2003 6.0 Excursion rough idle then stall. Any Ideas? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2003 6.0 Excursion rough idle then stall. Any Ideas?

I was driving down the express way the other day when all of a sudden out of nowherethe engine started losing power. It was not a quick loss of power but is very slow over 20 seconds loss of power until the engine eventually stalled. it would not restart. I had to have it towed back to my house. When I tried to start is the next day it started right up. it idled very rough like it was missing on at least 1 or 2 cylinders until eventually after about a minute or 2 it stalled and would not restart just like the day before. this process repeats itself. I can start it once then after it stalls the first time it will not restart no matter what I try unless it sits for a period Of at least 6 hours.

now I'm no diesel expert but to me this sounds like a fuel problem. My thoughts are either fuel filters they have about 20,000 miles on them, I was going to change them on the next oil change (about 600 milesfrom now). or I heard that the FICMs on the 6.0s are prone to go.

It is a 2003 ford excursion, all stock, with 205,000 miles. any help would be appreciated. If you have had an issue similar to mine or you have an idea as to what could be causing the issue I would greatly appreciate to hear about it.

Last edited by Xx_Razgriz_xX; 03-07-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Xx_Razgriz_xX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Fuel filters may or may not be your problem but since you're waaaaaay overdue to change them, start there and see what happens. Low fuel pressure is the #1 killer of injectors.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ya I planned on changing them in the first place, I guess I shouldn't have waited for one more oil change. I am going to change them tomorrow as well as test for proper fuel pressure afterwards, Cuz this perticular Excursion has already went through one pu earlier in its life.

Will update how it goes in the next couple days.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Was it belching out tons of black smoke also?
Term3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

the first time it stalled when I was going down the express way it was 5 o'clock right during rush hour so I was concentrating on just getting to the side of the road and not being killed, so the first time it started losing power I cant say for sure because I didn't see, but when I start it now and I get a minute of idle outta it there is very little smoke. no more than normal for a cold diesel
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

So by rush hour I assume you were doing low speeds? First thing to check is to se if your EGR valve is stuck open.
Term3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

We changed the fuel filters, got it running it idled a little rough just like before, we reved the engine to 1500rpm for 30sec, and as soon as we let off it immediately stalled, and won't restart, no sputtering or anything. Just cranks and that's it. So changing the fuel filters didn't change anything.

If it sits for quite a whike, you can start it back up but if it idles for to long or you touch the throttle at all it stalls out.

Very Weird.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

1) Make sure you are only using the OEM oil filter style w/the OEM cap. NAPA / Wix filters with the big dome cap are a no no.
2) Get it scanned for codes. Not all codes illuminate the dash lamp.
3) Check your fuel pressure. Should have at least 45psig at all times.
4) Pull your EGR valve and inspect. If it's severely coked up or won't seat completely, replace it.
5) Check your ICP and IPR while cranking. The easiest way to do this is with a Scan Gauge 2. You can pick one up for about $140 and is a great little tool. You need to make at least 500psig oil pressure before the injectors fire.
6) Pull your FICM relay, remove the secondary fuel filter cap, and have somebody crank the engine while you watch for bubbles. A bad injector seal will allow combustion gases into the fuel rail and displace the fuel. The bubbles will be confirmation on combustion gases.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmac View Post
1) Make sure you are only using the OEM oil filter style w/the OEM cap. NAPA / Wix filters with the big dome cap are a no no.
2) Get it scanned for codes. Not all codes illuminate the dash lamp.
3) Check your fuel pressure. Should have at least 45psig at all times.
4) Pull your EGR valve and inspect. If it's severely coked up or won't seat completely, replace it.
5) Check your ICP and IPR while cranking. The easiest way to do this is with a Scan Gauge 2. You can pick one up for about $140 and is a great little tool. You need to make at least 500psig oil pressure before the injectors fire.
6) Pull your FICM relay, remove the secondary fuel filter cap, and have somebody crank the engine while you watch for bubbles. A bad injector seal will allow combustion gases into the fuel rail and displace the fuel. The bubbles will be confirmation on combustion gases.
yeah I have a friend coming tomorrow that has one of those really expensive snap on computers that you plug right into the dash. he's gonna scan for codes as well as monitor all the systems as we try and start it and we can get it started as it stalls. and he's also bringing a fuel pressure gauge were gonna check the pressure for sure tomorrow as well. I will also try your suggestions as well.

I will make sure to update you all tomorrow on how things go and if we learn anything. If you guys have any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again all.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

After fiddleing around for a couple days, trying some of ur suggestions and it was to no avail. Did a proper Fuel pump pressure check too, even with fuel gushing out the connections still hit 55psi which is fine. New development now though.

We can hear cavitation in the pump when we key it.

But there are no visible leaks so air in the line could be our problem. Now to find out how the air got in there and why its not purging it self out.

This is turning out to be the nightmare I thought it would be...

Were stumped for ideas.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ok, our friend with the snap-on tool shows the HPOP only producing 250-300 psi.

So it looks like its finally had its last days. I guess 200k miles for a stock 6.0 HPOP is not bad lol

We'll replace that and she should be back on the road. Will keep posted.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

holy cow this is EXACTLY what happened to my 03 6.0 powerstroke let me know PLEASE after you replace the HPOP if it worked I had in mind to replace all my injectors please update if you can...
brandonoliver01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

update???? same problems

2000 f250 XLT, 4x4, PSD,transmedic transmission gresham oregon , auto, XC, 3.73 gears, LB bradford built flatbed, edge juice with attitude, 4"Banks exhaust with Banks jake brake, Banks Trans command, Banks smart lock, Banks big head wastgate, Banks k&n air filter intake kit,ATS ported shroud compressor housing, CFM+ intake manifold,AIH delete,ITP overboost annihilator, Fuel Rail Crossover, Riffraff SS HPX oil cross over tube,Fuel pressure spring settings 66-72 psi, propane injection set at 7psi boost.

1983 f250 6.9, STC, 4X4, 5 speed, LB bradford built flatbed,with BANKS sidewinder turbo kit, BANKS 4" exhaust injectors set at 2150psi

1970 f250 FARM AND RANCH SPECIAL
djbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown View Post
update???? same problems
Oops, forgot about this post. Ya the HPOP was the problem. I've drove it about 2500 miles so far and it seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks everybody again for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.