Water Injection - Page 5 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #61 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great chart airfooter.

2000 F250 Superduty 180K and counting 4X4 4R100 Glow Shift gauge - EGT - Boost - Tranny Temp Fuel Pressure on an A pillar mount Diesel Site boots Transgo shift kit K & N Stage II air filter 5" exhaust RiffRaff AIH to boost mod CCV mod DP-Tuner with W85 settings Amsoil Bypass oil filter 6.0 tranny cooler, W80, Cooling Mist water injection.
F250Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #62 (permalink)

What is the difference between wood alcohol and methanol? The dictionary says they are the same, but I have heard somewhere recently not to use wood alcohol. Why not? What is the difference? Methanol doesn't seem that easy to find but wood alcohol is everywhere.

2000 F250 Superduty 180K and counting 4X4 4R100 Glow Shift gauge - EGT - Boost - Tranny Temp Fuel Pressure on an A pillar mount Diesel Site boots Transgo shift kit K & N Stage II air filter 5" exhaust RiffRaff AIH to boost mod CCV mod DP-Tuner with W85 settings Amsoil Bypass oil filter 6.0 tranny cooler, W80, Cooling Mist water injection.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #63 (permalink)

Well, the project is started. I pulled the CAC tube today and drilled and taped the holes for the injectors. I plugged them until I'm ready to put the jets in and hook it up. Tomorrow will be wiring.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #64 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Jerry,

Years ago, methanol came from wood. Some still call it wood alcohol. Today though, it all comes from natural gas regardless of what you call it.

Please keep us posted on your results!
2002 F-250 Lariat, PSD, CC, short bed, 3.73, auto tranny, Line-X bed liner, AFE Filter, HX crossover, intake heater delete, Evans NGC+, Dieselsite 203 thermostat, coolant filter, Amsoil by-pass filter, Schaeffer's synthetic blend tranny fluid, Bob Riley's tranny filter, Velvet Ride shackles, Rancho 9000 shocks with in-cab adjustment, 60 gallon aux tank for burning heated WVO, burning veggie since fall of '04.
ToddT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #65 (permalink)

Get it together yet?? 300+ miles on mine so far with absolutely zero smoke. Will keep updating.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #66 (permalink)

I am working on a box to ride in the bed that will have the bottle, pump and solenoids in it. I'm hoping to make it so that you can open the lid to add fluid and open one side to inspect - repair - alter the goodies inside. Should get to the install part today. Having a terrible time getting the right tubing T to fit the MAF tube. Should go a lot faster now. I'm also looking for a source for methanol. I have to have something to get through the winter. Antifreeze might not be the answer.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250Truckin View Post
I am working on a box to ride in the bed that will have the bottle, pump and solenoids in it. I'm hoping to make it so that you can open the lid to add fluid and open one side to inspect - repair - alter the goodies inside. Should get to the install part today. Having a terrible time getting the right tubing T to fit the MAF tube. Should go a lot faster now. I'm also looking for a source for methanol. I have to have something to get through the winter. Antifreeze might not be the answer.
Use windshield washer fluid in the winter.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #68 (permalink)

The stuff I bought is rated at -25. When I put a hydrometer on it, measured +17. I need more than that. I'm going to start with the windshield washer fluid, but graduate when I find something better.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #69 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Around here, we can get methanol at a couple of the local race tracks. NAPA can also get it. Reach out to any bio-d makers in your area and see where they get it from. We were buying ours (for bio-d) from a place that makes fuel for RC cars/planes in SC. I still have ~250gals here if ya wanna stop by!

I'd still be surprised if the WW fluid froze at that temp. Have you tried putting some in the freezer? It should be 0*F (or lower).

2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges on pillar - EGT, Boost, Fuel Press., HPO Press. - No Muffler, AIH delete, SB Con OFE, AC code injctrs (160cc), T4/S366 turbo. Vegistroke-inspired WVO system w/180,000 trouble-free miles! BTS tunes, 203 t-stat w/billet housing, '07 grill/lites and big, bad front bumper!

2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited - BTS trans and tunes, AIS, Frybrid/V3 SVO conversion 120k VO miles - wrecked 4/13, RIP...

That's 300k miles on SVO between them!

veggiegarage.com autorized installer
airfooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #70 (permalink)

The ag equip dealers have methanol. They use it for antifreeze.
A mercedes window washer tank has a coolant heated coil in it. It's 3/8" line , that with a hoh might work.

92 Mercedes greasecar wvo kit,autometer gauges.
JR3342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #71 (permalink)

Don't tempt me. I'm coming to Hilton Head for the month of January. I'm planning on making a better effort at finding some tomorrow.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #72 (permalink)

Jerry perhaps I missed it but what are you using for a WI tank??
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #73 (permalink)

Methanol is the fuel used in most Model airplanes. In the USA methanol is available in small quantities as HEET brand fuel line antifreeze (Yellow bottle)
Found that on a bio diesel site

Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #74 (permalink)

Found this too.
+20 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 7% methanol.

0 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 23% methanol.

-10 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 28% methanol.

-20 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 35% methanol.

-25 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 38% methanol.

-50 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 62% methanol.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #75 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Also, 50% methanol/water is 'non-flammable'. Be VERY careful with pure methanol - not only is it very flammable, it burns with a clear flame and is difficult to see. When I brought this stuff home the first time, I demonstrated this to the kids and gave them carte blanche permission to blast anyone approaching the drums of methanol while smoking with the garden hose!!

One more thing, it is highly toxic and inhalation or absorption through the skin can cause blindness and other serious health problems.

2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges on pillar - EGT, Boost, Fuel Press., HPO Press. - No Muffler, AIH delete, SB Con OFE, AC code injctrs (160cc), T4/S366 turbo. Vegistroke-inspired WVO system w/180,000 trouble-free miles! BTS tunes, 203 t-stat w/billet housing, '07 grill/lites and big, bad front bumper!

2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited - BTS trans and tunes, AIS, Frybrid/V3 SVO conversion 120k VO miles - wrecked 4/13, RIP...

That's 300k miles on SVO between them!

veggiegarage.com autorized installer
airfooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.