2005 6.0 liter, Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Reliability? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 liter, Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Reliability?

Hi All, brand new guy here both to the forum and to the world of diesels too. The folks over at the Airstream forums sent me your way as I need to buy a tow vehicle for a 31 foot Airstream trailer. I have an opportunity to buy a 2005 F250 4x4 with the subject engine, in doing some study I found that reliability may be an issue so I figured it best to ask those folks here. So, what do you all have to say?

Thanks,

Dan
dwest57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2005 6.0 liter, Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Reliability?

Get the Oasis report, if that is good, I'd get it.

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08

2005 Honda 450R - Under construction
2005 Kawasaki KLX110 - slow

tworocks - "yes I can smell it, but it smells better than my wife, so no complaints."
MDub707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum.

How about some more information on the trailer? What does it weigh? Is it a bumper pull or 5er? (Does Airstream even make a 5er?...forgive me for not knowing that.) If you will greatly exceed the GVWR when you're hooked up the trailer, then you might want to consider going to an F350 with higher GVWR.

As far as 2005 engine reliability goes, I haven't had any major issues to date with my engine. I've had it in the shop three times for a hanging drip of oil on the bellhousing. It still has the hanging drip, I just don't worry about it anymore. I wipe it off everytime I change the oil and forget about it.

Current Truck -- 2008 Black F350 XLT 4x4, 6.8 V10, CC Long Bed, 4.10 rear, 18" wheels, IBC. Additions: Chrome Step Bars, Chrome door handles, Silver barbed-wire pin stripe, B&W Turnover GN ball
barrelhorses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

The trailer is a 31 foot Airstream and weighs around 8100 pounds fully loaded. I would imagine it would somewhat less on most days though. Empty I think it is around 4500 pounds.

What do I do to get an Oasis report, do I just take the VIN to a Ford dealer?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep take the VIN to a ford dealer or see if one of the techs on here will do it. With that weight a 250 should be more than enough.

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4

tworocks - "yes I can smell it, but it smells better than my wife, so no complaints."
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I pull a 14k fifthwheel with my '05. I pulls very nicely. 30k on the truck and no problems period. If the Oasis report is fairly clean, I would not hesitate to buy it(if the price is reasonable).

Good luck
Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here are the specks on the truck, just FYI;
4 door, air, power windows, locks, mirrors, & seat, tilt, cruise, AM/FM in dash 6 CD shuttle, tinted windows, alloy wheels, leather, power sliding rear window, spray in bed liner, tow package, Lariat trim, FX4 4X4, 6.0 liter, Powerstroke Turbo Diesel, automatic, 58,000 + miles.

They are down to trade in value at 29.5k.

Dan
Old 01-03-2008, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

The OASIS report lists all the warranty work done on the truck. At 58000mi it will probably have had the EGR valve cleaned/replaced and a couple of oil leaks fixed. If it's not had any serious warranty issues it should be a good truck with more power than you will ever need. (you will have trouble keeping under the speed limit towing the trailer) If you get greedy and "chip" it, keep at least 10k in your savings account for new head gaskets etc.
PS give it plenty of exercise, sitting in the driveway is hard on these trucks!!!
51 Ford 8N, 2452 Bayliner, and too many more toys
gordonford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

52K on mine and only had a recall (05e15) done. Other than the recall its never been in the shop. No oil leaks and runs great. This is the best truck I have ever owned. Thanks FORD
05 F250 SD XLT Reg cab 4x4 Arizona Beige 6.0L PSD, AT, Advanced Security Group, ESOF, Fog Lights, Stabilizer Package, Tow Command System, Upfitter Switches, Aluminum Wheels, Cab Steps & Super Liner bedliner,Fumoto Valve, Air Lift Air Springs & Smart Air. Traded

2013 F250 SD XLT Reg Cab 4x4 Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD, 3.31Elock, AT, Tow Command, Upfitter Switches, Rear Camera, Aluminum Service Body, bedliner, Airlift air bags with Smart Air.
stewcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

OK folks, according to the local dealer the Oasis repair listed that there were some minor electrical problems, something to do with the fan in the heat and air, replacement of an EGR cooler and 2 injectors. Evidently it didn't want to start on occasion.

By 58 k miles would more sever problems have shown up yet?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Should be a good truck. Maintain it by the book, drive it often and beware of Powerstroke Syndrome!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

EGR seems normal... injectors could have been bad gas, but who knows!? The electrical stuff I dont think I'd worry about too much, just mostly motor/tranny stuff to look at. I'd like to see what others think about the injectors.

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4

Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Powerstroke Syndrome? What is it and is it curable....
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

You will know you have Powerstroke Syndrome when your wife complains about your sitting in your truck at 2 AM just to hear it idle. Or you get an overpowering urge to pass every corvette you see. The only known cure is to put on an aftermarket intake, a extreme preformance chip, oversized wheels and drive like a twit. The truck will let you know when it's fed up with you.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Further on Powerstroke Syndrome
Therapy:
Signs that you need therapy with your Ford diesel problem.
These were all sent by users who have undergone therapy at some point. Unfortunately, they are all beyond cure. Consider these warning signs and see a therapist as soon as possible if you exhibit more than 3 of these signs:
•After getting out of your truck you can't take more than ten steps before looking back to make sure it's still there.

•The racket it makes when it's started in the morning sounds sweeter than the opening chords of Beethoven's 9th.

•You honestly think no perfume smells as good as diesel exhaust.

•Your spousal unit begins to wonder why you're suddenly volunteering to run all the errands.

•You record fuel consumption, mileage, oil changes, and other significant events in the life of your truck with such care and accuracy that the most picky NASA scientist would conclude you're overdoing it.

•Three different neighbors have called the police after they've seen you just sitting in your truck - at 1:00 o'clock in the morning.

•You're rolling out of Las Vegas headed for L.A., it's 110 degrees at 10:00 a.m. and you're pulling 11,000 lbs of trailer up the stateline grade when you see a Dodge Cummins ahead and know that life as you know it will end if you don't pass and render it a speck in your rearview mirror.

•You hear the word "bible" and immediately think "owner's manual."

•You find yourself looking at maps to see if there isn't some way to drive to Europe instead of flying.

•Every Monday morning as you drive up the street, your neighbors are frantically running to the curb with their trash cans thinking that the garbage truck has arrived three hours early. You laugh with glee.

•The kids waiting for the school bus begin to pick up their books only to find out someone put a t444e in a pickup. You grin and wave as you motor by. You roll down the window on a cold day while driving just to hear the motor.

•When driving through a tunnel or long underpass you slightly slow down just to hear the motor reverberate off the walls.

•Your wife dabs diesel fuel behind her ears when she "wants your attention".

•You drive around with a ton of gravel just cuz it seems right.

•You can't eat and drive when you are not carrying a load.

•You pull up to places that have valet parking and purposely make sure your exhaust is placed so that you can fill the main entry with diesel fumes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.