Water Injection - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water Injection

Let's have a complete look at Water Injection. Who actually has it, how well do they like it, does it do what they expect? Problems? Problems solved by water injection. Pictures of your set up. Where did you get parts, how did you build it. Give us the goods. Time to quit just nibbling around the edges of this. If it works, we need it and need to know how to do it.

2000 F250 Superduty 180K and counting 4X4 4R100 Glow Shift gauge - EGT - Boost - Tranny Temp Fuel Pressure on an A pillar mount Diesel Site boots Transgo shift kit K & N Stage II air filter 5" exhaust RiffRaff AIH to boost mod CCV mod DP-Tuner with W85 settings Amsoil Bypass oil filter 6.0 tranny cooler, W80, Cooling Mist water injection.
F250Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here is a pretty good writeup on parts and a DIY system.

Do It Yourself Water Alcohol Methanol Injection

I ran this basic setup on a turbo diesel pulling tractor, only experience I ever had with Water/Meth injection and ran a 50/50 mix. Once I got to large a nozzle in it and it would literally run liquid down the sides of the stack after a run...and there was no lack of performance. Lucky I didn't hydro lock it.

Farm truck: 1989 F-250 XLT Lariat reg. cab
7.3 IDI, 4x4, 5 spd, manual hubs. WMO fueled

Massey Ferguson 1105 Farm Tractor WMO Fueled

1958 Caterpillar D6-9U Trying a little WMO in it......

diezelcrazees IDI website
diezelcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Jerry, I would suggest you just buy a kit & try it. It's going to cost you about 250 bucks for a stage 1 which is all you need. They are pretty straight forward to install. If it resloves your smoking problem it won't take very long for you to know & it will be the best money you ever spent. If it doesn't you can sell the kit & get at least half your money back.

There are a few guys running WI who run WVO. They are running a 2 tank system which doesn't normally produce smoke so it is hard to know how much WI is helping.

If it works for you then everyone on here will be doing it.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not the first-hand experience you are looking for, but a friend in NJ has something like 80k miles on a WI system in his Vegistroked 7.3 Excursion. He was running big (smokey ) split-shot injectors for most of that. Never had any issues and recently pulled injectors for an 'upgrade'. The old sticks looked good. I was always worried about his set-up because I've always felt like his VO system ('stock' V3 system) did not heat the oil enough at 130* pre-heads in summer and under 100* in coooold weather.

I'll try to send him a link to this thread and get him to post his experience first-hand...

I've still not bothered with WI simply because after tearing down 2 engines with over 100k on SVO - there was NO EVIDENCE of 'alt fuels' in the combustion chambers...

2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges on pillar - EGT, Boost, Fuel Press., HPO Press. - No Muffler, AIH delete, SB Con OFE, AC code injctrs (160cc), T4/S366 turbo. Vegistroke-inspired WVO system w/180,000 trouble-free miles! BTS tunes, 203 t-stat w/billet housing, '07 grill/lites and big, bad front bumper!

2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited - BTS trans and tunes, AIS, Frybrid/V3 SVO conversion 120k VO miles - wrecked 4/13, RIP...

That's 300k miles on SVO between them!

veggiegarage.com autorized installer
airfooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi all, airfooter asked me to get in on this.

Here is my water background-

2000 Excursion 250k on truck
135k on wvo with Vegistroke V3- (What a excellent system!)
Been spraying water for about 80k
Water system is a Cooling Mist CMGS, injecting based on boost and egt- 2 maps. Single nozzle is about 250cc/m

I run straight hose water except for winter when I add just enough wwf to keep it from freezing.

I pulled my HyperMax splits after about 90k of wvo use and they looked normal, no unusual buildup on the nozzel, they were used injectors when I got them also-(see pic). I started running water because of the big a$$ nozzles on the HyperMax sticks and was worried about coking from the constant haze I had when on wvo. I probably ran 60k between stock injectors and the Max's before ever starting the water injection.

I can spray 7 gallons in 350 miles or less if towing the camper, it helps keep the egts down and should keep the engine clean.

I now run single shots that burn much cleaner but will continue to spray the water. I have never noticed any mileage increase or a power bump but I use very little meth.

Has the water saved my engine? Got me, I think it can help keep things clean over many many thousands of miles.
Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Water Injection-photo-8-.jpg  

Last edited by 2000XLifted; 09-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.
2000XLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well, this is a start. The nozzle is very clean, looks good. I would really like for someone running WMO and WI to chime in. This looks like it could really work. I'm thinking I need to pull my sticks when they are coked up just to take pics and post so every one could see. Then if I ran WI and it cleaned up that would make a great set of pics to help everyone. With winter coming and me in need of projects, maybe this is it. I should be cheaper and easier than a two tank setup although, I think I'm going there anyway.

Good start, lets keep it going.

2000 F250 Superduty 180K and counting 4X4 4R100 Glow Shift gauge - EGT - Boost - Tranny Temp Fuel Pressure on an A pillar mount Diesel Site boots Transgo shift kit K & N Stage II air filter 5" exhaust RiffRaff AIH to boost mod CCV mod DP-Tuner with W85 settings Amsoil Bypass oil filter 6.0 tranny cooler, W80, Cooling Mist water injection.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250Truckin View Post
Well, this is a start. The nozzle is very clean, looks good. I would really like for someone running WMO and WI to chime in. This looks like it could really work. I'm thinking I need to pull my sticks when they are coked up just to take pics and post so every one could see. Then if I ran WI and it cleaned up that would make a great set of pics to help everyone. With winter coming and me in need of projects, maybe this is it. I should be cheaper and easier than a two tank setup although, I think I'm going there anyway.

Good start, lets keep it going.
F250;
It was new, not anymore. My 2012 3500 Ram now has 25K got it last Oct, it is been running on WMO with 70CC water injection and HOD. This is fully deleted engine with a XRT Pro set on hot, many with the same set up would blow black smoke on D2. The WI is 100 psi, running full time. I just picked a new project to run on WMO (1983 300D benz). I'll take a moment this week end and take photo of the WI in the Ram. It is a simple set up:

6 gal tank from USPlastic (28.00)
70CC or 1 gph nozzle (15.00)
100 PSI pump from Nothern tools (59.99 amozon)
I elected to use HDPE tubing from Loews and used barb fittings so I can change the configuration if needed. It is full time after idle, I use boost pressure switch to activate the system.

Pump is mounted along the frame under the cab, tank is mounted in the toolbox. The AFE intake installed had pre-drilled holes to accept WI nozzle. If you are running WMO or WVO, running WI is a must. to make that even a sweat deal, add a HOD.
koya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Koya, I am interested in the WI system you made. Pics man, where are the pics!!

2002 Ford F350 PSD Crew Cab Limited 4x4, 7800 miles on mostly w85.
evo45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here's several photos of my WI, my apologies for not including any description with them, but you guys are smarter than I you'll figure it out. The photo with two brash fittings is the AFE intake elbow. The top fitting is for my HOD, the one on the side is the 70cc nozzle (1 gph).

The pump is mounted between the skid plate of the transfer case and the cab, I fabricated a "L" bracket and a platform out of SS. Since I use a lot of SS for the HOD, I thought I would use it. The tank mounted in the toolbox, and the outlet under the tolbox. All of the tubing is from Loews, (1/2") HDPE. The white tube, I use to have a boost pressure switch to control it. I decided to add a on and off switch instead, it is running full time unless I am in a stop and go traffice. hence the switch, the reservoir you can get from USPlastice for 25.00 plus shipping. DO NOT PAY 100.00 PLUS FROM THOSE OVER PRICED SET UP.

The nozzle out if IN makes them, I'll get the info and post. I like these model because it treads in like a fitting.

Last edited by koya; 11-06-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the pics, I am interested in making a wi kit for the 2 trucks I have running on WMO.

Can you post a pic of your HOD cell. I bought all of the material to make one and never did anything with it. How are you powering it?

Might need to start a new post for that one since it isn't related to wi.

Thanks

2002 Ford F350 PSD Crew Cab Limited 4x4, 7800 miles on mostly w85.
evo45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Great stuff. I have to plead ignorance. What is an HOD? I have some WMO to pick up and a little other to do and then I'm thinking I will get started on this. Stand by to lead the ignorant.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
From what I've read so far on WI I don't know if it would be worth having on a non turbo 7.3 IDI. I run W80 for fuel 95% of the time, and only pull a 5'er or a car trailer 1-2x a month. It sounds very intriguing, and I already have all the parts but a pump.
I think I'm also going to try a hydrogen HHO/HOD setup on my truck.
If you want it done right, do it yourself
jga2z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hey jga2Z - we have had a number of NA diesels use a modified setup to use our injection system. They report good results with some increased power and lower EGTs, just not the same ease of use or as large increases as turbocharged.
SnowPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250Truckin View Post
Great stuff. I have to plead ignorance. What is an HOD? I have some WMO to pick up and a little other to do and then I'm thinking I will get started on this. Stand by to lead the ignorant.
F250,

HOD= Hydrogen on Demand, it is because of these system (the unit I use are my design) that I am experiecing great result with my trucks and cars running WMO(2012 00ram 3500, 1984 300D and 1985 300SD. The hydrogen acts a cathalyst during combustion which promotes complete burn during combustion and assist in removing carbon build up.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
non turbo 7.3 IDI. I run W80 for fuel 95% of the time,
hey, how clean is your exhaust (unloaded; idle and on road)? i have a theory that a turbo aids in combustion (less smoke), probably less than hot fuel would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.