Old Diesel Fuel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
KEG

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Old Diesel Fuel

I have an a rental house with a 250 gallon tank of fuel oil (#2 Diesel) that has been in the house for about +30 years. Now I need to get rid of it.

So what can I do with it? Does old diesel go bad? And if so, can it be replenished to work in my '97 7.3L F-250? I need a solution that puts $3.25 per gallon fuel oil to good use. Looking for any good ideas!

KEG
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Old Diesel Fuel

After a while it will go bad...gets Algae and starts to smell really stale. As far as time frame im not sure. Do you know how old it is? I have used diesel that is 2 years old before I topped it off with fresh diesel and every chance I got when it used some I would keep topping it off.

I have taken diesel that is older than 2 years old and ran it through my bullet kerosene heater. Ran just fine...little stinky but it was used in a open car port in winter.

I did use a biocide in the old diesel to help kill off any algae that had built up.
Lee Haenschen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Send a message via AIM to VD350

Are you saying the tank is 30+ years old or the fuel is ?

I've used stuff up to 7 years old in sealed 55 gallon drums, but it went in my tank with ALOT of additive added.

www.Fordemblem.com
My Truck and My Yamaha Tri-Z
VD350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
KEG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VegieDiesel250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you saying the tank is 30+ years old or the fuel is ?
</div></div>

The tank is probably 80 years old, but the fuel that's in there is probably +30 years old.

I was thinking supplements might make it usable (along with some filtering). But this is not something I want to guess at and screw up my 7.3L. However, I thought Diesel is a lower grade fuel that could have retained its minimal octane (if that's the right word) and would still burn if it has some of the other key elements reviatalized (i.e., supplements) and then filtered, etc.

I'm open to ideas. I just don't want to throw away $3.25/gal. fuel that could be put to use.

KEG
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
spg

I would not be afraid to filter it and run it if it has not been contaninated. You could run anywhere from a 5 to 50% blend easily. I have seen 20 year old #1 mixed with no problem.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lee Haenschen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I did use a biocide in the old diesel to help kill off any algae that had built up. </div></div>

That would be the first thing to do. Then filter it to 2 microns and check to see if there is any moisture in it. If so make sure to NOT pump from the bottom of the drum and have a good water separator filter like a hydrosorb filter .

hheynow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Were it me, I'd pump some from several inches off the bottom (avoiding water) into clear glass container. If it looked good as in no green or brown slime and smelled like diesel, then run it. I would make sure I carried a extra filter just in case.

Good luck, RJR
1995 3500 Cummins, 4x4, 5spd, 4.10, pac brake, TST #5, 3k gsk, 215 injectors, BHAF, 50lb. boost, egt ga., TAG, 35/40, ported 12cm2 ex. timing 16.5
moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.