water in my W85 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
water in my W85

i work really hard at separating the water from the oil. i never take from the bottom and i most likely discard good oil trying to be safe. until i can get a centrifuge i have some questions

with W85 does ethanol free gas really make a better product?

can ethanol become water like in holding?

i do my best but its not working enough. I love running W85. who can beat 47 cents a gallon. i am grateful for your input on this matter and my the Lord bless you and your vehicles.

Rev Jonathan Lunsford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

An upflow system helps a lot in eliminating water and antifreeze from oil. I use if for every batch I run. It is cheap, simple, effective and costs nothing to run. There are a number of threads that contain information about it here. All you need is a couple of good quality 55 gallon drums, a length of 2" auto exhaust pipe, some valves and a little welding and you are in business. Get a short lenght of 2" pipe, cut it in half. Measure the exhaust pipe so that it comes down to about 8" above the bottom of the lower barrel, cut it there and insert it in one half of the 2" pipe. Weld on the cut end so the threads are not damaged on the other end. Weld the two halves of 2" pipe back together where you cut it. Screw the pipe into the lower barrel so that the exhaust is above the bottom. Cut the second barrel in half or maybe a little longer than that for your top barrel. Screw it onto the stub of 2" pipe. Make sure that the 3/4 bung is securly closed on the top barrel. Plumb the bottom 3/4" bung so that you have a valve to control the flow and plumb it into the mixing barrel you are going to use. I put a Banjo strainer between my barrels to pick up any solids that might tag along on the flow. Crack the valve so pressure can release on the lower barrel, then fill both barrels until you get flow. Close the bottom barrel and complete the fill of the top barrel. When you are filled, cover the open top of the upper barrel. Crack the valve so you get a very slow flow (two days to fill your mixing barrel to the right amount). Water, solids, really heavy petroleum products and antifreeze gets left behind in the bottom barrel and can be drained off the bottom. Your going to need a valve down there and that is easy to do with a bulkhead fitting. Every batch of fuel I make goes through an upflow and I do not have problems with water.

Most of the people on this forum use gas with ethanol to make their W85. I have ethanol free gas available in my area so I use it. I don't think it is an issue if you keep making fresh fuel as you use it and don't let large batches sit for a long period of time.

2000 F250 Superduty 180K and counting 4X4 4R100 Glow Shift gauge - EGT - Boost - Tranny Temp Fuel Pressure on an A pillar mount Diesel Site boots Transgo shift kit K & N Stage II air filter 5" exhaust RiffRaff AIH to boost mod CCV mod DP-Tuner with W85 settings Amsoil Bypass oil filter 6.0 tranny cooler, W80, Cooling Mist water injection.

Last edited by F250Truckin; 01-06-2013 at 05:02 AM.
F250Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

How much water? I use IBCs, let the oil settle for at least a week, and drain each evening. Then 'fuge.

I've been using my wmo/k1 mix for 6 months without any fuel or filter problems. RUG makes my engine smoke like a nasty bbq grill.

'Fuging free WMO fuel with a WVO Design Extreme unit
Blind DrIver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I use the up flow system just as Jerry described. In hindsight I guess I would use 30 gallon drums instead of 55. I have yet use a batch out of it besause I have not gathered enough oil yet. I have access to a bunch of 30gallon drums though but probably will not change it over.

Revjon, I thought you had the system with the bags that removes water.

2002 7.3 PSD
MNBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have the blue grass system. but the lid came off and the bags got soaked and sit in water for days. I heard you can dry then out but I am not sure. and its enough to have to drain my filter morethan once in two weeks.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjon View Post
I have the blue grass system. but the lid came off and the bags got soaked and sit in water for days. I heard you can dry then out but I am not sure. and its enough to have to drain my filter morethan once in two weeks.
It looks as if the "pods" need to be replaced after they have absorbed the stuff they do. Replacement looks spendy according to the website... Bluegrass Fuel Systems, LLC - The FP Filtration Media

They list a phone number. Call them and ask them about drying out the water as I would think water would evaporate out.

Do you let your oil settle for a good week or so?

Blind Driver, what is IBC's?

2002 7.3 PSD
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBen View Post
It looks as if the "pods" need to be replaced after they have absorbed the stuff they do. Replacement looks spendy according to the website... Bluegrass Fuel Systems, LLC - The FP Filtration Media

They list a phone number. Call them and ask them about drying out the water as I would think water would evaporate out.

Do you let your oil settle for a good week or so?

Blind Driver, what is IBC's?
International Bulk container. Big caged plastic tote in a wire cage on a pallet.
They work decent, but I'm trying to get a 500 gallon propane tank to sit upright. It will allow the water to drain out much better.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind DrIver View Post
International Bulk container. Big caged plastic tote in a wire cage on a pallet.
They work decent, but I'm trying to get a 500 gallon propane tank to sit upright. It will allow the water to drain out much better.
WOW, I have a 500 gallon LP tank. I cannot imagine it upright, well, I can I guess. When it is done, paint it up real cool looking.

We have IBC's all over at work.

2002 7.3 PSD
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Good thing about an LP tank or other pressure tank is that they can be pressurized at very low pressure (3-4 psi) for a very slow really conrolled upflow system that really works for eliminating water and solids in WMO.

2000 F250 Superduty 180K and counting 4X4 4R100 Glow Shift gauge - EGT - Boost - Tranny Temp Fuel Pressure on an A pillar mount Diesel Site boots Transgo shift kit K & N Stage II air filter 5" exhaust RiffRaff AIH to boost mod CCV mod DP-Tuner with W85 settings Amsoil Bypass oil filter 6.0 tranny cooler, W80, Cooling Mist water injection.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've been using my wmo/k1 mix for 6 months without any fuel or filter problems. RUG makes my engine smoke like a nasty bbq grill.[/QUOTE]

what ratio of k1 & wmo do you use? and how long do you allow it to sit? Plus does it break the viscosity down like gas does? K1 is more expensive than gas but it would equal about 50 cents a gallon so who really.cares.

I allow my oil to sit for a week at least.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250Truckin View Post
Good thing about an LP tank or other pressure tank is that they can be pressurized at very low pressure (3-4 psi) for a very slow really conrolled upflow system that really works for eliminating water and solids in WMO.
That's how I want to control the flow into my fuge

Once I install a good regulator, I can control the flow of oil.

I have 4 IBCs on my pallet racks with feed my 'fuge with gravity. It's a good system, but my fuge will almost be on the floor trying to get the oil from a propane tank.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Happy New Year everyone. Just for additional input, I cold upflow. I generally
make 55 gal batches. Of the 55 gal, 15 is kero, 4 is rug and the rest is wmo. This has been working well for me. Very little smoke. Being and OBS, I have the use of two tanks and will shut down at night on D2. I can get kero here in Western NY for 4.09/gal and rug is 3.65/gal. So my price of about 1.36 for homemade is still better than 4.25 for D2. I was considerably more smokey when only using 10 gal of kero per 55 gal batch. My oil sits a week or two before I start the procces. Sorry if I got off topic. I sometimes ramble on.
97 F250, 4x4, 7.3 PSD, ECLB, 5 spd, 3:55, 6637, Running on WMO 75/12.5/12.5.
mudbrother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

That's pretty good rambling and we like to hear it.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

i am done with w85 for now. i started this thread because my truck was running rough at idle. the only thing that i can think of was that i either allowed water into the oil during the mixing process or that the enthonl was not mixing with the wmo right and causing problems. my desire to have a diesel free january will not happen this year.

what i did to fix it was remove all the fuel and allow to sit over night. i only poured the top half of the jugs that i siphoned the fuel into. then added a little diesel and all was good. it ran perfect.

so i make another batch of W85. this time with ethonl free gas. no joy. same problem. i think that i need to back up and punt. go back to the 33% d-2 67% wmo until i can figure out why my truck doesn't like the W85. that mixed worked great for 6 months. and its only about 1.25 a gallon

thanks for all your help. be blessed and pray for me and my family as we welcome in baby #4 very soon.

jonathan Lunsford
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Have you hotplate tested the oil?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.