03 6.0 rough idle, low compression, & tick noise - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 rough idle, low compression, & tick noise

need help! i have a 2003 f-250 6.0 that ran fine when i went to work and when i got off i went to start the truck and it ran rough almost like it was missing and there is a ticking noise to it but its not an exhaust leak. we took it home and did a voltage test on the ficm it had 48 volts with key on but when you crank it over it drops to 27 volts. it also threw a code for contribution/balance fault on cylinder six. i put a new ficm on it and a ford diesel tech said to put an injector in it so i did all that and had the truck hauled to the dealership to have the ficm flashed. when i went to get the truck they told me i needed a new motor because i hydro locked my motor and bent a connecting rod and was down 10% for compression in cylinder 6 & 8. i have the egr delete in it other than that its all stock. i didnt think it could hydro lock if it has the delete in? and the tick noise doesnt seem loud enough to be a bent connecting rod. i've drove the truck for 8000 miles with the egr delete on and the egr cooler wasnt clogged when i took it off. im taking it to another dealership to get looked at because i really doubt i need a new motor at 110,000 miles.
cooper6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Had a #6 injector put in mine a few years back the dealership botched it and either dropped something in the cylinder or the new injector blew its guts into the cylinder. I ended up with the same ticking and loss of power and even some smoke, 2000 miles later I was having the engine rebuilt, something was in the cylinder and it passed through the valve screwing its seal to the head up, destroyed my turbo and I had bad scaring on the cylinder wall.

Between the two dealerships I did an oil change and noticed a very strong fuel smell in my oil, this tipped me off that something wasn't right.
Attachment 27401
I know this information isn't very helpful but I felt you should be aware of another possibility and always scope your cylinders when change injectors, you never know what you'll find.
Radiator, thermostat, heater valve, degas cap, EGR cooler; now deleted, Head gaskets, oil cooler, STC, stand pipes, dummy plugs, Upfitter switch, high idle mod. Motorcraft max batteries, Harley Davidson windshield x's 2, Scangauge II
RECON Big Rig Ice running board lights, interior LED light conversion, smoke LED tail lights, third brake light, mirror lights, fire & ice tailgate strip. ARP studs, Garrett powermax turbo, Metal CAC tube w/cool it thermo tec aluminized coating, Turbo oil supply and drain, Blue spring, Fuel/water separator drain plug, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65R20 & Gatorback belt, Drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramic pads. IPR Generation 2 EGR & up pipe delete. IPR High flow coolant filtration system. JVC KW-NT700, Fumoto; oil drain, block drain x's 2, CCV drain, Viper 5904 remote start & security, Rotella ELC conversion, CAT delete, tailgate assist, MBRP 5" turbo back SS, PHP Gryphon/Eco, Atlas 40,80,Herc, Edge CTS juice w/attitude, harpoon mod.

Last edited by 05_HARLEY_F250; 06-17-2014 at 06:27 PM.
05_HARLEY_F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.