2005 F250 slight miss to large miss then wont start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 F250 slight miss to large miss then wont start

2005 F250 6.0 w/160K miles. I've read through a lot of the threads on this site but haven't seen this exact problem.

While driving home last night, I noticed a very slight miss within 5 miles of my home. It felt like more of a tire vibration at the time. By the time I got home (about 10 minutes later), I had no power and it was all I could do to get my truck up my driveway (floored and moving at 2mph). I had driven over 400 interstate miles that day. Wouldn't crank at all once I cut it off at home. It wouldn't start this morning either at about 25 degrees F. The only codes I got from my Edge were P0263 and water in fuel (forgot code#). The water in fuel code comes on every day even though I drain and check it regularly. Truck history: Owned since new, had new EGR cooler and oil cooler installed about 18 months ago, new HPOP installed about 2 years ago (HPOP dealer purchase/install and it hasn't sounded right since). Also had the water in fuel sensor replaced about 4 months ago (along with some algae) because I never saw any water when drained. I had just ordered a Sinister EGR delete kit on my way home yesterday because I had to add coolant twice (including during my trip yesterday) in the last few weeks with the cooler leaking again. I'm taking apart now for EGR delete kit. I'm thinking the #1 injector because of the code but would one injector keep it from cranking? I'm also leaning toward replacing all injectors while I've got it apart. While taking it apart today, I noticed a "slimey" oil looking substance in the turbo intake. Sorry to be so long but I need help. Thanks
davidalan1731 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

anyone?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

well im not having the problems you are but i took my truck in due to check engine light. didnt notice anything wrong but wanted to play it safe. well they told my #1 injector and #4 glow plug are bad. but again I never had any problems while driving or idling that i noticed. sounds like it might be more than just an injector from my problem im having. sorry i couldnt help as much.

Aaron Luedtke
New Braunfels, TX
coalburnertx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I never got a check engine light. Only the P0263 code and water in fuel code.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

David I am going throug the same problem about 12,000 dollars worth of repair hpop,injectors, egr, etc. they say get rid of it 6.0l It might be the camshaft sensor I am just guessing. 120.00 in garage repair. I noticed it is a simple fix for cheap if u do it your self
Brother John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

dont know about cheap, but I am doing it myself and am up to $2650 for oil cooler, all injectors, egr delete, standpipes. I hope the HPOP is ok, just replaced 2 years ago. working on it now. looking for any other help/suggestions. Thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

When the cam shaft sensor goes out it actually will not let the fuel pump work and could cause a missing action and stalling. Is the truck turning over fine but seems to be starving for fuel? If so, my $ is on cam shaft sensor. My truck actually died. I let it sit for a little bit and it cranked back up but then sputtered and died again. I let it sit again and then would not crank. I checked everything under the sun and Ford Mech told me several diff things that wasn't even close. Took a chance and changed the cam shaft sensor and BAM!!!!! Worked like a charm. Something about the cam shaft sensor does something with the negative charge from the fuse box (not 100% sure, what was told to me by mech) that shuts down the fuel pump and throws weird lights on dash panel. I got service engine light and water in fuel light. Hope this helps
cshafer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think I would have gotten a code on my Edge if the CPS was bad. All I got was P0263 (#1 cylinder) and water in fuel. You may be right but I'm deep into it now and will get to the CPS if necessary. I did not get a service engine light. BTW, I've got 5 F350 with 7.3 and we keep CPS's in the glove box. Have to change them all the time.

I'm about to remove the valve covers now for injectors. I'll keep yall updated. Cross your fingers. Thanks...anyone else?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

when you say it wouldn't crank over do you mean that it didn't start or that the starter didn't turn the engine.if the #1 inj has issues it could be introducing air into the fuel rail, which simulates running out of fuel. as the fail grew progressively worse you would lose more and more power. the oil sludge is normal crankcase fumes.(PCV system)
nitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry, it wouldn't start. Turns over great. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Anybody know where to find the torque down specs for the standpipes? I cant find it anywhere.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ok, all new injectors, oil cooler, sinister egr delete. Truck runs now but now have P0267 and P0269 on Cyl 3. Is this just a symptom from new installation and needs to run or other problems? Anyone?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

as long as its not making any obviously wrong noises take it for a good drive. once its warmed up do a couple hard 0-60 runs. clear the codes, and monitor to see if they come back.
nitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Nitro,

It wasn't making any noises but it does have a miss. Did what you said and did a few runs. Cleared the codes with my edge and P0267 still comes back when I start it. The miss is still there. About to check the connections on the injector, including under the valve cover. Any other ideas? I installed all new injectors yesterday. I'm stumped.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Update...found a bent pin at the FICM connector, repaired and reinstalled. Now getting error code for Cyl 4 contribution error. checked FICM and had 48vdc. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.