06 Oil Cooler and EGR Delete - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ty1

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking 06 Oil Cooler and EGR Delete

Quick question. My local bulletproofdiesel.com dealer will do an EGR Delete and bulletproof Oil Cooler for around 2,900$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....One problem..........I don't have 2,900$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.................So my plan is to delete the egr, then within' a month or two (10,000 miles) do the oil cooler. Being an 06 which has a fairly good reputation will my oil cooler last much longer or will I just have to get screwed..........Any help is great..... Should I do the oil cooler first even???? Thanks for all replies!!! Truck has 102,000 miles BTW.

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Ty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

What is the temperature difference between the oil and coolant after you completely reach operating temps?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

The reason bismic asked your temp difference is because the oil cooler does not really need to be changed until there is a 15F or more difference between the oil temp and the coolant temp. Technically since you are doing an egr delete the temp difference becomes moot as the difference was fords way to "guess" if there was enough coolant coming out of the oil cooler to cool the egr cooler. So no egr cooler then you could technically ignore the oil cooler unless it is leaking or you are getting super high oil temps. Really, if you can do the egr delete you can also do the oil cooler replacement. It is not that hard, just tedious. There are tons of videos on utube. Give them a look and see if you want to jump in. Most owners just do the oil cooler and delete themselves. The hard part is getting the turbo out and changing the up pipe because the bolts are not captured. You have to put a wrench on the top and bottom of the bolt. And they are not easily accessible, although in my case i welded the bolts to the new up pipe before installing it. So getting out the old one took two hours, putting in the new one took 20min (the long bolts go on the sliding flange which bolts to the manifold)...

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 07-22-2012 at 07:48 PM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I am going through the same deal with my 06. What's better egr delete or bullet proof egr. My price was 2800 in San Angelo

SCT livewire
PHP ficm tuner
Bulletproof oil and egr coolers
DC power 270xp
Muffler deleted.
Banks Techni Cooler
Banks Ram air filter.
yatespread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ty1

The truck has ran normal and great. I did lose the turbo a month or so ago due to an oil tube blowing up inside it. temps all seem normal and not a leak. I will go ahead and buy a therometer and test the temps before I do anything......sounds like a great and easy test.

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatespread View Post
I am going through the same deal with my 06. What's better egr delete or bullet proof egr. My price was 2800 in San Angelo
My price was 2500 here in Colorado for the Bulletproof egr and oil cooler and an extra 400-600 roughly for the delete and oil cooler since you have to add the sct tuner price.. I'd much rather do the delete so I don't have to deal with the soot on the egr valve and maybe get that extra 2 mpg.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Its kinda a double edge sword, Since your gonna be in there you could just change out the oil cooler as preventive maintenance, But if you get the Bulletproof oil cooler, You will have to go back in there to remove the oil cooler and replace the top plate with the Bulletproof part. I run a Bulletproof EGR Cooler with the EGR valve "deactivated" (they put a value in that it will never reach so it doesnt open & close.) When your in there make sure you clean out your intake as it will have a nice coating of soot inside, Best to have it hot tanked at a radiator shop. Clean all the soot off the sensors on the intake, The biggest pain was, as previously mentioned, Seized turbo bolts & getting all that exhaust plumbing back in correctly. It does make it easier to install if you deleted the EGR cooler though. If you do a delete make sure you run a tuner that will allow you to "delete" the egr valve so u dont get a code.

01' Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD

04' Ford Chassis Fleetwood 32' Motorhome

06'-VW Jetta TDI

(Sold after 2 engine oil leaks in 8k miles) 2009 Oxford White F250 6.4 PSD Lariat 4X4 CC LB
F350MudBogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you do it yourself (and you should try) get a new set of turbo bolts from ebay or your local ford dealer. It comes with the oil line gaskets/o-rings. I would also invest the $300 in a set of digital gauges. I prefer the Edge Insight, it plugs into the OBD2 port and tells you everything except for oil pressure, egt and fuel pressure. It is a great way to monitor voltages, temperatures and so on plus will let you read codes and clear codes... I made it a point to spray PB Blaster on all bolts before trying to remove them and not a single one was stuck. They all came out w/o issues. Great stuff!! Walmart sells it.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.