04 f-350 hard to start when cold - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 f-350 hard to start when cold

I have an 04 f-350 early build 6.0 that is hard to start when cold. after setting over night, when you go to crank it, it fires then dies immediately. Turn the key to off then back on, wait for the plugs, and it does the same thing again. It does this 3 or 4 times before it finally fires and stays running. But it runs like a top after it fires and then starts fine the rest of the day unless it sits for more then an hour or so, then it has a bad stumble before it fires. I have done a lot of research on these forums and talked to some diesel techs and from what i have gathered it is probably a problem with the high pressure oil system. I know that the high pressure oil pump is supplied by a reservoir that i believe is located under the oil cooler that is supplied by the low pressure oil pump. Is it possible that somewhere between the low pressure pump and reservoir that there is a small leak allowing the reservoir to leak down as the truck sits idle causing the truck not to start until the reservoir is refilled by turning over the motor? has anyone ever heard of this? does this even make sense? is there anyway to tell if the revervoir is empty before i start it? Thanks for any help
guilddlp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Using OEM or aftermarket oil filters?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

oem oil filter and motorcraft oil
guilddlp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sound like a air intrusion problem from the fuel filter canisters,
Ljutic SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

i thought that it was possibly air in the fuel system, but this problem just randomly started one day with a slight stumble when i went to start it up and has gotten worse. is there i good way to bleed the system of air? thanks a lot
Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just driving the truck normally for 10-15 minutes will get all the air out of both the fuel and HPOP oil lines.

When you first try to start the truck for the first time during the day, pull the oil filter out and see if it is still dripping wet with oil, or if it is basically "dry". If its wet, then we know that oil is staying in the oil filter housing, if its dry, then the drain valve in the bottom of the filter housing may need to be replaced.

Do you have access to a good scan tool?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have pulled the oil filter out before i start it in the morning and it is dry. i dont have access to a scan tool that will read the truck but it was scanned about 3 weeks ago when the truck wasnt starting at all and i took it to a diesel shop. They replaced the icp sensor under the turbo and said that the high pressure was only showing 225 before they replaced the sensor and it needed 500 to fire the injectors. So now it will start and runs like a top once started but still is hard to start after it has been sitting. After they gave it back to me and it had the same startup problem the next morning i took it back down there and they hooked it back up to the computer and said it wasnt throwing any codes.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Unscrewing the oil filter lid will open the filter drain valve.. by the time you get the filter out (unless you are real quick about it) the cannister may well be "dry".

All I can suggest is to access the data stream before the first start of the day... You'll want to watch several PIDs - RPM, SYNC, FICM_SYNC, ICPvolts AND pressure, IPR duty cycle, fuel injector pulse width (FUEL_PW) as well as the three FICM voltages. This shouldn't be difficult to fix as long as the diagnostic process isn't "tainted".
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

thats probably my biggest problem i have no one to read it that knows what they are looking at and my local ford dealer told me i had blown head gaskets last time i when to them (about 1 year ago) to get the truck flashed. the tech tryed to get me to let him do it "on the side" for a discounted price. needless to say, it ran fine until this start up problem. is there a scan tool i can buy somewhere to read the codes myself?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampyJim View Post
Unscrewing the oil filter lid will open the filter drain valve.. by the time you get the filter out (unless you are real quick about it) the cannister may well be "dry".
There would be evidence of oil on the filter and on the walls of the housing if it was full immediately prior to unscrewing it though correct? It should be fairly obvious whether the filter has been sitting in oil all night or not...., at least I would think so?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

i agree, when i pull it out, the filter is dry to the touch, not like it has just been sitting in oil. wonder if that alone could cause the start up problem
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have heard of the drain valves in the bottom of the filter housing losing their ability to seal well, causing the filter housing to drain out over a period of a few hours.

Just to confirm, you are using an OEM filter with an OEM filter cap, correct?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

yes i am using OEM filter and cap, do you know if ford sells a kit with the seals and such i need to fix it?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

No sure about a kit, but I know that the little drain valve can be replaced, its just a plastic, clip in type of deal with a spring.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

I went to ford to see if they would just sell me the little piece in there that i need and they said i had to buy the whole oil filter housing for $350 some dollars. and then i dont even know for sure that thats the problem. i guess i will just have to bite the bullet
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.