2003 6.0L Coolant leaking from the water pump I believe! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0L Coolant leaking from the water pump I believe!

The coolant on the truck is leaking. The coolant is dripping out over the crankshaft pulley. I think it is from the water pump and/or its weap hole. I does not leak when you first start it up and until it heats up. Also, does not leak when it cools down. But I am curious is it possible that the thermostat is jammed and this is what is making the water pump leak?
Guber6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

most of the time when it leaks it's time to be replaced at least on mine that was the case
3000 watt inverter keeps drill batteries charged
4" tubo back MBRP cool duals
CFM+ intake elbow / Airaid cold air intake
SCT X3 from innovative diesel
Coolant Filter / Amsoil by-pass system
ATS Intercooler
Fluidampr / 200 amp alternator
ARP head bolts / Black onyx head gaskets
185cc Injectors 70hp+ / stock turbo
stage 1 fuel lines / cross over with fixed orifice
58 volt FIMC mod from swamps diesel
Airdog 2 with in tank fuel module upgrade Mag-Hytec Diff. and trans. covers
Aluminum degas tank
paintingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guber6 View Post
The coolant on the truck is leaking. The coolant is dripping out over the crankshaft pulley. I think it is from the water pump and/or its weap hole. I does not leak when you first start it up and until it heats up. Also, does not leak when it cools down. But I am curious is it possible that the thermostat is jammed and this is what is making the water pump leak?
No its the shaft seal leaking. The weep hole is on top of the pump casting.You cannot see it because the pulley is covering it.Done alot of them in Internationals not fun but entirely do-able. but there are way worse things to repair on this engine you would not want any part of trust me Remember the fan hub is left handed thread.If you dont have the tools to do it dont torture yourself Lol.............
Old 08-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Had the same leak tore my truck down only to discover that it was the water temp sending unit that was leaking. I just went ahead and changed the water pump anyway. I think it is common for that sending unit to leak. The path the water took made it look like the water pump.
speedrcr78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

the top hose on my thermostat was leaking and the coolant some how made it to the bottom of the crank.
f350fedx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.