Red Kerosene?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 147
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red Kerosene??

Im getting ready to start my process and have read ALOT of this forum and am ready to start asking dumb questions. I went out and got a 55 gallon drum of Kerosene and it was Red in color? I have used kerosene before in a heater but it was white or clear I should say.
Whats up with it being red? I have heard that it may be red dye diesel...is that correct? I did get it at a gas station for 4.19 a gallon.
I am going to use the DSE mixing instructions but I need to know if I use it in a 20% ratio recomended with petro diesel or use the recomended 10% ratio with Kerosene?

Thanks
tregrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mayretta, Ga
Posts: 45
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The pump you got it from should have had some verbiage about it being for non-taxable use. I don't know of any on-road use for kerosene.... but i suppose since it is sold at service stations they could dye it and declare it tax exempt.


Diesel fuel is dyed and declared tax exempt use only. If you are at all scared of the tax man you may want to re-think using that dyed kerrosene. the tax man will not care what fuel was originally dyed... if his "sniffer" finds that dy in your tank you could be subject to large fines. He will not care to hear any story involving tax exempt fuel.... But you may or may not be scared of the tax man.
__________________
sinner in need of The Savior.

2001 F250 Extended Cab 7.3L Superchips. Air Raid Intake. DieselSite 203* T-stat. DieselSite AIH Delete. Dieselsite Valley Boots, DieselSite Turbo Master, Tekonsha Prodigy. B&W Turnover Gooseneck.

WVO conversion, installed and then removed.

Wife's= 2002 VW Jetta TDI. Coolant Heater.
YergInGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
DIESELDUTTON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: E.H.T. NEW JERSEY
Posts: 1,234
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tregrad View Post
Im getting ready to start my process and have read ALOT of this forum and am ready to start asking dumb questions. I went out and got a 55 gallon drum of Kerosene and it was Red in color? I have used kerosene before in a heater but it was white or clear I should say.
Whats up with it being red? I have heard that it may be red dye diesel...is that correct? I did get it at a gas station for 4.19 a gallon.
I am going to use the DSE mixing instructions but I need to know if I use it in a 20% ratio recomended with petro diesel or use the recomended 10% ratio with Kerosene?

Thanks
I have used both red and clear, but the last 100 gallons or so I have used diesel at the normal DSE ratio with no problems at all. Good luck

Frank
__________________
http://community.webshots.com/user/dieseldutton
1997 F-250 H.D 4X4 CREW CAB SHORT BED, MBRP 4" TURBO BACK, 16K REESE, 3:55, Auto Meter Sport Comp gauges, tri pillar, 11\16\05 BDP STAGE 1 INJECTORS, TS 6 POSITION CHIP, TYMAR INTAKE 3/27/06 B.T.S. , SIRIUS RADIO, BDP IDM, 4" 350 BLOCKS,160,000 SP Exhaust Brake, 7/4/07 6.0 Intercooler, 7/29/07 Blackbirds Customs rear disc 9/11/07 King Pin Dana 60, SKY 3" RSK, V code 5200 lbs SD springs, 10/17/07 Pro Comp Xtreme's 315x75x16 on Pro Comp 1059's 8"x16" 1/27/08 DIY Fuel System, Running on DSE since March 2008
2004 Pitbull Motorsports rigid chopper...Traded on 2010 F-250 5/30/14
121 TP 130rwh 250 avon
04 CRF250 mine....Gone
02 CR80 sons...Gone
03 XR100 daughters..Gone
425 Polaris magnum
500 Polaris sportsman and 300 lakota everyone
2011 Cougar 325 SRX Toyhauler
2010 F-250 4 door 6.4 with all the fixins
DIESELDUTTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 309
My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you are using it as a "cutter" use the same ratio as diesel #2.
__________________
1993 Crewcab 4x4 coverted extendcab,7ft bed , upgraded rebuilt E4OD w/ shift, new shocks, 3.55, Eagle aluminum wheels,1996 bumper, front buckets, ATS turbo w/ 4inch custom exhaust in process,60 gal aux tank for alt-- err extra fuel

1984 300SD single tank mix doing great

1998 Mountaineer FOR SALE

1994 Bronco w/ 1995 Lightning motor..wa hooo
jski55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 147
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YergInGA View Post
The pump you got it from should have had some verbiage about it being for non-taxable use. I don't know of any on-road use for kerosene.... but i suppose since it is sold at service stations they could dye it and declare it tax exempt.


Diesel fuel is dyed and declared tax exempt use only. If you are at all scared of the tax man you may want to re-think using that dyed kerrosene. the tax man will not care what fuel was originally dyed... if his "sniffer" finds that dy in your tank you could be subject to large fines. He will not care to hear any story involving tax exempt fuel.... But you may or may not be scared of the tax man.

Thanks for the input fellas.....as the tax man goes I am buying "Kerosene" I will go and take a pic of the store or a video of it or something to back my play . a reciept may even do the trick lol .

again thanks alot
tregrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It doesn't matter where you bought it, or if it was kerosene, if they check you and you run any dyed fuel in your vehicle, including kerosene, its a $10,000 fine. In certain parts of the country they stop and check a lot of trucks.
SunWizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Medford, Oregon
Posts: 5,745
My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tregrad View Post
Thanks for the input fellas.....as the tax man goes I am buying "Kerosene" I will go and take a pic of the store or a video of it or something to back my play . a reciept may even do the trick lol .

again thanks alot

Like the others have said, the dye is for tax purposes. They will not care if its kerosene or not, if its dyed, it has no business in your truck. You are guilty of tax evasion. Fines will vary depending on several things, but will be severe, and not worth the pennies you save puring it into your tank.

BTW, K1 is used in winter fuel to help lower the gel point, so claiming that "its kerosene" won't cut it.

OMC
__________________
Feb 03 6.0 Silver F-250 SD SC XLT long box, 6-spd 3.73ls, Fx4, Stock, Spray-in liner, Contico box.HARPOONED.
OMCUSNR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.