2005 F350 Still WON'T Start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 F350 Still WON'T Start

Got a 200 King Ranch F350, had oil cooler, egr, batteries and FICM replaced. It still wont start. Dealership called and said they MIGHT have an idea of what the cause is. High pressure fuel pump. Can't afford any more parts. Anyone know what might be causing this? P.S. Its our first diesel truck.
trichardson64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

It doesn't have a high pressure fuel pump. Instead it has a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) that uses and distributes engine oil as a hydraulic fluid to the injectors (injectors have an intensifier piston that is oil driven).

The 2005 HPOP is not that unreliable, but it is common to have leaks in the high pressure oil distribution system. The dealership needs to do an air pressure leak test - if they do not have any codes to go by. Do not let them condemn the HPOP without tests that backup this decision to spend your $$. Common leak points are the STC fitting, standpipes, and dummy plugs.

Who did all of the initial work?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Our local Ford dealership. They replaced the oil cooler and egr. Then they said the batteries died and they had to jumpstart it to test drive. They told me to get both batteies replaced so I ok'd it. Then it still wouldn't start so they told me that computer scan said it was the FICM. They got that replaced and it still won't start.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Were you losing coolant before? Did you have oil in the coolant "degas bottle"? Did you get a code for excessive temperature differential between oil and coolant temps?

I guess I am wondering why the replacement of the oil and EGR coolers?

Unfortunately when you have bad batteries, a FICM failure is a "common after effect".
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 07-31-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Coolant was refilled twice in the 3 months we had it. I noticed oil under tire well after we brought it home from a rodeo. So I popped the hood and saw it came from the coolant reservoir. It had thick gray mud-looking gunk in it. I called the dealership and another local garage. I took it to the garage first. They said they would flush out the mud, they replaced oil cooler only and coolant was still same after test driving it. they then said I had a cracked cylinder that's when I took it to Page Ford. I drove it fine to the 2 miles to the dealership. I had an oil change 4 days before all this happened.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well when you see the mud, you are almost certainly in for expensive repairs. They did what they should have! Most shops will also replace all of the hoses (oil degrades the rubber) AND the Radiator/Heater Core.

Be sure to ask them about the pressure tests.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, So why isn't it starting? Whats the problem now.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

see post #2
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

you need a high pressure oil pump more than likely!!! You pretty much have to remove the intake and all the stuff on the top to get to it from what I hear. It would have been the perfect time to have replaced the hpop when they did the egr and oil cooler's!
ordered 10/7/2003: built on 11/10/2003: picked it up 11/21/2003: 2004 f-350 6.0l psd, black lariat with two tone tan on the bottom, srw, cc, lb, 4x4, fx4, auto, w/ everything except for dual alts, aic, pto option, sunroof. supposed to get heated seats and clearance lights, but somehow got left off w/o us paying though. the lights might be a summer project!!! the truck is great.

65,000k miles on it (close to it at least)
husky liners for front and rear
rhino lined bed
30k gooseneck hitch installed
jimmi jammers for the doors
vent visors for cc, bug guard up front
ford stainless grille
mbrp turbo back exhaust w/cat delete
arp head studs, egr delete
edge cts with egr probe
atlas 40 php ficm tune
sct 3015 tuner
broke factory cd player
snowcrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

As I said, he could need a high pressure oil pump - especially w/ the oil cooler failure. However - It is just as likely to be a leak in the high pressure oil piping. If so, it will be quite a bit cheaper not to have to buy a new HPOP. Why jump to the most expensive conclusion without testing?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

i just got mine back and it had the same issue-no start. turns out it was the stc, they also found the injector o rings were bad and the glow plugs were hand loose. while it was in i had the head gaskets replaced as i had the puking issue for a while. oil cooler was also plugged. all this wrong after only 120k. $8 k for the fixes.
bigwhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.