'05 F350 Keeps Dying and NO-START Condition - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
crf

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'05 F350 Keeps Dying and NO-START Condition

Live in the boonies. Just charged up batt's fully. Truck started fine last few days. Started fine this A.M. Oil pressure on dash shows good and has shown good. I check all the time. Got about 1/2 mile and she died and showed TBC fault. Tried to start, nothing. No injector test, no fuel pump, no crank, etc. Jumped, got good inj. test & fuel pump running. Started, drove about a minute, died again. Same as above, nothing. Repeated this procedure of jumping w/spare batt's about 5 times and got about a mile. Now, it won't do anything. No injector test, no fuel pump running, no crank. Walked back to house, got on internet. Found member bismic's post on NO-START. Very informative. I'm not a Ford guy but work on them some. With my truck's symptoms, does anyone have a quick-fix solution to get the truck home at least? Have plenty of tools. Probably not some of the special adapters for Ford, but can get them. I'll have to look for all the test points on internet (from bismic's post) but can find them. Don't have code reader so that may be a problem. Nearest dealer of any kind is 200 miles so that's out of the question. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:06 PM

My Photos: (2)
Do you have any more info that might be relevant? When it died did the dash "black out" any warning lights come on first? Did it seem electrical or did it seem like everything was normal other than the engine just shut off?

Anything at all that you can offer that you notice right before it shuts down might help.

Without further info, first thing that comes to mind is the batteries are toast. Can you test them or maybe install the spares you mentioned you had boosted with to see if it solves the problem?

Alternator may not be replacing the charge so it should be suspect as well as it's wiring.

Next place I would head is to the 3 plugs on the PCM (drivers side inner fender) and the 3 FICM plugs to make sure all 6 plugs are tight and connected. I would also look closely at the red heavy gauge wire coming off the DS battery and the related fuse box close to it.

Pulling the air box and checking for chaffed wired under it wouldn't be a bad idea either, these trucks are known in that area for harnesses getting rubbed through especially if they are in contact with the rocker cover studs at the front closest to the intake.

If it's a mechanical issue with the engine, I suspect you will need a scan tool to collect some data before you will be able to pinpoint it

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:33 PM

1.) I would look at batteries first, If a cell is shorted, you can still read 12 volts but when you draw power it will drop a cell. and you may have drained your jump battery to by starting it several times. first get good solid power, you will need that anyway.

B.) Why were the batteries dead? if the alternator is not charging you could stall in a hurry. make sure it putting out 13.5- 14 volt at the batteries after you get it running again.

3.) Check the obvious things first. to often we jump to conclusions and search for every thing under the sun when the problem is staring you right in the face. Trouble shooting is a skill that has to be learned, but you need to know what you are working with if you don't you can spend a lot of money just replacing part that were fine in the first place.

Keep us posted please.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
crf

Thanks guys for the info. Will check all items today, especially batt's and then move on to rest, i.e., alt., wiring, etc. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.