2007 Ford 6.0 Turbo Questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2007 Ford 6.0 Turbo Questions

Hey Guys First Time Here Glad To Be Here I Own A Towing Company In Hollywood Florida I Am Doing Upgrades To My 6.0 But I Keep Hearing To Change My Turbo To A 2003 6.0 Turbo Is This A Good Upgrade Or Bull**** Please Let Me Know What Your Opinion Is.
EXECUTIVETOWING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
People do it for the noise, not performance. I cannot rememeber the exact numbers but the 03 had less blades then the later models and whisled louder. Newer ones are quiter.
Past trucks: 07 F-350 xlt 6.0 PSD LB CC SRW 4x4, black on tan, A/T, 5" exhaust w/4" downpipe, SCT livewire Traded in 04 F-250 xlt 6.0 PSD SB extcab 4x4, 6spd, all stock and 97 F-250HD xlt 7.3 PSD extcab LB 4x4, 5spd, Superchips tuner, 4" turbo back exaust, K&N CAI, 02 intercooler installed, Sold
fireguywtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Just Asking I Already Have Arp Head Studs Egr Delete Kit Diablo Sport Programmer And Air Raid Cold Air Intake. Do You Recommend Any Other Programmer That Will Tune Better To Give More Power????
Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

i would sell your diablo programmer and get an sct with custom tunes from eric at innovative. the diablo programmer will tear ur transmission up. im selling my bully dog programmer for the sct programmer. if you havent already got an exhaust mbrp is priced cheaply and is a great exhaust.tunner will burn up the engine if you dont keep your egt down!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Really Wow Impressive Exhaust I Want But Doing Repos Is A Problem With That Loud Ass Exhaust Ya Know. But I Want The Exhaust Horsepower I Currently Dont Have Any Exhaust Upgrades Due To The Noise Factor But If You Got Suggestions Please Do. They Also Say Dont Take Off The Cat Due To Engine Damage And I Dont Want That Either.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Definitely replace the Diablo Predator... That thing is bad news...

If you leave the cat in place and keep your foot out of it when you are "in stealth mode", an aftermarket exhaust is not that loud, really not much louder than stock but they flow better, so you will keep your EGTs in check with whatever programmer you run.. And since you are concerned about noise levels, you definitely do not want an 03 turbo. They are loud.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks For The Pro Advice Everyone Is Saying Sct Programmer Whats Your Pick? And Also If You Could Recommend A Exhaust It Would Be A Big Help Down Here All The Doing Is Just Running A 4" Pipe Back Its Very Loud And I Feel A Real Ghetto Rig!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I don't consider myself a "Pro" but after years of running an Edge Juice, I now have an SCT myself. However, I would caution you to avoid the Extreme/Looney/Insanity tunes unless you either install head studs or budget for them, because you will be doing them one way or the other if you run those tunes..

I would pick an exhaust system from either MBRP, Magnaflow or Silverline. All three are well known to be good fitting, high quality systems. Since they all use basically the same materials (mandrel bent tubing and very similar straight through style mufflers) they will perform pretty much the same. So my choice would be whichever one of those I could get the best deal on....
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster

Last edited by teamroper60; 06-04-2009 at 02:02 PM.
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Again Pro Lol!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

since your in the repo business then a great exhaust to keep your egts down is magnaflow. they are a lot more quieter then the other exhaust manufactures with the cat and muffler is should sound like stock at idle or low throttle. heavy throttle you get a more throaty sound that i like.
since you have head studs and egr delete kit then custom tunes would be great for your truck instead of that motor blower predator programmer. custom tunes from innovative diesel are great and since your in the towing business they have a great tow tune and if you like to have fun on the weekend they have great daily driving programs and racing one. the diffrence with the predator and the sct with custom tunes is that predator doesnt make the power or tune the transmission. it just add fuel making a bit more power and smoke. the sct w/ custom tunes, it tunes the tranny and the engine properly making the most power with your setup and doesnt blow the transmission every 30,xxx miles like predator does.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok Now Im Definitely Changing My Power Commander But I Am Stuck Between The Sct Or Now I Just Seen The Ppe Xcelerator It Claims 215hp Over 397 Ft Lbs Of Torque Now Thats Impressive Im Wanna Get Some Feedback Bs Or Truth Ya Know. The Exhaust Im Ok Now On Ill Be Purchasing Something Soon But The Commander Im Curious Help Me
Old 06-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

the ppe is just another product that just adds lots of fuel. it does not tune the transmission and if there is not tranny tuning your tranny is only going to be remebering the stock horsepower rating if there is more horsepower added then the tranny starts slippn and burnt up. the sct tunes the tranny when you pick your tune is. it locks the converter when needed and changes the tranny settings. this will save your tranny in the long run deffinetly since you tow on a regular basis.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Most tow companies around here use a V-10 truck for repos w/ dead stock exhaust. Any diesel is way too loud at idle for that work. Aftermarket exhausts usually only change the way that diesels sound under power, at idle they are all loud. Running power mods, (tuners/chips), w/o a cooler exhaust is not smart. You're going to have the slowest truck around, it will be stopped.

This might be a dumb question but why do you need more than stock power on a tow truck? Your truck makes 570 lb./ft. of torque at 1600 rpm and it's fairly dependable. Do you guys street-race tow trucks down there? I would think that dependability and economy would be the first priority w/ a work truck.

Most of the tuners that have been mentioned here are absolute junk. Might as well hook-up some nitrous to it and have a really spectacular explosion. Think about something that you plug into your ECU that claims to raise power by 200hp. Do you really think that the dinks that sell these things are that much smarter than the engineers who designed the engine who had a hundred million dollar R&D budget over a period of years and 100 years experience designing/building/selling diesel engines?? You'd also have to believe that they left a couple hundred HP on the table w/ the these motors. A basic understanding of physics kills this assumption. ~600 lbs. of torque from 6 liters is not a low-output motor.

Not meant as a flame, this post is directed at anyone who just believes the ads that these tuner companies print. They're selling junk and getting rich doing it. (Most of them, anyways). Can you squeeze more power from a turbo diesel? Of course. It's easy to get power from any turbo engine. The problem is heat. It doesn't take Stephen Hawkings to explain that energy=heat. Think about it.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

i appreciate your input minnesota i do need the power and speed to get to accidents faster and i have also had to chase a couple of repos. also considering that all 6.0 engines sooner or later will need head studs why not beef it up while your there
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Not if they're stock they won't.

Your truck to do with what you please, obviously, but you came for advice and that's mine.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.