2003 6.0 liter, fuel filter change, no start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0 liter, fuel filter change, no start

2003 6.0 liter diesel has been showing hesitation on throttle response. stalled the other day & would not restart, came back 3 hours later & started back up, then made it home, changed fuel filters (not bad), restarted & ran for 30 seconds then quit. Can't get it started again. Removed fuel tank & inspected, all ok. Removed filter & pump assembly, disassembled, completely cleaned, found heater corroded & disconnected it, then prefilled with deisel & reinstalled. When secondary filter cover is removed no fuel is being pumped up while cranking. What am I missing?. been working on this for several days, only got 1 error code, one time P-0670, could this being causing the no start. Sometimes it sounds like it wants to start, other times it just cranks over. Really could use some help!
paulgh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Could be the fuel pump inside the HFCM is bad.

Page 29: Fuel Supply System
Born on date: Jan 20, 2003
Number of reflashes done: 2 (05E15 Jan 8, 2007)
Number of C94 injectors replaced: 0
Number of times the EGR valve has been replaced/cleaned: 0 (updated: 4/15/2010)

The United States Constitution 1791, All Right Reserved.

Last edited by hitecdan; 10-20-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Adding 6.0L Bible link-HFCM layout.
hitecdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you. Not sure if i am getting power to the pump, when should I get power? When the key is on?, after cranking (oil pressure)? Is there a way to "bench test" the pump? 12 volts?

Would appreciate any additional input. Thanks
Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

The fuel pump turns on when you turn the ignition key to run. You should be able to hear the pump running.

The pump runs on 12 volts so it is possible to test it by providing temporary power to the pump.

Lou Braun
Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you, does it matter which side is + or -?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

If the fuel filter in the HFCM is not seated correctly the fuel will not pass through to the engine mount filter. I learned this the hard way. I seat the filter into the cap until it snaps in and then install it into the HFCM.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

The pump should run at key on for about 15 seconds then it will cut out. You should be able to hear it when you key on.

You can bench test the HFCM by applying 12V to the connector, the left pin is pos when looking into the connector and the tabs are oriented up.

You may have amplified the problem by disassembling it and re assembling without replacing the nitrile seals.
Sirius Satellite Radio
Draw-Tite Activator Brake Controller
dieseldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you, I checked and have 11.47 volts to the pump with the key on. When I disassembled the unit I did not take apart the pump itself, just the cover, filter & drain cover. I'll do a bench test next, just to make sure. The ford dealer has a pump, and reasonably priced, I just can not return it, so i want to make sure all my bases are covered.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgh View Post
Thank you, I checked and have 11.47 volts to the pump with the key on. When I disassembled the unit I did not take apart the pump itself, just the cover, filter & drain cover. I'll do a bench test next, just to make sure. The ford dealer has a pump, and reasonably priced, I just can not return it, so i want to make sure all my bases are covered.
Paul,

If you took the drain cover off, you MUST use a new gasket. reusing the old one will not reseal.

OMC
Old 10-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Installed the new fuel pump tonight. Bingo, the truck fired right up!

Thank you everyone who added their kernels of knowledge. I am truly appreciative of you taking the time to help a total stranger (with the exception of having a Ford in common) diagnose & repair their livelihood. I'm sure it saved me several hundred dollars at the shop.

Wishing you all the best,

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.