2003 specific-Water Separator (HFCM) location Difference of F250Diesel 6.0L and 7.3L - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 specific-Water Separator (HFCM) location Difference of F250Diesel 6.0L and 7.3L

I just bought a 2003 F250 4x4 Ps Diesel 6.0L.....drove for a few days and the water/fuel indicator light (fuel pump with rain drops) came on. Looked in the manual, found the HFCM water seperator needs to be drained...located under the driver seat on the frame. Well - stripped the 6mm hex and taking to the dealer unless I can come up with another plan to get the bolt out and replace (with a new part 6E7Z-9C082-A).
BUT - what I am wondering is why is the 7.3L version (same year) come equiped with this on the top of the engine at the filter? Anyone know?
The 7.3L is a single filter with a release valve you simply turn and drain....the 6L's are a pain in the $#* having to climb under the truck and the bolt is a story all it's own.
Anyone know why they made it different?
Clymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
I do not know why they chose the bottom of the frame rail, other than the assumption that it was the easiest place to put it...

The 6.0L injectors are very picky about fuel, the slightest bit of dirt or water will start damaging injectors immediately. That’s why the 6.0s have 2 filters. The first one is a "Catch-All" and the second is for finer filtering
5% 3M Tinting
Viper 791XV with Remote Start
152dB Kleinn 3-Trumpet Horn System
Dakota Digital Gauges
T409 MBRP Straight Pipe
AFE Stage II Intake
HARPOONED Fuel Tank
2003 10 Vane Turbocharger
Blacked Out Harley-Davidson Edition Headlamps
ARP Head Studs
AVIC-Z2 In-Dash Navigation System
205cc Elite Sticks
Coolant Filter
Elite Regulated Return Fuel System
FS2500 Oil Filter
HPOP STC Replaced

My Pictures
cmirabile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks cmirable.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Do not know the exact answer to your question, but I can make some assumptions.

1) The 6.0L has the HFCM filter on the frame rail as it is the low-point of the fuel delivery system... so water and sediment would settle or want to settle at this point. Water is heavier than fuel... so water settles to the bottom.

2) The 6.0L requires 2 filters due to the extra fuel presures and the need for better filtered fuel... so space and accesibility is an issue... one on the frame rail and the secondary on top of the motor.

3) The 7.3L, even though eiser to change and open the drain valve... allowed fuel to spill down the side of the motor... which is both a safety problem if the motor is hot and/or an environmental problem when people drain and allow fuel to just flow onto the ground (no room for a catch pan).

My son drives a 7.3L and I drive a 6.0L... so I know exactly what you mean.

I have the replacement 6.0L HFCM drain plug you referenced above which is a special order item and allows the use of an adjustable wrench, allen wrench or even hand tighten to open and close (to turn the large knob). If your dealer can not find it right away... tell him that it is "Blue Oval" part and used on medium duty Ford trucks... it's a different parts database than the standard truck/car parts database the delaer normally is using.
Magnefine P/S Fluid Filter
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve/Plug
Marinco AC Block Heater Plug Mod.
Bilstein Shocks
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Brite Box Headlight Module
24" Wiper Blades

Last edited by beachbumcook; 12-09-2010 at 11:10 PM.
beachbumcook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks alot beachbumcook....very helpful. I have since had the side wall part of the HFCM taken off and the stock drain plug was seized so bad that supposedly the dealer broke something. It has been replaced WITH the new drain plug that extends out.
I found an interesting history site about the 6L and 7.3L.....
6.0L Power Stroke History

Thanks again for the information.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clymer View Post
Thanks alot beachbumcook....very helpful. I have since had the side wall part of the HFCM taken off and the stock drain plug was seized so bad that supposedly the dealer broke something. It has been replaced WITH the new drain plug that extends out.
I found an interesting history site about the 6L and 7.3L.....
6.0L Power Stroke History

Thanks again for the information.
Glad you got it fixed and all is well.

Also remember to ONLY use Racor made fuel filters... and not "will-fit" off-brand filters.

Racor makes the fuel and oil housing for the Int'l trucks and only their filters fit 100%... due to being patented. Even the "Aqua-Block" membrane around the large HFCM filter is patented... others look like it but are not the same (this is what seperates the water).

Racor makes for Int'l and Motorcraft... I personally buy my filters at my local Int'l truck dealer for 1/2 of what my Ford dealer sells them for. The local auto parts stores sell "will-fit" and WIX filters... not made by Racor.

Buyer beware.

Good luck and thanks for the link above... heading to the link/site right now.

Thanks,

Beach
Magnefine P/S Fluid Filter
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve/Plug
Marinco AC Block Heater Plug Mod.
Bilstein Shocks
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Brite Box Headlight Module
24" Wiper Blades
beachbumcook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.