Used transmission fluid for fuel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Used transmission fluid for fuel

Is anyone running used automatic trans fluid in their PSD? I have been running since this past summer. I was running a 50/50 mix with diesel, but now with the cold weather I am at about a third trans fluid. Anyway, the truck runs great. Back before I started running the trans fluid I had one injector that had a noticeably different sound when I performed an injector buzz test. Now, five months later I run the test and that injector sound the same as the others. I'm guessing that not only am I getting basically free fuel, but it has a possitive effect on the injectors as well. What are your thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

ATF is known to remove deposits from diesel fuel systems, many mechanics use it as a fuel additive to keep injectors clean.
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
arthurgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptech View Post
Is anyone running used automatic trans fluid in their PSD? I have been running since this past summer. I was running a 50/50 mix with diesel, but now with the cold weather I am at about a third trans fluid. Anyway, the truck runs great. Back before I started running the trans fluid I had one injector that had a noticeably different sound when I performed an injector buzz test. Now, five months later I run the test and that injector sound the same as the others. I'm guessing that not only am I getting basically free fuel, but it has a possitive effect on the injectors as well. What are your thoughts?
Others have had similare results...good luck keep it up
1993 Crewcab 4x4 coverted extendcab,7ft bed , upgraded rebuilt E4OD w/ shift, new shocks, 3.55, Eagle aluminum wheels,1996 bumper, front buckets, ATS turbo w/ 4inch custom exhaust in process,60 gal aux tank for alt-- err extra fuel

1984 300SD single tank mix doing great

1998 Mountaineer FOR SALE

1994 Bronco w/ 1995 Lightning motor..wa hooo
jski55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I need some advise

I started a thread about maybe having some "sticky" injectors in my IDI

Sticky injector??? But not when at temp

But as the thread went along it pointed more to the IP and possibly the advance mech. I was wondering if ATF might clean up the IP. I just swapped trannies for a guy in a '87 Honda and I have 1 gal of ATF. I know I should filter it but how and is a gallon enough in 20 gal of #2 to do anything???
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
There was an article in diesel power mag about this. It was full of 'at your own risk' statements. The guy used 90% tranny fluid and had a portable pump and filter setup.
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
24' 5th wheel camping trailer, no RV parks...just the woods.
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I know I should filter it but how and is a gallon enough in 20 gal of #2 to do anything???
I filter mine with a two micron fuel filter (you want a filter that won't bypass) I got at NAPA. I have a pressure gage on it so that I will know when it starts to clog. Right now it is hooked up to a pump that is run with a drill (about 10-12 $$ at a hardware store). It's kind of a pain, but I haven't found a good electric pump that will do the job yet.

I would say that any amount you add to the #2 fuel will help. Before I started using it, I added 2 stroke oil to help lube the ULSD.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Toptech, check that article in the Diesel Power Mag, you can buy most of what he uses to pump and filter in the northern tool catalogue
DP 80econ -Stuck there for now because someone stole my SCT box
2 Optima Red Tops
Auto Meter Boost and Pyro Gauges
8,200lbs---Cat Scale---Thats me and and 38 Gallons of Diesel

1987 Mustang GT Cobra Clone- crate motor, cage and more suspension than I know what to do with
Loves to run down Vettes and Vipers on the road course

34 Ft Kaufman Solid Deck 2-Car Hauler

Last edited by TonkaThunder; 12-27-2008 at 04:19 PM.
TonkaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Good article. I'm going to have to check into that pump.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
pump

I saw that article. I use the same pump that he has. I got it from Northern Tool. The pump is great. I use it for WVO. I extended the power cord that came with it. The hoses suck. They are so stiff now that it is hard to use. ATF may not do that to them, but WVO did. The pump is great. fast, easy to take apart and clean, and even the internals look sturdy. I think it was $180 or so.

BZ
bzirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptech View Post
I filter mine with a two micron fuel filter (you want a filter that won't bypass) I got at NAPA. I have a pressure gage on it so that I will know when it starts to clog. Right now it is hooked up to a pump that is run with a drill (about 10-12 $$ at a hardware store). It's kind of a pain, but I haven't found a good electric pump that will do the job yet.

I would say that any amount you add to the #2 fuel will help. Before I started using it, I added 2 stroke oil to help lube the ULSD.
Thanks for the info. Now I know what I am looking for.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

bzirk, how do you filter what you pump?
2 Optima Red Tops

1987 Mustang GT Cobra Clone- crate motor, cage and more suspension than I know what to do with

Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

filter

I get oil in the cubbies. I pour through the ez-strainers 600-400-200-100 microns into a 55gal drum. I try to let it settle as long as possible. The I have a 1/2 HP water pump from Harbor Freight and run it through two house water filters (10" x 2.5"). 30 micron and 5 micron. Then it goes through a goldenrod waterblock filter just to be safe. The oil I get is pretty good. I do the crackle test once and a while. It always tests good. Once in a while I get a cubbie that has water in it, so I always smell before I pour.

I have a 60 gal vertical air compressor tank that I was going to set up for vacuum dewatering, but I have not needed to set it up yet.

I am reworking my setup now. I am going to add pressure guages between the pump and the 30 micron filter and another between the 30 micron and the 5 micron. I hope to watch the pressures to know which filter is clogged. Right now when the flow gets too slow for me to watch, I change the 30 filter. If the flow returns, that is all I do, if the flow is still slow, I change the 5 micron.

I did 100 gallons in two hours a few weeks ago from cubbies to filtered barrels.

BZ
Old 12-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzirk View Post
I get oil in the cubbies. Then it goes through a goldenrod waterblock filter just to be safe. The oil I get is pretty good. I do the crackle test once and a while. It always tests good. Once in a while I get a cubbie that has water in it, so I always smell before I pour.

I did 100 gallons in two hours a few weeks ago from cubbies to filtered barrels.

BZ
I get my oil in the cubbies too. But it takes me alot longer than that too clean up 100 gallons!!! Whats a goldenrod waterblock? And how do you crackle test? And how can you smell the difference?
2 Optima Red Tops

Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

filter

The goldenrod is a filter. The clear base with a screw in element. You can get different micron ratings or a waterblock element. When the filter encounters water a chemical inside adsorbs the water and clogs the filter stopping the flow. You can see it. It looks like worms or something coming out of the holes in the element. From what I have read since I installed it, there are filters with more filter area for the money, but this works fine since I have it after the 5 micron filter just for water block.

The crackle test is when you put a little bit of oil on a frying pan to heat it. You should be able to get it hot without any crackling sounds. The crackle is the water boiling out of the oil. This tells you if there is any entrained water.

When I get cubbies with water in them the oil smells rancid, sour, like vomit. I don't know how long this takes or if it is the heat down here, but if it smells at all, it goes right into the trash can. Every one that has smelled, I pull the cubbie out of the box and it has water in it. I have a can settling for two months to see what happens, but in my opinion it is not worth the trouble. I toss it and move on.

I just realized we hijacked this thread. Sorry TopTech. TonkaThunder if you need anything else, PM me or start a thread. I would like others input anyway and this will not be found under an ATF heading.

BZ
Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
How are you guys doing that have been running ATF for a while? I just heard about it last night from a guy at work and it sounds interesting. So now the research begins.
2008 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty Job 3, 8" 3rd Coast Suspension lift, 22x10.5 BMF Novakane 8's, 37x13.50 Toyo M/T's, Amp Research Steps, Weathertech Digital Floor mats, 47 gallon Transfer Flow Midship tank, Line-X

2003 American Ironhorse Slammer

1991 Nissan Hardbody 3/4 Drop

Previous SD
1999 7.3 Powerstroke, 8" lift, 38X15.50X20 Mickey T MTZ's
slammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.