The Diesel Stop banner

2007 F250 white smoke out of tail pipe??

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  jston 
#1 ·
Recently had a refurbished 6.0 installed.

Oil components did not come with, or with warranty.

thick White smoke strted pulsing out of the tail pipe.

comes out just as much when in idle and idles rough.

read that it could be the egr cooler, so i took the valve off and saw that it was moist.

if its the egr cooler then what else could it have messed up?
thanks

#2 ·
Does the white smoke smell sweet like coolant of bitter like fuel?

#5 ·
Egr valve wet = egr cooler bad, don't jump on the head gasket bandwagon, its pretty common egr cooler gets a hairline crack and spews water in the exhaust system making lots of white smoke, blown head gaskets on the 6.0 make the degas bottle puke and overflow all over the engine!

#8 ·
Head gasket failures on a 6.0L will NOT cause this assuming it is a stock layered steel gasket. They just wont leak like that.

If the engine is idling rough I would start there. The white smoke could be the result of a bad misfire due to a base engine issue, faulty injector over fueling and yes, even a bad EGR cooler. I would start by determining the rough running concern and as mentioned, remove the EGR valve to inspect it. I have seen quite a few re-manufactured injector failures. Was this a FORD reman engine?

#9 ·
Ordered a new egr ooler, and having a diesel knowledgeable friend to help install.. but got in there today and noticed when the truck is running, oil leaking fairly quickly down the exhaust piping stemming from the engine, but can't tell what it is being sprayed from

#12 ·
Are you sure that it is oil? If you have fluid leaking from the exhaust is it very thin? Some EGR cooler failures are pretty bad and coolant is sent out into the exhaust where it picks up carbon making it look black... resembling oil. It can drip from the pipe connections and from the weep hole in the muffler.

BUT you do want to inspect and clean the turbocharger while it is off of the engine to replace the coolers.

You still have a misfire to look at and did you inspect the EGR valve for signs of coolant?

#16 ·
spewing? that indicates a LOT of flow.

what do you estimate the fluid loss rate is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.