2003 6.0L Won't start when hot (sometimes) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0L Won't start when hot (sometimes)

Engine starts fine when cold, but sometimes after driving it for a distance sufficient for it to warm up it will not start. Starter turns motor fine. One time when it wouldn't start, I disconnected the batteries for 15 minutes and it cranked. It has acted up since then, and as I work out of town and my wife drives it, I have not been able to try this again to determine if the act of disconnecting the batteries temporarily solved the problem or it was merely a coincidence. She has taken the truck to a local Ford dealer who have duplicated the starting problem but say that they can't get an error code to come up on the computer. They think it is the fuel pump, but from what I have been told have not put a gauge on the fuel line to confirm their diagnosis. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so offer their solution. I have read and forwarded to the Ford mechanic the Troubleshooting a "no Start" condition list from this site. Thanks in advance for any help.
notaone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

dummy plug or hpop problem
Oxford white, scangauge 2, 3" lift, egr delete, stc upgrade, dieselsite coolant filter, high idle mod, skyjacker s/s,deezee nerf bars and drybox, 305/65-18 BFG all terrains, Hella driving lights and fog lights.
sarnott140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not saying it is from here but the 03's are notorious for ICP problems causing this.
2005 Lariet, 6.0, 3:73 1969 Mach 1, 428 CJ
1971 Triumph Trident(SOLD)
2007 Road King flhp
2007 Jazz 5er, 11k
173rd Airborne
69cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you got your truck fixed yet? Did they finally put a gauge on the fuel pressure test port?

I went round and round with a service manager when my truck was haveing issues with the HPOP system. I wanted them to put a gauge on the HPOP and they refused stating "Ford doesnt recommend using a gauge." How stupid could they be? Or how stupid do they think I am?

Anyway, I finally had to fix it myself. Never again will my truck go to a dealer.

To make a long story short, my HPOP had a blown o-ring and thus wouldnt make full pressure when oil was hot. Stone cold it would start but not when hot. P2285 (Low ICP) would only sometimes show up.

I now have mechanical gauges on Engine Oil Pressure, High Pressure Oil, Fuel Pressure and Coolant temp. I'm hoping Santa will bring me some more goodies.
Tow big RV trailer for fun.
Fixinitmyself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely check icp voltage koeo, these are a huge issue on an 03 with the icp sensor located under the turbo. It is usually worse with engine hot also. Check your icp votage with a scan tool with key on, engine off when it is hot. Should be between .18 and .24 volts, anything lower is no good. Also, crawl underneath an look up at sensor (left hand side of vehicle, above bellhousing) to see if it is leaking, this is another indicator the sensor needs replacement. Replace the sensor AND connector at the same time.
djshum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.