'll post back about how I do it. I am not very good at taking pics, usually I am finished with my project then remember that I wanted to take pics of what I was working on. I'll try and remember this time.

Let me know what you guys think.
Vic

2002 Ford F350 PSD Crew Cab Limited 4x4, 7800 miles on mostly w85.
evo45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

I like it.

Not everyone will have the space and resources that you have but your pics and description should help a lot of guys get ideas on settling. Filters are neat, nifty, and all that, but can't take the place of settling first.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Sounds like you have it worked out. Good to notice that you added Banjo quick-cam fittings and y-trap. They sure make it easier don't they.
Jeffrey S Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

The banjo fittings are great! They y-trap is kind of a prefilter for big pieces of trash. I also have a screen on the end of my pickup tube to keep very large pieces of trash out of the trap. Since allowing the oil to settle for long periods it has helped keep any water or antifreeze out of my water seperator.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here is a little closer pic of my filter. I have added a fuel nozzle to it since this pic. There are a few things that I have changed but this gives you an idea of what it is. The oil is picked up through the pvc wand connected to the black tubing with banjo fittings. The red tube is a pressure relief and allows excess pressure to recirculate back to the 55g drum. This is how I let the pump filter a few passes trough the 1 micron bag filter that is in the green canister. The 2 secondary filters on the left are Cim-Tek filters. The first is a 10 micron hydrosorb part number 70063. The second filter is a 2 micron absolute filter, part number 70814. When I am ready to fill the truck I open a ball valve before the Cim-tek filters and oil will flow through them into the truck. With this setup there is no way to put unfiltered oil into the truck.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo45 View Post
The banjo fittings are great! They y-trap is kind of a prefilter for big pieces of trash. I also have a screen on the end of my pickup tube to keep very large pieces of trash out of the trap. Since allowing the oil to settle for long periods it has helped keep any water or antifreeze out of my water seperator.
Your setup looks quite a bit like mine, except I have two 2" y-traps. The first has a 40 mesh screen in it, the second has an 80 mesh, but if I were to do it over again, the last y-trap would have a 120 mesh screen in it. And, I go to a 20" 1-micron bag filter.

20" Pentek bag filter
Banjoy y-trap

pickup tube

pickup screen

So, what mesh do you have in your y-trap? I like your homemade bag filter housing. So, what size bag did you use, a 20" bag filter, like I used? The housing looks like it could handle a larger bag.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I dont know the dementions on the bag filter. I think it is 32 inches long. I didnt make the filter housing, I bought it used from a local guy that was using it for a fleet of trucks. He used wvo for everything he had, bobcats, trackhoes, dump trucks, and his multiple F550's. The first 2 totes I bought from him, he had over a 150 of them! He had 2 of these green filters and I bought both of them. I only ended up using one of them tho and the other for parts. Here is a newer pic of my pump.

For the y-trap at first I had a 120 screen in it but it would clog way too fast. I wouldnt get but 10 gallons through it and the pump wouldnt move anymore oil. I went up to the 80 screen I think and it works great! The pump doesnt get hit with anything and moves alot of oil, I think about 20 gpm.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

I forgot to mention that I have a bulk head fitting in the cap on the top of my pickup tote. I have a banjo fitting on it to connect my hoses easily. It keeps the hose from falling out of the tote and making a huge mess. I had thought about filling the tote from the bottom at the ball valve but if for some reason I loose power to my pump I have a mess waiting to happen. If the pump stalls this way I only have to figure out what I am going to do with the oil in the line, not the whole tote.

I have some pics of what I installed on my dads F350 before I started running it on w85. I'll have to take some pics of it installed. Here are the parts from my twin superduty pump install.

This is the filter head for the water seperator. Fuel comes into the filter through the ball valve and exits through 2 push-lok fittings to two SD pumps. It is mounted to the frame rail with an aluminum bracket I made. One SD pump is mounted on the outside of the frame rail and one is on the inside.

This pic is of the main filter, filter base. It is a Cim-tek part #50032. I used this filter base because it uses the same filters as my Fass fuel pump so we dont have to have 4 different types of filters. The filters are interchangeable between my truck and my dads. this filter base is mounted to the frame rail with the trans cross member bolts with an aluminum bracket I welded up. I'll take some pics of everything installed in the next couple days.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am kind of thread stealing my own post but here is a pic of part of my install process.

I am luck enough to have a warehouse that I can work in that I do all my oil processing in and working on my cars. I dont have a lift but a piece of card board keeps the floor clean and makes it easy to slide around under the truck. In the pic you can see the bracket I made for the Cim-tek filter head. I forgot to say that I picked up the other filter head from Wix & Napa Filters & Accessories: FleetFilter Secure Online Store, I also bought a bunch of 33405 water seperator filters. I picked that filter because that is what Fass suggested for their pump and that is the pump I run on my F250.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo45 View Post
For the y-trap at first I had a 120 screen in it but it would clog way too fast. I wouldnt get but 10 gallons through it and the pump wouldnt move anymore oil. I went up to the 80 screen I think and it works great! The pump doesnt get hit with anything and moves alot of oil, I think about 20 gpm.
I have actually had the 40-mesh screen plug more than the 80 mesh screen after it, but it has never stopped my process, I just increase the pressure up-stream.

I use pneumatic pumping, which means I pump the batch of oil I am going to process into a pressure tank, which is an old compressor tank, then I blend it with gasoline there, and let it settle for a few days to a week, then I drain the sludge off every day. When no more sludge comes off the bottom, then I introduce compressed air at the top, and open a valve at the bottom of the tank, which sends my blend through two 2" y-traps, then to my 1-micron filter.

I also modified the y-traps and Pentek filter housing so that I can back flush them.

I am curious what the guy is now doing who you bought your setup from, because his setup is pretty good. I would only add a cone or domed shape settling tank, and back-flushing the y-traps and filter.

Last edited by Jeffrey S Brooks; 09-18-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

The guy I bought them from sold his business but kept some of his equiptment. He no longer runs what he has left on wvo. All of his trucks had a 2 tank wvo system on them. The track hoes he had ran on wvo strait with no diesel to start up. He said it sounded like crap when it first started but it would run fine in a min or two.

I am not sure what a cone shaped settling tank would help. I guess I would be able to get more crap off the bottom than I can with a tote. I dont use the last 50 gallons of oil in the tote anyway. If I am down to 50 gallons I figure I am out. I am draining 150 gallons into the bottom tank right now. It has been slowly draining since Friday afternoon.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

I want to build one of these one day
, this will make picking up oil way easier and faster. This guy has a 500 gallon tank and I want to use a 250 gallon. With a 250 I can put it in the bed of my truck with the tailgate closed and the topper on and it will be more hidden than just sitting on a trailer. I can use my forklift to put it in the truck.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Yes, we have been talking about the vacuum super sucker lately. I think it is a good idea.

But, back to your home made bag filter housings. I was thinking about them last night. Have you taken them apart to replace the bag filter yet? Is there a drain valve on the canister? Is there a basket that surrounds the bag filter inside the canister? What pressure do you run your filter at?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

The green filter housing came from GreEnergy Systems I bought mine used and spend way, way less than what he is trying to get for them. The filter is made to get up to 350 psi on the dirty side. It uses a small gear to gear hydraulic pump to move the oil. It has a pipe that runs up the side of the housing that puts the oil into the top of the bag filter.
The filter has an expanded metal cage for support at those pressures. I'll snap som pics of what the inside looks like. It seems very strong and I would be willing to bet it would take alot more pressure than the guy says it will but I'll follow his guide lines. I would guess I have run close to 700 gallons of wmo through it and it hasnt had much pressure increase, maybe 5 psi.
I havnt had to replace the bag yet. With how I have been settling and filtering I would bet I should be able to run 3k to 4k gallons of oil through it. I check on the bag every once and a while to make sure there are no tears in it. Even if I get a hole in it the secondary filters will still filter the oil, they will just clog faster.
In the pic of the filter that I posted you can see the drain on the side of the housing. I only use it to pull a sample while the pump is running.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Since I started letting the oil settle I havent had any water or antifreeze in my water seperator on either of the trucks I run my fuel in. Allowing the oil to sit even gets most of the trash out of it. I havent had to clean my filter screen before the pump since I started doing it this way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.