05 6.0 VERY hard start cold - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 6.0 VERY hard start cold

Hi all. Its been a while since I have had to post here. My 05 F450, 134K miles, would not start after sitting about 7 hrs. I did replace the fuel pump and the short harness. It took a while to start but ran well that night going home. Now it is very hard to start either cold or, if it has been sitting during a work day. When it does start, I have to sit and feather the throttle til it warms up some. It will start if plugged in overnight but, runs rough till it warms up. I do all my filters with Motorcraft on a regular basis. In the past I have replaced...19 fuel injectors, Hi-pop, FICM, EGR cooler kit and OEM oil cooler, fuel pressure reg update kit. I do really like this truck and it does what I want and more. It has been over a year since the last problem, It is just hard to keep this up. What could be wrong now??? Your help and advise is always welcome.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPFAN3460 View Post
Hi all. Its been a while since I have had to post here. My 05 F450, 134K miles, would not start after sitting about 7 hrs. I did replace the fuel pump and the short harness. It took a while to start but ran well that night going home. Now it is very hard to start either cold or, if it has been sitting during a work day. When it does start, I have to sit and feather the throttle til it warms up some. It will start if plugged in overnight but, runs rough till it warms up. I do all my filters with Motorcraft on a regular basis. In the past I have replaced...19 fuel injectors, Hi-pop, FICM, EGR cooler kit and OEM oil cooler, fuel pressure reg update kit. I do really like this truck and it does what I want and more. It has been over a year since the last problem, It is just hard to keep this up. What could be wrong now??? Your help and advise is always welcome.

Rich
Rich
19 injectors has to be some kind of record right, do you use Ford filters all around a must, how new are your batteries, are you running Syn oil maybe a 5w40 good, any centane boost in the fuel and 2 cycle oil in the fuel, Rev-X in the oil they say it works, max 5k on the oil because these injectors run in oil, low batteries take out the FICM???
Do you know what your fuel pressure, under 45lbs KILLS injectors
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans

Last edited by 2 Stroker; 03-12-2011 at 09:23 PM.
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Definitely check your fuel pressure it should not be less then 45lbs. and try some fuel additive i have been using this one it really helps with cold starts
AMSOIL Fuel Additives and Performance Improver
3000 watt inverter keeps drill batteries charged
4" tubo back MBRP cool duals
CFM+ intake elbow / Airaid cold air intake
SCT X3 from innovative diesel
Coolant Filter / Amsoil by-pass system
ATS Intercooler
Fluidampr / 200 amp alternator
ARP head bolts / Black onyx head gaskets
185cc Injectors 70hp+ / stock turbo
stage 1 fuel lines / cross over with fixed orifice
58 volt FIMC mod from swamps diesel
Airdog 2 with in tank fuel module upgrade Mag-Hytec Diff. and trans. covers
Aluminum degas tank
paintingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the quck replies,
Hope this helps...
2 new Optima batteries, ALWAYS use all Motorcraft filters, 5/w40 Rotella since I bought the truk 2 10K miles. Fuel psi was checked before and after reg upgrade, 38 and 64 after. I run C tain boost(I buy a case at a time.) Oil change between 4 and 5 K miles. I try so hard to keep the maint up because of all the issues. I almost want to go back to gas. This has to stop somewhere.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like your doing all the right things and it's still hard to start?
ATS Intercooler
Aluminum degas tank
Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

It quit on me a few days ago, no warning, just would not start. I replaced thr fuel pump (OEM) and a wiring harness as the new pumps have 2 connections and the original has 3. As per the dealer, later 05 went to this 2 plug pump due to a problematic heater in the pump. If I do not plug it in overnight, its a bear to start. I guess its back to the dealer
Old 03-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

when it does start after sitting for an extended period ,does it have the brief classic puff of white smoke+unburned diesel smell???after maybe 3 start attempts along with higher than normal cranking speed???
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Smoke, seems dark but will check better. Fuel smell, yes. As for craking speed, hard to tell with 2 brand new batteries. Seems maybe faster. What bad news does that bring me??

Rich
Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rich...not all will be bad news...first we need codes to point us in the correct direction...from the sound it you either have a severe stiction problem or a bad glowplug relay or module...that would just be a guess at this point and only sheer speculation on my part...anyways post back with codes so the guys can help you get it going...i will ask...are you the original owner?19 fuel injectors is for lack of a better word is incredible...b
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

I will get codes. I am the second owner, bought it with 10K miles. And yes...19 fuel injectors. I can't thank all of you enough.

Rich
Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

i almost hate to ask...does it have a steel fuel tank under the bed???...think delamination issues...b

Last edited by 03powerstrokeuser; 03-13-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

When was the upgraded regulator spring installed?

Whose injectors were installed (OEM, aftermarket)?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Plastic tank on the frame, aluminum in the bed. Srpring kit done last may, all injectors replaced under warranty with OEM by my dealer.

Rich
Old 03-14-2011, 03:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

This is just a long shot the 04 has a throttle plate your truck my be early 05 and have a active throttle it works with the EGR valve. I had nothing but problems with mine something electrical would tell it to close and chock air flow to the engine that's why i put the CFM elbow on at that time to remove the plate you can see it here it this link. The only way to see if you have one is to pull off the intercooler tube. This would have nothing to do with your injector problem though
http://dan.prxy.org/truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_038.html
Attached Thumbnails
05 6.0 VERY hard start cold-ps60_038_air_management_system.jpg  
ATS Intercooler
Aluminum degas tank

Last edited by paintingman; 03-14-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well, had my tech from the Ford dealer come by with scan tool and laptop. FICM voltage @ 32 and drops. Cam sensors, oil psi while cranking was good. So, now I will try the fix. Is there any info out there for the capacitors that have to be replaced as far as capacities and such?

Thanks to all who responded. I don't know what I would do without this site!!!

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.