2004 6.0L "Throttling" at low idle - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 6.0L "Throttling" at low idle

I have a 2004 F350 single wheel 6.0L Ford. It has 93,000 miles. The truck has run great so far. I have been experiencing a strange thing with the idling. I changed the air filter and added some diesel injector cleaner about 2000 miles ago and shortly after that the engine will go from idle about 600rpm to 900 rpm erratically. It obviously doesnt do this at high speeds but just idling. does anyone have any suggestions. Really a pain when you put it in gear like you are pressing the brake and gas at the same time.
globalenergies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2004 6.0L "Throttling" at low idle

You have no information listed in your signature or what location. if you are in cold weather regions this is perfectly normal. It is programmed to idle at 950 until coolant temp reaches the operation temp. Similar in operation as the choke in gas motors ( now considered the prehistoric days ). There has been reports recently here on TDS that injectors leak fuel into the cylinder after shutdown.
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unfortunatly it could be a number of different things. Egr valve, bad injector, icp sensor. I doubt if you have had the truck for that long you would not know about the warm up time and you described it as "erratic". My guess is it is some sensor. Hopefully it is still in waranty.
1997 F350 CC4X4 150K superclean truck Beans 6 pos chip! IDM mod, Pyro, Boost and Trans Autometers over mirror. Oil and Water temp in hand built "hump cubby" 4" straight pipe! . Ford V-10 trans cooler, Tymar Intake, 6 leaker intercooler. Swamps 175/146 sticks fed by Adrenaline in front of a BTS. WOP QSSB turbo e-fuel conversion and a custom CNG system. Wifes ride 2011 F350CCSWB mostly stock. My Youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXy-bV6Zks
drwoodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am in Gainesville, GA....50 miles NE of Atlanta
Old 02-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Today I noticed it at higher speeds....so I am guessing it is a sensor as said...but any ideas on how to narrow it down?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am now guessing bad fuel or/and (?) substandard injectors. These things run on 48 Volts so battery voltage needs to be above 12 volts. look at batteries first. Or get your codes read by a dealer.
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2007, 02:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

My 03' has been idling weird for 4 years now...it will sporadically idle from 650-750 or 800....now it wont even idle in the mornings for at least 20 seconds....I think I have some bad injectors. itís quiet when I start it now and the check engine light comes on...then goes off later on in the day when its been driven. The engine then starts like it used to when its warm. makes the loud cackle and revs high. Ford will tell me next week what is going on.

The other day I put it in drive and the thing lurched forward after teh engine throttle way up!! So yes I have experienced that probelm too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.