03 6.0 Low Pressure Oil Pump - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 Low Pressure Oil Pump

Pretty sure mine has gone out.I am gonna order the gear kit to rebuild it. Just wondering how big of a pain in the butt is it to change this and does it require any special tools? I turn the engine over and hold down the button in the filter housing and no oil at all comes into it.Its been suggested that this is the no crank problem.

I did re check the filter housing while cranking and after about 10 seconds the housing was only about and 1/8 th full and that happened all of a sudden at the end.

Last edited by Restoration; 09-28-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Restoration is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

You are correct in that you have to have Low Pressure oil before you can high High Pressure Oil. No High Pressure for the injectors, no start.

As for how hard it is to get to, not sure. I cannot remember if the front plate has to come off or not. Others will advise...
knightgang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightgang View Post
You are correct in that you have to have Low Pressure oil before you can high High Pressure Oil. No High Pressure for the injectors, no start.

As for how hard it is to get to, not sure. I cannot remember if the front plate has to come off or not. Others will advise...
Front cover does need to come off.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Front cover does need to come off.
In that case, it is going to be a tedious job, the entire front end of the engine and all accessories in front of it need to come out. Time consuming.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is there a pressure gauge I could screw into the allen head hole to check the pressure before I tear all this apart and what should the pressure be?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

You shoudl be able to pick up an inexpensive maunual oil pressure gauge from an auto parts store and adapt it to the hole size for a pressure test.

You can have LP oil and have a failure in the HPOP system (could be as simple as an o-ring).
Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah thats what Ive read up on. I'm in process of tearing down the LPOP to check the gears etc. With it not getting oil to the filter canister I'm gonna start there,plus its the cheapest fix if its the gears.Hope I'm right,I'm just throwing stuff at it to check it.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also be sure to check the front cover for damage. I have seen a few where the front covers were scored from the pump gears.

Call us at 1-800-328-9552, be sure to mention this website when calling.
OR check out our website http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Check out Ford's website as well!
http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

I'll meet or beat anyone's price on Ford OEM parts
TousleyParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got the gears out and they seem to look fine.The o ring for the gear cover looks pretty flat but seemed to be tight against the case.There was some oil that looked burnt on the crankshaft end and was inside the harmonic balancer. Theres a lot of oil on the main case but that could have come from the HPOP leak I had but was fixed. Is the main pump just the gears on the crankshaft or is it inside the front cover?
Also can I put the new gears I have back in and the cover and then connect the batteries and spin it over to see if I have oil in the canister without hurting anything? Thanks guys

I did go recheck that front gear cover.There seems to me some minor scarring on that cover but its not bad to me.Shoould/could this be a problem and need replaced?

Last edited by Restoration; 09-30-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the same problem and also have scorring on the inside of my cover, what was the verdict change it out or what?
StrokedMadness06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

You can remove the oil pressure sending unit and read your oil pressure.Also do not reuse the balancer bolts. The bolts are TTY.
lenzhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.