03 6.0 runs then dies no codes - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 runs then dies no codes

2003 f250 super duty, 4x4, with 116,000 miles. I have had it since 30k, and last spring they rebuilt it from the block up under warranty, seems all the trips in they never got around to fixing the recall on the cooling system and it bit them in the rear. So now its out of warranty.

35 days ago fillled up on on as a cold front came in, dropped from the 70's to the 20's. It ran fine on the 15 mile trip home but had no power on the way back to town that same night. The next morning it made it to the end of the street and died, it would start but just barely, I limped it home the 2 miles. It seemed to be a fuel issue so I drained the tank and changed the filters, they were pretty dirty but no wax.

It warmed back up (50-60s) and the truck would start and run but would die occasionally. Hard to restart. 10 days ok as temp was in the lower 20's it died on the way home and would not stay running. It would run for maybe a minute then die. Real hard to restart, left it in town, came back two days later when it was warmer and it would idle but died in gear.

Changed the fuel filters again, they were clean. Started digging around and started guessing. I think its a fuel delivery problem. I picked up the pcm? Cam Position Sensor yesterday and replaced it, that did not fix it but the old pcm came out in two pieces. So I figure it is at least a contributor.

So what next, I have not done the EGR valve but thats next, I am thinking fuel pump, but not sure. There are no codes at all and has never thrown a code since I have had it.

Want to check the fule pressure does anyone know what size the port is.

I really want to take it to the dealer but we are 25 miles from them. So if I make that commitment I am about 300$ in with just towing and diagnositics, would really like to fix this myself.
john15nlt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Waiting to hear myself. Mine surged on the road a couple of times this week, then behaved. This morning it ran smooth for about 1 minute, and shut down, it restarted for 3 seconds, and that is all she wrote!

67 Fairlane 500, 347 Stroker, AOD trans, 3.25 rear end... work in progress. I am looking for parts that I thought I had so carefully put away...............

Work "Truck" 110 foot, 1999 Spartan/ LTI quint, Detroit Series 60, Allison auto. Work "Engine" 06 Pierce Arrow, Detroit Series 60, 475 horse, Allison Auto. Work Medic unit, 08 E450 6.0 by Northstar.
shelbyandadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is yours at the dealer or just sitting somewhere.... we live in the middle of oilfield country, all the good diesel mechanics have been lured out of the dealerships to local private shops. You just never know what you are going to get or how long its going to take once it gets to their bone yards.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rickfirefight
Ours was bucking and missing, Changed the EGR runs killer now... Hope yours works out,...
Rickfirefight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 07:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Get it scanned. Check the IPR duty cycle during cranking, watch/check injection oil pressures at idle and during cranking, and check for cylinder contribution or other injector codes. Post back your findings.

Otherwise you can keep guessing and throwing parts at it. Sooner or later you might hit something.
w_huisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, so my code reader (cheap POS) shows nothing, but I looked around and pulled some the diagnostics off the odometer display.

I am not sure what alot of this is, but here are the dtc's

d262
d027

IF there is more information in this I have it all that will help just let me know, on another note, I dont think its the fuel pump, the egr was clean and based on how it looks I would say it was replaced when the engine word was done about 20k miles ago.

I guess its off the to the dealer tomorrow but would still like to know what this means.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

PF 3346
SF 0E05
19nln b
r 0402
nr 0402
EE 01
de 4768
cf1 60
cf2 00
cf3 00
cf4 00
dtc 9352
dtc 9318
dtc 1139
dtc 9360
dtc d262
dtc d027
eng 000
ric 000
eac 0000 (0650 when runnning)
f 226
fp 253
110 c
oil 233
066 tf
br 124
batt 12.3
rheo 00
prnd 40
par 0
door 80
stbr b
che 02
pa 80
pb 73
pe ic
p6 24
ph 82
pp 18
p5 8f/9f
pt 65
pcan 16
ado 000
ad1 251
ad2 055
ad3 076
ad4 143
ad5 255
ad6 156
ad7 138
Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Dealer says....

Fuel Pump is bad, #5 injector stuck open and exhaust gas fried the other 3 injectors on that side of the engine.

Do this sound right.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

How did you come up with that diagnosis?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I didnt, thats what the dealer said the problem was. My question is about an injector hanging open and burning the rest of the injectors. I don't see how that can happen. If I understand this right, if the injector is open then it would be dumping fuel on the piston. He said specificly that becuase the injector hung open, the exhaust gas was able to get the rest of them. Help expalin this to me I think I am getting jerked around.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you have an injector stuck open, your exhaust would be WAY raunchier than usual. He's probably referring to the brass tip seals leaking exhaust fumes back into the fuel line. Check out this article from the Ford Doctors... LINK

When one seal goes and exhaust gets into the fuel rail, additional injectors on the same side misfire and will trip cylinder contribution codes. It only takes one failed seal on one injector to cause codes for the other injectors. The Balloon test will identify which seal has failed.

If you're having this done under warranty, you may as well let them replace all the injectors they feel are necessary.

If you're footing the bill, your problem could possibly be solved with a couple of injector o-rings and a new brass seal. In this circumstance, I'd start by doing the balloon test and see where that leads.

Last edited by w_huisman; 01-12-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.