2004 6.0 with injector problems or is it? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool 2004 6.0 with injector problems or is it?

Recently purchased 2004 f250 6.0 4x4. Drove it the three hours home and then the rest of the tank out and it ran fine. On the way to get fuel and while accelerating up a hill the engine pulsated and blew out black smoke. I put a full tank of fuel in it and it ran fine until I had to accelerate after stoping for a car, it did it again. Took it to the local dealer for a oil change and fuel filter and had them place it on the computer and they said it needed the #1 and #7 injector replaced and a RGR vaulve. I thought if the injectors were bad the engine would run bad all of the time or am I wrong? The truck only does this in the morning or when I leave work and then a few times while driving.This is my first diesel truck and I could use some help?
Quail Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
The engine won't necessarily run bad all the time because there are electric and mechanical failures in injectors. The "egr" valve allows exhaust gasses to re-enter the intake manifold after being cooled by some coolant lines that run through it. Usually fual deposits gum up the cooler and valve and cause it to stick either open or closed. Stuck open would be bad and most likely your case because the valve usually only opens under light/moderate throttle and not heavy throttle. Any mods to the truck? Fillin' out your signature will help people diagnose the truck a little better because lots of things are programmer related or more prone to certain truck due to specific mods done.
-2004 CCSB 4x4 6.0L King Ranch w/ Buckets front and rear, Airraid intake, PIAA foggers, MBRP stacks w/ muffler and cat delete and 5" straight cuts w/ clappers, EGR cooler welded shut, 33x13.50x18 Procomp Xtreme All-Terrains on American Racing 18x10 6 spokers, Smitty brush guard, Hide-a-hitch gooseneck, Anti-freeze injected exhaust for some nice smoke.

Soon- Edge Juice Platinum w/ Attitude, Dual Optimas, ARP Studs, Custom 7' 7" aluminum Flatbed, Realtree APG Camo full vinyl wraped cab.....5.9L twin turbo 24v cummins swap w/ a 6 speed if all else fails
FloridaKingRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
The truck is a 2004 F250, CCSB 4x4, Fx4. It is stock to the best of my knowledge. I am not sure what type of repairs it has had in the past. The truck has 97,000 miles on it.
Quail Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Dealer is most likely correct......black smoke on a stoke truck while going uphill is a common EGR symptom. Injectors are kinda hard to self diagnose though. I would let the dealer change the 2 that they say are bad. The only way for you to know they are bad is to hook the truck up to some pretty expensive diagnostic computer and individually shut down injectors to see which ones are responding and which ones are not (what ford will do)
-2004 CCSB 4x4 6.0L King Ranch w/ Buckets front and rear, Airraid intake, PIAA foggers, MBRP stacks w/ muffler and cat delete and 5" straight cuts w/ clappers, EGR cooler welded shut, 33x13.50x18 Procomp Xtreme All-Terrains on American Racing 18x10 6 spokers, Smitty brush guard, Hide-a-hitch gooseneck, Anti-freeze injected exhaust for some nice smoke.

Soon- Edge Juice Platinum w/ Attitude, Dual Optimas, ARP Studs, Custom 7' 7" aluminum Flatbed, Realtree APG Camo full vinyl wraped cab.....5.9L twin turbo 24v cummins swap w/ a 6 speed if all else fails
FloridaKingRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quail Bird View Post
Recently purchased 2004 f250 6.0 4x4. Drove it the three hours home and then the rest of the tank out and it ran fine. On the way to get fuel and while accelerating up a hill the engine pulsated and blew out black smoke. I put a full tank of fuel in it and it ran fine until I had to accelerate after stoping for a car, it did it again. Took it to the local dealer for a oil change and fuel filter and had them place it on the computer and they said it needed the #1 and #7 injector replaced and a RGR vaulve. I thought if the injectors were bad the engine would run bad all of the time or am I wrong? The truck only does this in the morning or when I leave work and then a few times while driving.This is my first diesel truck and I could use some help?
I have a similiar issue with my truck, it is very random and I cant duplicate. Usually on a load at about 2K RPM. Just went past my extended warranty,
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.