Your Biodiesel production cost per gallon? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your Biodiesel production cost per gallon?

Please share your cost per gallon wth us...
Lye/KOH + methanol Cost =?
Electric est = ?
Water Est = ?
Transportation cost = ?
WVO Cost = ?
Other cost = ?
Thanks,

Here is mine

Lye/KOH + methanol Cost = .46
Electric est = .06
Water Est = .02
Transportation cost = 0
WVO Cost = 0
Other cost = 0
That comes to .57 per gallon

Rick H...
HIS
96 F250 4x4 auto super cab.
TS 4 Pos Chip, addaLeaf, Boss 8'-6" plow, , DIY AIC, Tymar DP, gutted EBPV, JS IDM, Tymar Intake, 4" Open exhaust, trio a-pillar gauges + 6 overhead gauges. TruCool 4590 Tran Cooler. On board air with dual horns. 4 corner strobes. AC mod with Twist, ISSPro Turbo Temp Monitor, Power Pedel mod, turbo ped mod, Warn Lock-outs, Swamps 175/173 99 IC & GTS Pipe Kit,Snow Performance Water/Meth inj (NOT hooked up!), chicken to use it!
Garmin GPS,Toughbook Laptop, All Mode Ham Radio.
HERS
97 F250 CC SWB 100% stock and going to stay that way! I lied, Shimmed, Tymar Intake. I lied again, kat dead! More lies.. 3" DP, Gutted EBPV, Turbo Pedistal Mod. Dyno'd 263 hp
[color:"RED"] RDRCM#20 [/color]
RickHredf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Your Biodiesel production cost per gallon?

Lye/KOH + methanol Cost = .285(this is with using 15% methanol and the lye that i use is at no cost to me, hence why my production cost is so low. Also the electricity and such are covered by the parents and the water is well water, so very little money for that)
Electric est = .06
Water Est = .02
Transportation cost = 0
WVO Cost = 0
Other cost = 0
That comes to .365 ~ .37 per gallon

I figured though if i did go with how everyone else does and stuff like what I get isn't paid for, .60 is a very fair price. I've also been trying to look into now ways in order to seperate when i get a chance, but havent had a lot of time lately. Also, I have spoke with many of the professors here in the ag and bio engineering departments on what they are doing. But as for myself, I'm an aeronautical engineering major so i just do this stuff on the side when i get time. The biggest thing that I have found with my oil is the fact that 22% is not neccessary for me. I've had great results with where I am at on the meth. One more thing i will be attempting on my batch tonite is to recylce the old glycerin to see if i can decrease my numbers even further. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
1995 F250 Xcab 5spd 4x4. TYMAR, 5" Mitre Cut STACKS, Skyjacker lift, 35" Mud terrains, powered by Home made Bio Diesel, Cobalt C2 gauges, DIY INJECTORS by www.DIY-Injectors.com , 6 position chip by Fat Kid Performance Diesel(sn: house22), intercooler on the way within the next few weeks...
Nitro454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok so zero cost on the Lye makes the cost per gallon understandable.
Consider figuring in the water and electric as someone has to pay for it!
I had been using 22% methanol, guess if I had time I would run some test batches and see just "How Low I Can Go". I know methanol is going to be going up so that might motivate me to do the testing.
Anyone else got some numbers to post?
Rick H...
HIS
TS 4 Pos Chip, addaLeaf, Boss 8'-6" plow, , DIY AIC, Tymar DP, gutted EBPV, JS IDM, Tymar Intake, 4" Open exhaust, trio a-pillar gauges + 6 overhead gauges. TruCool 4590 Tran Cooler. On board air with dual horns. 4 corner strobes. AC mod with Twist, ISSPro Turbo Temp Monitor, Power Pedel mod, turbo ped mod, Warn Lock-outs, Swamps 175/173 99 IC & GTS Pipe Kit,Snow Performance Water/Meth inj (NOT hooked up!), chicken to use it!
HERS
97 F250 CC SWB 100% stock and going to stay that way! I lied, Shimmed, Tymar Intake. I lied again, kat dead! More lies.. 3" DP, Gutted EBPV, Turbo Pedistal Mod. Dyno'd 263 hp
Old 04-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is awesome, I just gotta ask though guys, how much does it cost to get set up to brew your own? I've heard 10k from some, but I'm sure that is buying a complete system, I know you can make one with water heaters and some things.

1997 PSD 3/4 ton 4x4 SC LWB SRW; 5 spd; 3:55; K&N open element/homemade intake; gutted EBPV piston, plugged hole; 3 in. downpipe; SCMT 1705; shimmed to 70 psi; 120,000; TTB DiPricol 0-60 white face boost gauge, DiPricol 0-1600 white face pyrometer, SOLD in between gauges for now; A-Pillar mount for now. DIY 160cc Injectors.DIY IDM mod. ValAir O-FE w/3400# plate; Front and rear tank filler neck mods

My Pics

Truck Pics -Updated-
johndeerebones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

New water heater 190 bucks (50 gallon size makes about a 35 gallon batch).
Pump 50 bucks fittings well you get the picture.
Good scrounger, under 200 bucks!
Some other things needed like scale and some testing equipment but still all thats way under 100 bucks.
I'll bet if you use both tanks of fuel per week, you cold pay for what ever you build in 2 weeks time.
Rick H...
HIS
HERS
Old 04-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
Please share your cost per gallon wth us...
Ok. I buy frm a chemical company with a business license. I sure don't know how you guys are getting such a low price...but here is mine. I pay 194.00 for 55 gallons of methanol ($2.56 a gal) AND 50 pounds of KOH at $ 1.07 a pound. Maybe my math sucks or the spreadsheet I'm using is wrong but this is how it seems to work out per gallon of biod. My base for KOH is 7.7 (90 percent pure) Grams and my oil tritrates at 1.25. I use 20 % Methanol. According to my spreadsheet (well somebody's on the web?)for a 30 gallon batch

KOH == $ 2.67
methanol Cost = $ 15.36
Electric est = $2.00
Water Est = ? $1.00
Transportation cost = $ 2.00

WVO Cost = ?0
total for aprox 29 gallons of output== 79.4 cents a gallon ($23,93 / 29 gallons).
I probably am high on my transportation, but I'm guessing..to include picking up the methanol/KOH from the chem factory & driving to pickup oil. Also guessing (high?) on elect I hope. I also figure a gallon wasted due to washing/draining. Hope this helps ya'll.
David
Thanks,

Here is mine

Lye/KOH + methanol Cost = .46
Electric est = .06
Water Est = .02
Transportation cost = 0
WVO Cost = 0
Other cost = 0
That comes to .57 per gallon

Rick H...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sold: 74 F?? 86 F250, 2001 7.3, 2008 6.4, 2011 F350 FX4 all the way
dssamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

My batches are 55 gallons of oil, using 12 gallons of methanol. From this I usually get 45-50 gallons of finished biodiesel.

After the reaction has settled I transfer 50 gallons to the wash tank/dry tank after taking off the 17 gallons or so of the "glycerin".

Each wash uses 50/50 water/biodiesel and lasts from 2-12 hours, the first one is a mist. This usually takes about 300gallons per batch over 5-7 washes to achieve the neutral and clear water. I would like to know how you only use 20gallons. By the way, we usually are washing 2 batches at a time so we can stagger them and recycle the water from the cleaner batch in the wash cycle.

That being said, here is how I calculated the breakdown for the price:

$31.20, for 12 gallons of Methanol @ $2.60/gal
$5.63, for KOH (averages 3100g/55gal, about 8 batches per 55 pound bag)
$4 per batch for filters*
$3 per batch for propane (we use a burner to heat the oil instead of water heater elements)
$4 per batch for electricity (during the wash and dry cycles the biodiesel is kept at 90F for optimum efficiency)
$2.63 per batch for biocide (3oz, for shelf life of 6 months)
$2.86 per batch for 300 gallons of wash water**
$1.00 per batch for misc (paper towels, titration supplies, ...etc.)
---------------------------
$54.32 for 45-50 gallons of biodiesel, $1.09 - $1.21

* filters: 200 micron -> 30 micron -> 15 micron (water block) -> 10 micron -> 6 micron
** The city charges $9.54/1000gal, for water and sewer, sewer is not optional, they assume sewer if you use the water.

If someone can help me improve the process to save money I would welcome your input.

One of the things I have found to GREATLY save time in the process is purchasing a manly air pump, not an aquarium pump, but a hydroponics pump, mine is 80 watt @4.2 PSI. The more bubbles, without making an emulsion is the best, also, from my experience, the more water the better too. These decrease the time involved, not necessarily the cost of the process.

Updates: I have found a source for methanol locally for $1.95/gal so that should lower my costs some, and I'm also looking into methanol recovery to further lower my cost.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Im gonna check into this, between me and all my diesel driving frieds and family I could definately pay for the system in no time.

As for a cheap methanol source...If you know any tire shop guys that fluid tractor tire, may talk to them about buying some extra and you paying of course, they use quite a bit and may get a qauntity discount.

1997 PSD 3/4 ton 4x4 SC LWB SRW; 5 spd; 3:55; K&N open element/homemade intake; gutted EBPV piston, plugged hole; 3 in. downpipe; SCMT 1705; shimmed to 70 psi; 120,000; TTB DiPricol 0-60 white face boost gauge, DiPricol 0-1600 white face pyrometer, SOLD in between gauges for now; A-Pillar mount for now. DIY 160cc Injectors.DIY IDM mod. ValAir O-FE w/3400# plate; Front and rear tank filler neck mods

My Pics

Truck Pics -Updated-
johndeerebones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

$.85 per gallon.
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Spencnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

JDB,
Just a note...
You can not sell it as you have to be a registered fuel or fuel blender producer. Technicallity. You can sell barrels.
You can make 400 gallons per quarter for personal use.
Thems the rules!
But do not let that stop you!
Just do it, you will get hook!
Then making black smoke dont hurt your wallet!
Rick H...
HIS
HERS
Old 04-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

You may be able to sell it as bio heating fuel.
89 F350 4x4 CC ,97 5.9 Cummins, Fuel plate ground to a 100 profile,boost set to 30 lbs 5spd 31/2 exh no mufler. boost&pyro gauge.2500 lb frame mount overloads.power stroke intercooler,Valaire clutch.pulling 33ft 5th whl, 2000 Tahoe transporter.Hauling Banshees one with a long rod motor and my own porting,T-3s single carb the other stock port with pipes.
350 long rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2006, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

rick, how good is your wvo? the kind i get has no water at all in it and is a nice clear honey color. also with the using less methanol, i am also using a flat rate of 3.75 g/L lye along with a prewash. All of these combined and I am gettin perfect bactches that wash easily with no soap and are getting a full reaction. might want to do some testing as well seeing as how the price of everything seems to be exponentially increasing nowadays.
1995 F250 Xcab 5spd 4x4. TYMAR, 5" Mitre Cut STACKS, Skyjacker lift, 35" Mud terrains, powered by Home made Bio Diesel, Cobalt C2 gauges, DIY INJECTORS by www.DIY-Injectors.com , 6 position chip by Fat Kid Performance Diesel(sn: house22), intercooler on the way within the next few weeks...
Nitro454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

.5 titration no water. I consider it very good oil.
I do plan on doing some adjusting on the methanol amounts, but so far, 22% has consitantly produced excellent fuel.
Rick H...
HIS
HERS
Old 04-16-2006, 11:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

You call that just good oil?!?!?![img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

That's fantastic, your supplier must just put the fresh oil in the fryer and then take it right out[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Spencnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have oil under .5 all the time. .3 and .2 most of the time.
I guess thats why my wife's funnel cakes and elephant ears are so good! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
dkenna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.