2003 F250 rear end rebuild? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 F250 rear end rebuild?

Just recieved a quote from my local shop regarding a rear end issue with my 80K mile truck. Issue: speed dependent high pitch whining sound from rear end. Diagnosis: Worn carrier bearings. Suggested repair: Full rear end rebuild (carrier bearings, pinion bearings, differential clutch pack, seals, lube etc.) Quoted cost: $1250

Does this seem like a reasonable price for the labor
/parts involved? The service tech said it would take ~5 hours labor + parts. Should I request the failed bearings to see if they truely are worn out as they claim? I normally would not question their diagnosis but my dad (45 year Ford dealership mechanic - retired) says that my described symptom (i.e. high pitch whining) does not sound to him lilke a carrier bearing issue. I already authorized the shop to do the work but after talking to my dad I am now a little suspicious of their repair quote. If there was metal shavings in my rear end from the worn carrier bearings wouldn't that result in speedometer and anti-lock brake sensor issues as well as rear end noise?
wsu0702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well depending on who you talk to, the "carrier" bearing is also referred to as the drive shaft center bearing. Do you have a two piece drive shaft? If so...I would look there first. Rear axle failures are extremely rare...if not next to impossible on these trucks. There will always be metal shavings on the magnet in the diff fluid, ive never seen one that hasnt.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu0702 View Post
Just recieved a quote from my local shop regarding a rear end issue with my 80K mile truck. Issue: speed dependent high pitch whining sound from rear end. Diagnosis: Worn carrier bearings. Suggested repair: Full rear end rebuild (carrier bearings, pinion bearings, differential clutch pack, seals, lube etc.) Quoted cost: $1250

Does this seem like a reasonable price for the labor
/parts involved? The service tech said it would take ~5 hours labor + parts. Should I request the failed bearings to see if they truely are worn out as they claim? I normally would not question their diagnosis but my dad (45 year Ford dealership mechanic - retired) says that my described symptom (i.e. high pitch whining) does not sound to him lilke a carrier bearing issue. I already authorized the shop to do the work but after talking to my dad I am now a little suspicious of their repair quote. If there was metal shavings in my rear end from the worn carrier bearings wouldn't that result in speedometer and anti-lock brake sensor issues as well as rear end noise?
Seems fairly reasonable.
*** I was fairly surprised when I replaced my l/s with an eaton locker to see how absurdly tight the carrier (bearings that support the cage /carrier that houses the l/s, or spider gears) were. I had just under 72,000 miles on the truck and the bearings were all gaulled and showing heavy wear. I think they used a 10# sledge to put the spacers in at the factory. I should have pulled and replaced the pinion bearings / races at this time, but they felt ok.
3,000 miles later had a slight vibration, ended up being the pinion bearings. What a way to dump 4 qts. of synthetic gear lube in the drain pan. ***

Surprised you heard a noise.... truck is so noisy in the first place.

The diagram shows an open diff, but the major parts are the same.
They are going to change # 2 side bearings, # 8pinion bearings. 2 sometimes being called carrier bearings.
Either way, you should get a 1 year warranty on parts/ labor on a dealer performed service? I hope.

Good luck.

PS I love my eaton locker... no more embarrising moments getting stuck on wet grass or towed out of muddy camping spots towing camper
Only filters and just switched 10/2010 to Shell Rotella 5w/40 synthetic from Rotella T 15w/40
Edge Insight Guage w/ dash pod,W/ pre-turbo Pyro, Dieselsite coolant filtration system, High idle mod., way too many extra lights...
1 turbo cleaning 6/07 from lot rot waiting for me to find her 45,000 mi.
4 ball joints: Ford ESP extended warranty
D-B 190 Amp. alternator What a difference!
Eaton (Detroit) Locker Rear Differential All new bearings / seals
I drive it like I stole it and love every minute behind the wheel. Almost as much fun as riding the motorcycle
DWL/03/PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.