pros and cons of running used motor oil? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pros and cons of running used motor oil?

I have been wondering if anyone has experience with mixing used engine, trans, and hydraulic oil with diesel fuel.

My plan is to obtain a 55 gallon drum and filter used oils down to one or two microns and then blend it with the diesel in a transfer tank.

Are the additives in todays oils harmful to the injection system in my 99 7.3?
Would i need a heater if i run a 50 oil/50 diesel or 60/40 mixture?
Should it be spun in a centrifuge before or after filtering?
Does the oil need heated to separate additives or anything else?
What kind of mileage and power increases or decreases should be expected, and what kind of savings have you seen?

Thanks in advance!
99F2507.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Your at the right site, just the wrong section. There is a whole group of us already running WMO. We've done a lot of the groundwork to get WMO to run well in our trucks. Don't try to completely re-invent the wheel - do some reading and you'll be good to go -

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

This is a good post to start on -

SMOKELESS!!!
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Holy crap batman i didnt even see that. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
But yes, it works great. I'm doing it too.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

99F2507.3 - Welcome to this side of the forum. We all started someplace and with lots of help from others like BTBBT who helped get me started.

Do a lot of reading, ask a lot of questions and you will be able to get started a lot quicker and easier than some of us who are stuborn and slow to do the right thing. These are wonderful folks who will help all they can.

2000 F250 Superduty 180K and counting 4X4 4R100 Glow Shift gauge - EGT - Boost - Tranny Temp Fuel Pressure on an A pillar mount Diesel Site boots Transgo shift kit K & N Stage II air filter 5" exhaust RiffRaff AIH to boost mod CCV mod DP-Tuner with W85 settings Amsoil Bypass oil filter 6.0 tranny cooler, W80, Cooling Mist water injection.
F250Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99F2507.3 View Post
I have been wondering if anyone has experience with mixing used engine, trans, and hydraulic oil with diesel fuel.
You are in the right place now, because a lot of us are making diesel fuel out of just about any waste oil by blending it with gasoline.
Quote:
My plan is to obtain a 55 gallon drum and filter used oils down to one or two microns and then blend it with the diesel in a transfer tank.
The thing to get right off, is blend your waste oil with gasoline at 10-20% first, then let it settle for 24 hours for WVO and 3 days for WMO, then drain the sludge off the bottom, then filter, then centrifuge.
Quote:
Are the additives in todays oils harmful to the injection system in my 99 7.3?
The additives in motor oil do not seem to pose a problem for engines or people when burned in a diesel engine as fuel.
Quote:
Would i need a heater if i run a 50 oil/50 diesel or 60/40 mixture?
Yes, if you blend with diesel fuel only, then your engine will burn your blend better if it is heated first.
Quote:
Should it be spun in a centrifuge before or after filtering?
If you want to, but proper settling takes care of 99.9% of the precipitates.
Quote:
Does the oil need heated to separate additives or anything else?
If you blend first, then settle, then you do not need to heat your waste oil.
Quote:
What kind of mileage and power increases or decreases should be expected, and what kind of savings have you seen?
If you blend properly, then you should see the same mileage and performance of diesel fuel. Most blenders find their blend costs them about 50c per gallon if they are buying gasoline to blend with. Some people occasionally find waste gasoline or other solvents to blend with. Then, the cost is only in filters, and if you learn to back-flush your filters, as I do, then there is only the start-up cost of purchasing equipment for handling and processing waste oils into diesel fuel.

Last edited by Jeffrey S Brooks; 01-20-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Jeffrey S Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

You are unlikely to find any change in mileage or performance. When first starting on WMO blends, you will almost certainly need to keep a supply of fuel filters on hand for your vehicle as the detergents in oil and the gasoline will clean your entire fuel system and the results wind up in your on board filter. After a 1,000 or so miles, that will stop. Recommended: EGT, boost, transmission and fuel pressure gauges. That will help monitor your engine.

2000 F250 Superduty 180K and counting 4X4 4R100 Glow Shift gauge - EGT - Boost - Tranny Temp Fuel Pressure on an A pillar mount Diesel Site boots Transgo shift kit K & N Stage II air filter 5" exhaust RiffRaff AIH to boost mod CCV mod DP-Tuner with W85 settings Amsoil Bypass oil filter 6.0 tranny cooler, W80, Cooling Mist water injection.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

PROS: You are substituting your labour and efforts for a comercially available product easily obtainable with hard earned money [ Diesel ]

CONS: You are substituting a comercially available product that is easily obtainable with money [ Diesel ] for your labour and effort

When you first "test the waters" , you will have no issues at all [ except maybe an initial filter plugging problem ], Then we all confident and start to get greedy [or miserly ] and try to run closer to 100% WMO all the time!
Thats when the issues start to happen but these can be overcomed with a little effort [ and the correct advice ]

If you ran a W90 blend [ with engine oil ] and then conservatively mixed that brew with 40%+ diesel in your tank [ you will reduce your costs substantially but not eliminate them ] and you will have very few problems

If you fit into the greedy [or miserly ] category like myself, then stick around and have some fun playing with your blends and vehicles, I have been blending WMO on and off for years now and the only issues I've had were caused by me!

Last edited by kerrynzl; 01-21-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling mistake!
kerrynzl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I must say I am also gready.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

I want to do this to save on fuel costs and its something else to do in my spare time.

I have some wmo in buckets that would definetly need filtered but i know its useable.

Whats the first step i need to take to do this to fuel my truck. I want it to eventually be running only on the wmo/rug blend.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

I got too greedy and tried running too much WMO and too little solvent/dilution (as well as not understanding that the sludge needed to me drained off so I was using my sludge too )..Yes that is when the problems started. Fairly easily remedied by running straight D2 for a while and fixing my processing setup.
2000 F-250 7.3L Turbo, 200K Miles, Extended Cab, Custom Brush Guard, ARE topper, 4" MBRP Exhaust, TS6 Chip with DPS Tunes, Gauges, 6637 air filter, harpoon and hutch mods, banjo bolt mod, fuel bowl mods, Riff Raff FRx, HPx, CCV mod, EBPV delete, bypass oil filter
maxtrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

On the labor verses cost component of making diesel fuel, in the beginning you might spend a lot of time making your own diesel fuel, and replacing fuel filters, etc. However, when you learn what you are doing and simplify the process, then it may take you as little time as it takes me to make fuel. It takes me about 1 hour to make 5 gallons of fuel, which translates into $20/hour, which seems like reasonable income to me.
Jeffrey S Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

I agree with Jeffrey, the labor is heavy up front. There is always some time involved, because you have to pick up the base product (WMO/WVO), transport to where you are processing, transfer it between settling containers and processer and so forth. In the end, you can make fuel reasonably quick and easy when you have worked out just how you are going to do your processing. My problem is that I keep tweeking it so I am always out in the garage tinkering. It is getting faster and easier all the time. Think vacuum and air pressure. When you incorporate those two into your transfers, it quicker, easier and cleaner.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250Truckin View Post
I agree with Jeffrey, the labor is heavy up front. There is always some time involved, because you have to pick up the base product (WMO/WVO), transport to where you are processing, transfer it between settling containers and processer and so forth. In the end, you can make fuel reasonably quick and easy when you have worked out just how you are going to do your processing. My problem is that I keep tweeking it so I am always out in the garage tinkering. It is getting faster and easier all the time. Think vacuum and air pressure. When you incorporate those two into your transfers, it quicker, easier and cleaner.

Haha Jerry!
Think vacuum and air pressure, sealed containers with overflow return hoses!

One day you might thank me for that little tweek!
kerrynzl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

I already am thanking you. You the man. 55 gallons of WMO is heavy and just plain dirty. Any system that handles it quick, easy and clean is a blessing. Rubber gloves anyone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.