'05 F250 4x4 ESOF won't work - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'05 F250 4x4 ESOF won't work

My 4 wheel drive won't engage. I have the hubs locked its not a vacum thing because the ac vent don't switch to defrost. I checked the fuse in the cab it is fine I checked the main one under the hood it is fine also. When I put a test light on the fuse in the cab there is no power to either side any Ideas?
durantdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Auto-Lock Hubs

I just found out about this site last night (oh what a blessing and wealth of information)! I have a 2004 F-250 and my hubs are in auto and I hit the selector switch to go to 4high and nothing! I can manually lock the hubs and all is fine. It is funny you mentioned the defrost issue as I noticed the last couple of times that when I put my selector switch in 4high, my a/c starts coming out my defrosters! Soooo, I just decided to say the heck with it all and I read a post on this site about the junk this ESOF system is and the failures so I went to my 4wd gurus locally and they said they see 2-3 F-250's a week with this failure and put on the premium WARN hubs that have either lock or free. Seem quite strong but I put into 4high today (and hubs were still in free) and the a/c goes back to blowing out the dang defrost vents! This probably does not cure your problem but I read a TON of posts last night on this ESOF issue.
gcoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by durantdiesel View Post
My 4 wheel drive won't engage. I have the hubs locked its not a vacum thing because the ac vent don't switch to defrost. I checked the fuse in the cab it is fine I checked the main one under the hood it is fine also. When I put a test light on the fuse in the cab there is no power to either side any Ideas?
I have the same symptoms as you, been that way for almost a year now. Would like to get it fixed though! When I turn my switch, absolutely nothing happens, no sound whatsoever and no 4x4 light on the dash panel either. Although I do see it light up for an instant on startup, as it always has.

I am suspecting that it's not the switch or fuse, but possibly the motor or solenoid or whatever it is at the transfer case.

gcoutlaw, your problem is a different case altogether and probably an easy fix with that vacuum problem. Even though you went to manual hubs, doesn't switching to 4x4 still do the same vacuum process, albeit needlessly? I don't think you ever fixed your original problem, just performed a run-around fix?
'03 250 CC SRW SWB, 4x4, XLT, 6.0 T/S, MBRP Turboback, Custom SCT, DiPricol Pyrometer, Adj Pedals, Reverse Sensors, ARE Z-Series Top, Sprayed bedliner, Remote Start/Keyless Entry, Edge Mini-spring pack, Bilsteins, 285's, Sirius Radio, Dark Highland Green
HBO1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I took it in yesterday and it is the transfer case motor $600.00 installed for a new one, they had to order it so I will take it back in a few days to have it fixed.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I took it in yesterday and it is the transfer case motor $600.00 installed for a new one, they had to order it so I will take it back in a few days to have it fixed.
Dang, 600 clams? Well, I know I'll have to look for a cheaper alternative to that! I am pretty confident mine is bad too though.

Glad yours is fixed and thanks for posting back!

Howard
'03 250 CC SRW SWB, 4x4, XLT, 6.0 T/S, MBRP Turboback, Custom SCT, DiPricol Pyrometer, Adj Pedals, Reverse Sensors, ARE Z-Series Top, Sprayed bedliner, Remote Start/Keyless Entry, Edge Mini-spring pack, Bilsteins, 285's, Sirius Radio, Dark Highland Green
Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Auto-Lock Hubs

You are correct. I probably just had a vaccum problem from day one but I had NO CLUE where to look not being a mechanic so maybe my thought process was wrong but my Ford dealer wants 110.00 to look at it and then parts! So I spent 266.00 and went ahead and bought the Warns which seem sto be much superior to the stock which are insanely priced from the posts I read. With this setup, I just have FREE or LOCK and if I want to 4wd now I go out and lock the hubs and put the switch in 4high inside. When done, reverse the process. The only time the a/c does this is when I go into 4wd which is like never so I figured the heck with it all and do an upgrade the truck and never suffer the posts I have seen about the stock hub assemblies. I read the post about some vaccum and red line and closing that off but dang if I know where that is! Thanks for taking the time guys to post replies-really appreciate it!!!
gcoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

The problem is with this system there are many variables that can cause it not to work. Next time I buy a truck it will have manual shift if possible. My dealer diagnosed it fairly quick, I was in there for an oil change trans service and needed to check the brakes (130K on original set they said they were half gone) I told them to check the 4x4 while they were at it, they did it for no charge.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBO1 View Post
Dang, 600 clams? Well, I know I'll have to look for a cheaper alternative to that! I am pretty confident mine is bad too though.

Glad yours is fixed and thanks for posting back!

Howard
I have a similar problem so I started looking for prices. The transfer case motor can be purchased for under $200 at a non-dealer parts house.
Vegas Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Moose View Post
I have a similar problem so I started looking for prices. The transfer case motor can be purchased for under $200 at a non-dealer parts house.
That's good news. I think this will be my project tomorrow...at least to determine whether it's indeed that motor.

My brother doesn't believe in the ESOF and always gave me a hard time about it. I was always so smug because it worked fine. Ah well.....
Old 10-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pulled this off the 'net just now written from a guy named Steve, a ford tech. Good info:

The transfer case shift motor on this vehicle uses a shift encoder. The shift encoder is a multi contact plate that tells the module what position the motor is in. If the shift encoder is intermittently giving data that is not coherent (not a proper reading for any known transfer case position), the module will not shift the transfer case, or it may end up in an incorrect position like the neutral position you found it to be in before it clunked into gear. I think it is likely that the shift encoder is defective, requiring t case motor replacement. However, to properly diagnose it, it needs to be reconnected to the scan tool and the plate contact on the encoder read and compared to the proper readings. You can also have shift solenoids that are defective, or a GEM module that has a defect. The most common failure is the shift motor. Steve

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2fyn2-2003-6-0-350-super-duty-4x4#ixzz0UElmQGRa
Old 10-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoutlaw View Post
So I spent 266.00 and went ahead and bought the Warns which seem sto be much superior to the stock which are insanely priced from the posts I read.
To the best of my knowledge Warn does not make hubs for the 05+ trucks with 35 spline outers yet so its not an option.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

My local parts store has the motor for $152.00. I wonder do you need to drop the transfer case to change the motor? The dealership wants $450.00 for labor to do this unbelievable. I ordered the part from the parts store and will have it in a week
Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Angry

Quote:
My local parts store has the motor for $152.00. I wonder do you need to drop the transfer case to change the motor? The dealership wants $450.00 for labor to do this unbelievable. I ordered the part from the parts store and will have it in a week

These dealers kill me. I crawled under my truck and can access the transfer case motor easily. It looks to me like a couple of bolts should do the trick. How does that equate to $450. They got me for $300 in labor to install an alternator I thought was a warranty thing and that sits right on top of the engine! I'll be anxious to hear whether the motor does the trick for your 4x4 issue.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

I will have it in a week, after it is installed I will post the results. I had the dealer do the head gaskets new oil cooler and permanently fix the EGR and that was $5500.00. Since I am out of warrantee I will be watching them close from now on.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

My problems all started with some warranty work. Since then it's been one problem after another. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.