2004 6.0L Powerstroke-Oil Pressure Problem? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2004 6.0L Powerstroke-Oil Pressure Problem?

I have a problem with my 6.0 Powerstroke engine. This problem just started on Friday of this week. Engine is now very hard to start and just keeps spinning over until batteries are almost dead but will eventually start. Oil pressure seems to be normal according to gauge until engine warms up and then after depressing accelerator and letting it go and when engine returns to idle the oil pressure gauge falls to zero. Oil pressure seems to be normal when driving down the road until coming to a stop and after engine idles for just a second the oil pressure gauge again falls to zero. Could this be a faulty sensor or a more serious problem? Has anyone else had a similar problem with this engine? Please, help me out here and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

tufenuf4u2
tufenuf4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

First I would check with a scanner,Check for codes and Monitor the actual PID with the laptop or scanner to see if it is indeed the gauge or sensor,which it doesnt sound like.If the low pressure gearotor pump has problems the tk isnt goint to run,Well not long anyways when the High pressure pump is starved of Oil supply it will quit.This could be a combination of problems here Including a High pressure Oil leak.I would start off having it checked with a Laptop or compatible scanner.Is the Oil level full to begin with?.It is going to take some diagnosing to pin it down properly.There is a test port down on the Oil cooler housing to test base engine oil pressure,But it is a bear to get at.I could walk you though proper diagnostic steps, but you Need the right testing equiptment which is why you would be better off at a dealership.Not to be smart but if you are Not farmiliar with the VT-365 and its diagnostic repair methods its better off Not tearing into it.Mainly on complex issues.It can Be VERY expensive to throw parts or guess at problems.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Grounder,

Thanks for the reply! I did take my F-250 to my local dealer today and this is what they told me. First, they said that it is indeed a internal oil leak and that o-rings had to replaced on heads underneath valve covers. Next, they said that high pressure oil pump has to have valve replaced. Finally, they said turbo is making a squalling noise similar to a power steering pump going out and it should be replaced as well. I can hear this squalling noise but I cannot pinpoint the location of the noise myself. I think that I will take the belt off the engine tomorrow just to prove to myself that this noise is indeed the turbo. One more thing, where is this high pressure oil pump located? Oh Yeah, The Ford dealer wants $3,000.00 to do the above work, what do you think?

Thanks,

tufenuf4u2
Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

The high pressure oil pump is located in on top of the engine block, at the rear of the engine (ie firewall side of engine) and between the two cylinder heads. The turbo and the intake manifold must be removed to access the pump.
Manual idle-up switch
(placing power onto PCM PTO wire)
Fumoto valve
Skweeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skweeker View Post
The high pressure oil pump is located in on top of the engine block, at the rear of the engine (ie firewall side of engine) and between the two cylinder heads. The turbo and the intake manifold must be removed to access the pump.
Theres No need to remove the Intake manifold for pump removal.The Turbo and pump cover is all that is necessary.Before you go throwing a pump on it you need to Pinpoint the leak.(s) There is alot more to diagnosisng High pressure Oil leaks.You will need to pressurize the system and may need the case tube blockoff plugs to isolate this problem.Not to be smart but this can be a real pain and is Not a driveway job or for someone without experience .If you are positive it is either a STC fitting, failed pump, cracked branchtube or Bad casetube or Oil manifold plug O-rings,or a Leaking injector.See what I am getting at it can be either of the above mentioned and you Need to isolate it first.

Last edited by grounder; 01-22-2008 at 11:39 AM.
grounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Grounder,
You were so right with your assessment of this problem. Here is a rundown of what has happened so far. My local Ford dealer wanted $3K plus to fix the problem with this engine and I said NO due to the fact that I felt like Ford should have warranteed this repair. Why spend more money with the people who created this problem to begin with! Anyway, enough of that. Here is what we have done so far. Replaced turbo, replaced IPR valve, replaced low pressure gear rotor pump and we still do not have oil pressure. Plugged manual gauge in on top of engine at sending unit port and here what oil pressure reads up there. 6 PSI idling and 30 PSI @ 2000 RPM. Removed check valve assembly in oil filter housing and inspected no noticeable problems with valve assembly. Engine is still extremely hard to crank and when it does crank waste gate does not want to open on turbo but will after awhile. I am wondering where to go from here? Seems like not enough oil getting to the high pressure pump to ramp up pressure to fire injectors. Tell me what to try from here.

Thanks,
tufenuf4u2
Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Grounder,

Depending on the build date of his 04, he might need to take the intake manifold off. If he has an 03 engine, there is a piece on the intake manifold that covers part of the HPOP pump cover.. It's not there on the 04 engines built after 9-29-03 nor is it on the 05-up engines.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
How many miles on the truck?
If it is under 100K, wouldn't this stuff be covered under warranty?

Ed
04' F250 C/C, SWB, 6.0L, 4x4, True Blue/Silver
ISSPRO Gauges, Firestone Air Bags, LEER Cap, Super Liner Spray In
I love my truck.
fastzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastzr1 View Post
How many miles on the truck?
If it is under 100K, wouldn't this stuff be covered under warranty?
Yes it would, if he still has warranty left........
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

fastzr1,
This truck has 103K miles on it but Ford has known for a long time about numerous problems with engine. I have to say that no they do not have to cover under warranty but it would go a long way in salvaging what's left of Ford's reputation! Buyers are flocking away from Ford because of these problems like rats from a flood! I have been all the way to headquarters in Dearborn, MI about this problem but to no avail. Here on the other hand is what GM is doing for their customers that own Duramax Diesels. A good friend of mine has one with 160K miles on it when injector pump failed GM warranteed his repairs and gave him a 200K warranty to go with it! How do you argue with that. They did the same thing for me on a 6.5L diesel as well!

Thanks,
tufenuf4u2
Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well, short of selling the truck and getting a D'max, I'd check the HPOP connector. Get the factory repair bracket kit and be done with it. Chances are the pump is good but the fitting is leaking. I have an 04. Been there, done that. Not trying to be a smart *ss, just going by experience.
ddduallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well I'm Having The Same Problem With My Truck It's An 04 F350 And I'm Getting Really Tired Of It I Have Put A New Oil Cooler In It, New Oil Pressure Sending Sensor, And Oil Temp Sensor In It. Changed The Oil And Flush The Coolant 3 Times. I Read That It Could Be A Number Of Problems, My Questions Is What Is The Problem Because I'm Tired Of Spending The Money And Not Solving The Problem. The Dealer Just Tells Us Its An Inturnal Leak. I Heard The High Pressure Oil Pump, Some Oil Rings Under The Valve Covers, It Could Be A Problem With The Bearings. I Going To Check The Oil Pressure Regutor To See If That Does Anything Because It Cheap And Easy. If Anyone Has Had This Problem And If It Please Tell Me What You Did So I Can Fix This Truck.
chmiller85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

It may just be a bad pressure regulator.

The minimum engine oil pressure specifications are 82.7 kPa (12 psi) at 700 rpm, 165.5 kPa (24 psi) at 1,200 rpm and 310.3 kPa (45 psi) at 1,800 rpm with the engine at operating temperature. Low or no pressure could be caused by the oil pressure regulator
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Here' The Fix For Oil Pressure Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmiller85 View Post
Well I'm Having The Same Problem With My Truck It's An 04 F350 And I'm Getting Really Tired Of It I Have Put A New Oil Cooler In It, New Oil Pressure Sending Sensor, And Oil Temp Sensor In It. Changed The Oil And Flush The Coolant 3 Times. I Read That It Could Be A Number Of Problems, My Questions Is What Is The Problem Because I'm Tired Of Spending The Money And Not Solving The Problem. The Dealer Just Tells Us Its An Inturnal Leak. I Heard The High Pressure Oil Pump, Some Oil Rings Under The Valve Covers, It Could Be A Problem With The Bearings. I Going To Check The Oil Pressure Regutor To See If That Does Anything Because It Cheap And Easy. If Anyone Has Had This Problem And If It Please Tell Me What You Did So I Can Fix This Truck.
My 04 F-250 went down with a oil pressure problem a couple of months ago and here is what I had to do to fix the problem. First, let me tell you that I got a hundred different diagnosis, suggestions and fixes from a hundred different mechanics but what follows is the fix that worked on my truck. I replaced the high pressure oil pump and installed a new branch tube connector, replaced the low pressure gear rotor oil pump, replaced the IPR valve, checked and made sure that valves in the oil filter canister were in good shape and working properly and while I had the turbo off I also went ahead and put a rebuild kit in it as well. The engine oil pressure is now back to normal or better. Did I have to do all the above? Probably not but I figured what the heck could it hurt being that far into the engine. I would say that you should at least replace the HPOP and branch tube and the gears in the low pressure oil pump and here is a little piece of advice on the low pressure oil pump. They sell you the gears for the low pressure oil pump for little of nothing in my case about $22.00 but then they try to get you to buy the cover for around $600.00! If the cover on your low pressure oil pump does not have deep scars or cuts in it, you do not need a new cover! I hope this information helps and let me know how it turns out.

tufenuf4u2
Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Question

I seem to have a very similar problem and it has stranded me twice already. Need to get it fixed but don't have any more warranty coverage or deep pockets.

2005 F350 6.0L.

Cranks/no start when hot but starts normally when cold. Big puff of white smoke when it starts cold then runs fine without any rpm surges, cutoffs, or gauge anomalies...

Been doing some research online and on this board, trying to diagnose it myself. From what I've found, could be...
  • injector control pressure (no trouble codes reported to trigger dummy light)
  • high pressure oil leak (need to test with high pressure air and adapter fitting, which I don't have, to test icp sensor and ipr valve).
  • high pressure oil pump discharge quick fitting seals (any diagrams or instructions on this part?)
  • seals on the oil injector oil inlets (seems like a last step sort of thing to check)
Is there a Ford checklist that is available for the shade tree guy with a scan tool and multimeter to help narrow and diagnose this issue? Don't really have another vehicle to depend on, so minimal downtime is key and dropping it off at a shop for a long time with a blank check isn't a good option for me.

Found some great pics and descriptions during my research at this http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-17.php site, but wanted to start from square 1 and not skip any steps in the diagnostic procedure. Figured maybe someone out there has a checklist that might be helpful.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.