05 6.0 OVERHEATING WHEN TOWING BETWEEN 35-55MPH! - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: 05 6.0 OVERHEATING WHEN TOWING BETWEEN 35-55MPH!

[ QUOTE ]
i have the edge with attitude, and the edge digital gauge was displaying 210 degrees. the truck never boiled over,

[/ QUOTE ]

As well it shouldn't. 210F when towing at that speed sounds about right, frankly. Perfectly normal. Particularly in a chipped truck.

[ QUOTE ]
but the factory temp gauge was about a qaurter of an inch from the red. like i said abbove 55-60 mph it goes down to 190-195.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Locked up the converter, and more ram air through the heat exchangers. Makes perfect sense at those ambients.

[ QUOTE ]
what is considered running HOT on a 6.0? it may not be running hot at all. it may just need the factory gauge recalibrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a TSB out for the '05 temp gauges doing exactly what you're describing. Get that performed on your truck. Basically, the gauge is wonky, but there's nothing temperature-wise wrong with your truck -- certainly no overheating.
'99 Mustang Cobra, SCCA Solo2 E Street Prepared
'97 Dodge Neon, SCCA ITA/STU/EP Club Racing

Now I do subsea ROV tooling.
AutoJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

I have an 03 and have never had any issues with it getting hot. gauge on the dash never goes over half way. I have noticed for some reason even when cold leaving the house, sometimes it will kick in and run for a few miles and then shut down. Does it year around and has since it was new. Ford never could explain why.

When I am in higher elevations the fan runs all the time. When I travel to family in Colorado and Montana, it will kick in about half way across Kansas and run constantly until it gets back to a lower elevation. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

It is very consistent, like it has some elevation meter on it. It will turn back off when I am coming home about half way across kansas. This is winter, summer, empty not towing. It does wonders for fuel mileage.
searcyfarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

When you see some fan noise after a cold start (ie, the truck has sat overnight or equivalent), what you're seeing is called "morning sickness" and is pretty much standard equipment with any viscous fan drive. What happens is that while the truck sits still, some of the working fluid in the fan drive drains back into the working part of the drive, and so the drive is partially engaged when you first start the truck. Because everything is cold, and cold viscous silicone oil is, well, viscous, it takes a little while to pump it out.

The fan reacts to coolant temperature, air charge temperature, AC demand, and ATF temp. The coolant temp function is a ramp function, I'm pretty sure the air charge function is a ramp function, AC shouldn't be calling for fan at highway speeds, and neither should the ATF temp. So you may have a sensitive ear -- I can pick up one of these fans at about 1500-1600 fan RPM, but I'm always listening for it (one of the perks/curses of designing cooling systems for a living: you're always evaluating the performance of the system in anything you drive), but my wife can't hear it until about 2000 fan RPM (which would correspond to a fully-engaged fan at around 1600 engine RPM), but I doubt the fan is running fully engaged, particularly when running empty.

Of course, westbound I-70 across Kansas is one big gradual uphill grade several hundred miles long...
'99 Mustang Cobra, SCCA Solo2 E Street Prepared
'97 Dodge Neon, SCCA ITA/STU/EP Club Racing

Now I do subsea ROV tooling.
AutoJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.