Selling biodiesel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Selling biodiesel

I was wondering what all a person would have to do to legally sell biodiesel to friends? And also to legally run it in my own truck.
2004 F-350 Lariat DRW, 225,xxx miles, 4" Dual Turbo back MBRP, SCT tuned by Jody, Spearco Intercooler(one word..wow!) and Suncoast Trans kit from Black Widow(thanks Santa!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ). Best time 9.78 in 1/8th.
JMS8800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Selling biodiesel

to run it in your own truck-it sure makes a good diesel additive--doesnt it?????????? but to sell it???!!!!! tax forms--gov interventun--sure you want that????and registration forms out the ^$%^--at least here where i live-------
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2005, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am thinking the same thing. Then it dawned on me I would be better off selling it as home heating fuel. No tax crap more volume to each client. Minimum 200 gal per house. Now I just need 1/2 mill to buy the collecting truck, delivery truck lots of large tanks and a large possessor. Canít forget the protection money I am sure there will be a war for the used oil. But probably worth it.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

well how do i find out what i need to do in my state(texas) if i still want to?
2004 F-350 Lariat DRW, 225,xxx miles, 4" Dual Turbo back MBRP, SCT tuned by Jody, Spearco Intercooler(one word..wow!) and Suncoast Trans kit from Black Widow(thanks Santa!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ). Best time 9.78 in 1/8th.
JMS8800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would think Insurance would be enough to keep someone from becoming a "refinery". If you really plan on producing that much fuel, just take "donations" from your buddies with a no risk clause.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

To sell Biodiesel you need to register with the EPA. To do this you need emmision health testing data. To get that you need to join the National Biodiesel Board at a minimum cost of $2500. Then you need to meet ASTM specs which requires extensive testing ($1100 for the full battery)for each batch!. Then you will need to meet all local and state regulations. I recommend skipping that and using you own fuel. I understand B100 eats home heating oil pumps but is ok at 50%.
02 F-250 4X4 CC PSD ATO "Power Master" transmission upgrade with dual auxiliary coolers plumbed in SS lines, AFE intake,dual alternators,4" SS exhaust, Western Performance Quad Chip, Billet grill, PIAA driving and clear headlights, front receiver hitch Bushwacker fender flares, Draw Tite brake controller, Innovation topper, Rhino bed liner and carpet, Power rear window slider, tube steps, LOVES B100
78 F-250 Hi-Boy 390
68 M-715 5/4 ton 4X4
98 Jetta TDI, Chipped and running B-100
TDISteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2005, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just do it on a "gentlemans" agreement with your friends. Don't take pictures, don't record anything, don't write anything down. Just make it, and sell it to them for cash money on the spot, with the understanding that it is at their own risk. And keep it small.

THE ABSOLUTE LAST THING that us home-brewers need is to get noticed by the tax man. Or the EPA. Or anybody else for that matter. Right now, we are flying under the radar, and no one seems to care about us. If THEY start finding out home brewers are making and selling this stuff, they will want their cut, and the regulations will start flying, so that we all will have to pay all kinds of taxes, or break the law evading them, if we want to keep doing our thing. Just my .02
Haulin' a 11.5' camper, an '85 Bayliner Capri 20' boat w/ Chevy 350, and a flatbed w/ two big quads.
2004 Grizzly 660 Yamaha (For Me)
2004 Polaris 500 HO (For the Wife)
Spokane, WA

"I don't ride bulls, but I have fought some men" Hank Williams, Jr.

"Sie vie pacem, para bellum" (if you want peace, first prepare for war...)
Hoss350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2005, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

To sell it as fuel you will have to go thru the ordeal others have mentioned. To sell it as an "additive" is much simpler from what I've heard. HERE is a place selling Bio as an additive.
JOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

3.05 per gallon for a 55 gallon drum??? thats pretty cheap comapred to #2! 2.65 per/gal if you buy 1500 gallons!

Any idea what their delivery cost is?
1997 F350 CC 4x4 LB 4:10

MODS-
Hypertech Power Programmer
Autometer Ultra Lights Boost, <font color="red"> PYRO </font>, Trans
DPP 3" Downpipe Gutted EBPV, Cat Delete
DIY Open Air Intake
Motorcraft batteries replaced 3/23/05
FTVB installed 86230 miles on 6/28/05
Truck Pics
lukeduke95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've never dealt with them directly. FWIW, $3.05 is what "new" bio is selling for in San Jose at the pump.
JOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
To sell it as fuel you will have to go thru the ordeal others have mentioned. To sell it as an "additive" is much simpler from what I've heard. HERE is a place selling Bio as an additive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just sent them an email inquiring about shipping. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
TexasTDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

You would have to register as a renderer and get your vehicle permited, then depending on how many gallons you produce whether you will have to pay a construction fee. you can find all of the rules at the TX dept of meat assurance Here

Then from there who knows, I imagine your fuel must perform upto ASTM standards and then you get into fuel taxes.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I hope this helps

Ian
firefighter911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

Here is an updated version of the Texas Articles dealing with collecting and rendering WVO, effective as amended 01-01-2005. I have detected a few small differences.
slactrac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.